Medics worried about shortage of painkiller, other medications

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
That worries Fitchey because morphine - the backup drug - has side effects like nausea.

Oh, silly, stupid, ignorant "journalist". You make me laugh.

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I'm confused about what is wrong with what was written in the article.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
I wasn't saying anything was particularly wrong. Just that it was a new article, but "old news" for those of us who are doing the job.

Aidey

Not you, Linuss.

OP
OP
Epi-do

Epi-do

I see dead people
Oh, silly, stupid, ignorant "journalist". You make me laugh.

I know. I would be more worried about the effects on BP and RR than the nausea, but even those aren't that concerning to me. I can manage both of them, if they were to occur.

But, now the general public can be in a tizzy over the fact that if they call for an ambulance, the drugs they may need to be given aren't available, and the backup choices are "unsafe" (because, I have enough non-medical friends that would interpret it in that manner, that I am sure plenty of others will too).

Aidey

Why is that the journalist though?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
We just got fentanyl on our ambulances, using morphine hasn't really been an issue in the past...

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Why is that the journalist though?

Because they make it seem that Fentanyl doesn't have side effects, let alone pretty much the same side effect profile, as Morphine and hence, Morphine is the worse of the two.

Steveb

Forum Lieutenant
We just got fentanyl on our ambulances, using morphine hasn't really been an issue in the past...

How long did the shortage last for your ambulance co ?

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
How long did the shortage last for your ambulance co ?

Well we never had fentanyl before, we just replace our Stadol with it this week.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
I would never want to be a run of the mill reporter, it's like being condemned to make meatloaf every night for the rest of your life yet make it interesting. So anything that strays into the kitchen is fair game.
Worse, to be an editor.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Good to know that Fitchey is still alive;

We just went 2 months with no Valium or Versed but it is back. Fentanyl is ok; so is morphine.