MAST Trousers

emtbuff

Forum Captain
Hey since we are discussing and comparing what we use wondering what your protocals is on using the MAST or PASG trousers. I know we are not allowed to use the MAST trousers. Just wondering.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
We're not allowed to use them and they're not on the trucks.

I was taught how to use them, have used them on dummies, but have never seen them used in the field.

coloradoemt

Forum Asst. Chief
We have been trained on them as well. I think only one of our engines have one onboard. I have been instructed not to use them but things change rapidly around here...

TTLWHKR

Forum Deputy Chief
PA doesn't require them, that is on the "optional" list. We still carry adult & Pedi MAST kits. We need to either call or radio medical command to get permission to use them. I've had the opportunity to use the adult kit twice; once for a man struck by a car at 55mph, thrown 60 feet. He coded a few hours later. The second for a woman who had a horse fall on her, used it for shock & to stablize a possibly fractured pelvis w/ internal bleeding.

They are a mess to clean up for service again.

Pennsylvania BLS Protocol for MAST Suit Application

Criteria:
A. Patients with suspected fractures of the pelvis.1
1. Traction splinting is preferred for patients with isolated femur fractures.
2. Padded board splints or similar splinting devices are preferred for isolated tibia/ fibula
fractures.
B. Patients with shock due to blunt abdominal trauma or other cause. [This is a relative indication,
but may be considered if transport time is long.]
Exclusion Criteria:
A. Pulmonary edema or CHF
B. Chest trauma with possible pulmonary injury.
System Requirements:
A. MAST suit. (MAST suit is optional equipment for BLS and ALS)
B. If carried by service, practitioners must have MAST training as part of their EMT course
curriculum or practitioners must complete MAST training/continuing education course or service
medical director must verify skill competency.
Procedure:
A. All patients:
1. Remove all of patient’s clothing, including undergarments.
2. Place the garment under patient with the top of the garment just below the inferior margin of
the rib cage.
3. Enclose the leg sections then the abdomen section and secure.
4. If considering MAST as treatment for shock, medical command must be contacted to
receive orders to inflate the MAST. This is not necessary when only used as a splinting
device.
5. Open the stopcocks to the appropriate leg/abdomen sections:
a. Abdominal section must not be inflated in patient that is suspected to be pregnant.
b. For suspected pelvic fractures, inflate all sections.
c. For lower extremity fractures, inflate only the affected extremity.
6. Inflate the MAST similar to an air splint, using the foot pump, until slight finger pressure
causes indentation in the splint.3
7. Close all valves.
8. Record the patient’s blood pressure.
9. Do not deflate the MAST garment, unless ordered to do so by a medical command
physician.4

GFD940

Forum Probie
Our protocol allows them as a last resort in a suspected AAA. A pelvis fracture is the best use for them. If you use them for hypotension from any trauma all it does is push what little blood is left out the holes.

rescuecpt

Community Leader Emeritus
We can use them for shock on non-pregnant patients without open abdominal/chest wounds. We can also use them to help stop arterial bleeds.

That said, I've used it once in 5 years.

shorthairedpunk

Forum Lieutenant
our system has allowed the services to reclaim the space on the busses and chuck the MAST trousers. The only protocol for their use we had left was for unstable pelvic Fx, and a pelvic sheet wrap works just as well and requires much less movement for the patient, not to mention you eliminate the potential for improper use and the problems that arise from that

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
Originally posted by shorthairedpunk@Feb 13 2005, 10:31 PM
our system has allowed the services to reclaim the space on the busses and chuck the MAST trousers. The only protocol for their use we had left was for unstable pelvic Fx, and a pelvic sheet wrap works just as well and requires much less movement for the patient, not to mention you eliminate the potential for improper use and the problems that arise from that
This is about the only current "excuse" for their presence around here. That and as big, expensive air splints for legs.

Jon

emtal233

Forum Crew Member
We still have MAST in my voliie ambulance corps, mainly because od the state. In NYC they are no longer in protocal and no longer on the trucks, which is good it made room for more stuff.

emtchicky156

Forum Crew Member
I was trained in the use of the MAST pants in emt-b, even used them on each other. I believe we have a pair on at least one of our rigs, but I have never seen them used in the field.

Wingnut

EMS Junkie
The county just north of us still has them on the rigs. And we were trained to use them as EMT-B's, but our county doesn't have them. I've noticed the medics that have been out in the field a while have several uses for them, while the newer medics don't.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Our protocol for EMTs is that we can assist a medic in applying them, but that's it. We could theoretically use them as an air spint on our own, but that's a moot point since we don't have any on our department anyway. I'm not sure any of the ALS units around here are even carrying them anymore.

KEVD18

Forum Deputy Chief
still a mass skill, but nobdy uses them. not even in the bus