medic school or hospital?

whatw14578

Forum Crew Member
so im having alot of people ask me if they should use their emt B in florida to go to medic school or just stay a basic and try to be like an er tech. i dont know what to tell them. at first i thought to tell them get your medic and still do hospital if you dont want to be a FF. as jobs in EMS are hard to come by in this area. also they are all university students at UNF in Jacksonville if this helps at all. as a 4th year its hard to know what to tell them. i do volly and thats good enough for me since i also dont want to do fire. but im not sure what to tell them may be medic school and then look into GA jobs?

Medic419

Forum Probie
I work in an ER today. I have been a Paramedic for almost 16 years now. If I could go back in time 16 years.....I would go to nursing school and then get my PHRN. Reason? You open yourself up to a lot of other jobs (and more money) with the PHRN. Just my $.02!

Thanks,

Dan

Remeber343

Forum Lieutenant
If you like being stuck in an ER all day go for it. Not my cup of tea. Sure it's possibly more money, but if you aren having fun with your job, what's the point?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I work in an ER today. I have been a Paramedic for almost 16 years now. If I could go back in time 16 years.....I would go to nursing school and then get my PHRN. Reason? You open yourself up to a lot of other jobs (and more money) with the PHRN. Just my $.02!

Thanks,

Dan

Off the top of my head PA is the only state I have heard of that uses PHRN, maybe MA but I'm not sure? It doesn't fly on the west coast.

What do they want to do? Do they want to be a Paramedic or do they want to be a Tech in the ER and eventually end up in nursing school? There's no cookie cutter answer for the question you're asking.

Personally I have no interest in being a nurse. I have respect for nurses but I don't want to be one at this point in time. I was playing with the idea of applying for a per diem trauma tech job at the trauma center when I finish school but I'd rather be out on the streets.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Sure it's possibly more money, but if you aren having fun with your job, what's the point?

I couldn't agree more. Enjoyment > money. I'd rather work my *** off and love my job than have an easy schedule, make cash and hate my job.