McCormick Paramedic

pl8guy

Forum Ride Along
Just put an app in for Paramedic with Mccormick ambulnce out of Torrance,CA. I've worked as a medic in la county so I know what that entails not looking to relocate out of the county. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into what to expect as far as pay, station locations, overtime, ift vs 911 workload etc. I've read up on the many posts here about Mccormick but they seemed to be more about emt positions. Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks!

VentMonkey

Family Guy
You will definitely put the EMT (P) portion of your license to good use. Have fun tearing "chevrons". At least it's cake-money?...

gonefishing

Forum Deputy Chief
Just put an app in for Paramedic with Mccormick ambulnce out of Torrance,CA. I've worked as a medic in la county so I know what that entails not looking to relocate out of the county. Just wondering if anyone has any insight into what to expect as far as pay, station locations, overtime, ift vs 911 workload etc. I've read up on the many posts here about Mccormick but they seemed to be more about emt positions. Any help will be greatly appreciated Thanks!
I have a former Paramedic partner that works there. 24 hour shifts. Straight pay at $14 an hour. Guy has over 12 years experience went from $22 an hour to $14 an hour over night after AMR shut our division down. Any who.... benefits I beleive is Kaiser and more or less as Monkey already stated you function more as an EMT.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm honestly not quite sure how much our medics are played, though I know it's about as great as our EMT pay is......

Anyway, there are currently only 3 ALS units. RA503 is out of Torrance St6, and is contractually dedicated to Torrance FD, and thus is on their 48-96 schedule.

RAs 504 and 901 are both out of Hawthorne St 1, and are on LACo's Kelley schedule (XoXooXoXoooo).

When staffing permits, all 3 are staffed dual medic. 503 in Torrance MUST be staffed dual medic per the contract, and if there's not enough medics on shift that day, they will "down" one to staff 503. Otherwise they'll try to staff 504 and 901 as 1&1 with am EMT to keep them in service. They're both part of the normal 911 rotation but officially treated as a BLS unit.
A dual medic unit can get backup 911 calls (I was in dispatch last night when Culver City called asking for a medic unit to run one of their calls, though we had to deny it because all our medic units were tied up on other calls at that time), but a 1&1 can't, though both can/will get regular County 911s and ALS IFTs.

Although we currently don't have any major ALS IFT contracts. We did have a trial Kaiser contract last year that resulted in a lot of IFTs both ALS and BLS, management didn't renew that contract and I don't know if there's any others on the horizon, all I know is that since that Kaiser trial ended every 1&1 shift I've picked up, there's been no IFTs, just 911s.

TheComebacKid

Forum Crew Member
I'm honestly not quite sure how much our medics are played, though I know it's about as great as our EMT pay is......

Anyway, there are currently only 3 ALS units. RA503 is out of Torrance St6, and is contractually dedicated to Torrance FD, and thus is on their 48-96 schedule.

RAs 504 and 901 are both out of Hawthorne St 1, and are on LACo's Kelley schedule (XoXooXoXoooo).

When staffing permits, all 3 are staffed dual medic. 503 in Torrance MUST be staffed dual medic per the contract, and if there's not enough medics on shift that day, they will "down" one to staff 503. Otherwise they'll try to staff 504 and 901 as 1&1 with am EMT to keep them in service. They're both part of the normal 911 rotation but officially treated as a BLS unit.
A dual medic unit can get backup 911 calls (I was in dispatch last night when Culver City called asking for a medic unit to run one of their calls, though we had to deny it because all our medic units were tied up on other calls at that time), but a 1&1 can't, though both can/will get regular County 911s and ALS IFTs.

Although we currently don't have any major ALS IFT contracts. We did have a trial Kaiser contract last year that resulted in a lot of IFTs both ALS and BLS, management didn't renew that contract and I don't know if there's any others on the horizon, all I know is that since that Kaiser trial ended every 1&1 shift I've picked up, there's been no IFTs, just 911s.

Kaiser, as well as VA hospital are no more.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
Acadian out here or AMR would start that medic at around $23/hour.

toyskater86

Forum Lieutenant
I worked at mc when the medics made $9.00 per hour and the EMTs were at $8.00. One time a dual medic (504) made it on scene of a diff breather (and a frequent flyer that we all new) and started the patient on albuterol. County fire showed up and ripped them a new one because they said regardless of the fact that they are licensed paramedics in la county, only the fire department can handle control of patient care.... it really sucked and McCormick put a memo out confirming that their medics are BLS on 911 calls unless asked to Intervene by la county..

TheComebacKid

Forum Crew Member
I worked at mc when the medics made $9.00 per hour and the EMTs were at $8.00. One time a dual medic (504) made it on scene of a diff breather (and a frequent flyer that we all new) and started the patient on albuterol. County fire showed up and ripped them a new one because they said regardless of the fact that they are licensed paramedics in la county, only the fire department can handle control of patient care.... it really sucked and McCormick put a memo out confirming that their medics are BLS on 911 calls unless asked to Intervene by la county..

That sounds very accurate. Most McCormick medics say that they can only perform ALS interventions if they personally know the paramedics they are responding with, even though they are a fully equipped ALS unit.

BobBarker

Forum Lieutenant
That sounds very accurate. Most McCormick medics say that they can only perform ALS interventions if they personally know the paramedics they are responding with, even though they are a fully equipped ALS unit.
Seriously, what ever happened to all working as a team to make sure the patient receives the best care?
Reminds me of my father's dialysis center. The nurses always treated the technicians like ****, because they have an RN on their shirt. As long as you are doing your job correctly, fabulous. If more people worked as a team rather than a me vs you mentality, things would be a lot better.

FoleyArtist

More murse than medic now...
$17.45 an hour. Overtime after 8 hours. Union shop.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

step 1 was $16.16, and its OT after 40hr in the week. straight pay otherwise. so on a 3/4 schedule you only made OT on your long week. in all honesty it equaled out the same as the 8hr work week schedule