Medical director in a clinic setting????

lane38

Forum Ride Along
I am a medic. I may have a job in an urgent care but they were asking about what skills I could do with and without medical direction. Can someone help me understand this. Do you even have to have a medical director and can it the the Dr in the clinic???

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Either the head physician or the medical director for the facility will be your medical director. When I have worked in the ED as a Paramedic, the ED medical director (yep they have one) functioned as my medical director.

OP
OP
lane38

lane38

Forum Ride Along
Would he have to come up with his own protocols for the clinic or just use state protocols?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I know the ERs and Urgent Cares in ABQ that use medics as medics all use modified versions of state scope, usually with stuff like suturing and foley placement added. But generally the guidelines you'd operate under would be tailored to the facility.
For example, Presbyterian Healthcare in ABQ, NM has both EDs and UCs with Paramedics working, they use the same base set of guidelines, but each setting has a few tweaks compared to the other.