Medic School Advice

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
Hey everybody, I havent been an EMT for too long but I'm already steering towards the idea of applying to medic school. I know usually you have to take anatomy/physiology, a paramedic prep. class, and at least 1000hrs experience before they even consider you into medic school. For those medics and medic students, do you have any advice so far as what you would have done different or what you wish you'd known before you started school. Any input is appreciated :)

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I wish I would have sucked it up and finished my bachelors degree so I wouldn't be trying to figure out how I can while working full time as a medic. I'm serious, I'm a bit upset with myself for not doing it but oh well.

OP
OP
FeatherWeight

FeatherWeight

Forum Crew Member
I wish I would have sucked it up and finished my bachelors degree so I wouldn't be trying to figure out how I can while working full time as a medic. I'm serious, I'm a bit upset with myself for not doing it but oh well.

Are paramedics overworked as much as people say they are? Im sure you can have some say in your work schedule but I guess you got to take in account for rent and a family too. Good to know, thanks

thenextebell2

Forum Probie
I think the problem (if i may jump in, Rob) is more the schedule that most medics work. If you are on a 24hr shift pattern, typically it is some sort of modified Kelly schedule, so the days you work each week change. Because of this, it is fairly difficult to take classes on, say, Monday and Wednesday, since one month you may work neither of those days, and one month you may work them all... Shift trades and vacation/sick days can only stretch so far unfortunately..

EDIT: Not to say it can't be done, but it does become a fair bit harder once you have that commitment of working full-time.

Last edited by a moderator:

m0nster986

B.S, Paramedic, FF
Forget medic school unless you want to work in public safety. Otherwise study towards nursing or PA.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I think the problem (if i may jump in, Rob) is more the schedule that most medics work. If you are on a 24hr shift pattern, typically it is some sort of modified Kelly schedule, so the days you work each week change. Because of this, it is fairly difficult to take classes on, say, Monday and Wednesday, since one month you may work neither of those days, and one month you may work them all... Shift trades and vacation/sick days can only stretch so far unfortunately..

EDIT: Not to say it can't be done, but it does become a fair bit harder once you have that commitment of working full-time.

No worries! I can't speak for rotating schedules since we work 4x12s so you can fit classes in if you are willing to be tied up 6-7 days a week and work weekends.

As for the overworking it totally depends on the system you run in. We generally work our asses off in my system for the whole 12 hours, sometimes transporting 12+ patients per shift, and it's not common but sometimes we end up being held over for an hour or more if the system is slammed. With that said, we definitely have days that we don't do much of anything but those don't happen all that often.

We have burnt out medics and we have medics that love it, that goes for the Intermediates too. The job is what you make of it. If you come into work smiling everyday ready to work you are going to have an exponentially better time than you will if you come in pissed off wanting to sit on your *** all day and end up running calls back to back all day.

The salary, even working as an Intermediate through medic school, works just fine for me but you have to take into account the fact that I'm single, live with a roommate and don't have too many financial responsibilities outside of rent, utilities, phone and car insurance.