Medic School

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Howdy all. I just got accepted to Paramedic class. I know this has been discussed before, but I kinda wanted to give any new members teh chance to help out a poor kid.

So.... any suggestions? Comments? Anything at all?

I am currently an NREMT-B, but have had difficulty securing employment in EMS. Since basic jobs arnt working out for me, I decided to go straight to medic school. I know that at least a year of basic is recommended before Medic, but I think that I will be able to handle it. Plus, a lot of FD's around here require Medic, but will train FFI. So, Im allmost at my goal of FireFighter/Paramedic.

So, any comments or suggestions are welcome, and wish me luck, class starts Aug 23rd.

Thanks,
Russ

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
Alpha752,

CONGRATS! I'm an EMT-B, but most of my partners are going though a Paramedic program. All the fire departments around here require FF/Medic, so most FF/EMTs go on to the medic program.

Have you run any calls as a Basic? You'll have a ton of clinicals as a medic, so I wouldn't be too worried there. One thing though, I've found EMS to be one of those jobs that requires just as much hands-on experience as book knowledge. I'd try to get in some ride-alongs in an ALS unit so you can get more experience.

Hopefully others that have been through the program can offer some more advice. Congrats on getting into the program, and I really hope you come back here often and keep us updated!

Good Luck!

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
As an ALS provider (not a medic) I found that all the "experience" as BLS I had before my class (3 years) was a good foundation, but medically I really learned the most on my clinical rotations (we have to do ED, OR, Respiratory, CCU, Phleb, Medical Control, and hours upon hours of ride-a-longs). If you can start some ride-a-longs before class starts (in two weeks?) or in the early part of class when it's a little less busy, that would be very beneficial.

Also, make sure you do any pre-reqs... you didnt mention any but the classes around here all have advanced reading to do. Get it done before class! If there are no prereqs, I suggest getting a book on ECGs and rhythms to familiarize yourself with before class starts. Or, try calling the organization giving the class to see if you could pick up your texts ahead of time.

OP
OP
Alpha752

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
mmiz- Thanks. I have done ride alongs, on my own, and with my basic clinicals. I hope to do a whole lot more in the near future.

rescuelt- Thanks. Thats kinda what I was thinking. At this point in time my main concern is learning the medicine. With that as a good foundation I think I will pick up on "how it works in the real world" pretty quickly.
The only prereq is an A and P class, which, due to time constraints, I am taking along with the medic class. I know its going to kick my butt, 7 hours of class, 3 times a week, but I think ill be allright (i hope :)

I will be VERY busy in the next year (I have to keep a full time job to pay the bills on top of school), but I am looking forward to it. I really enjoyed Basic school, and think Medic is going to be even better.

Thanks again.

Russ

OP
OP
Alpha752

Alpha752

Forum Crew Member
Well, I start Monday. THe only part that I am concerned about is the Pharmacology. Remembering all those drugs and doses will be tough, but ill get it, im sure.

I cant wait!

Thanks all,
Russ

croaker260

Forum Crew Member
We give a version of these to our medic students and new hires

THE TWENTY COMMANDMENTS"
(TWICE AS MANY AS MOSES HAD!)

I ) HONESTY FIRST, LAST AND ALWAYS
2) DO IT NOW
3) DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME
4) ASK IF YOU DON'T KNOW
5) USE THE WINDOW OF OPPORTUNITY
6) DO IT YOURSELF
7) DELEGATE WITH DISCRETION
8) DON'T TRUST ANYONE TO DO YOUR JOB FOR YOU
9) SEE IT YOURSELF
10) ASSUME NOTHING
11) BE COMPLETE: DOUBLE CHECK
12) DON'T COMPLAIN: FIX IT
13) ANTICIPATE DISASTERS
14) IF IT WOULD SOUND BAD IN TOMORROWS NEWSPAPER, DONT DO IT.
15) COMMUNICATE BEFORE, NOT AFTER
16) NEVER ARGUE WITH A FOOL (People may not know the difference.)
17) NO SURPRISES
18) WRITE IT DOWN
19) READ ABOUT IT
20) SLEEP COMES LAST

Enjoy

Steve