Massachusetts

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
I'm just wondering if anybody here can tell me a little bit more about living in Massachusetts (laws, weather, economy, EMS system, etc.). I'm thinking about moving there in about a year and was just wondering what it's like.

I'm also trying to decide between doing the medic program at the community college I'm at now or if I should pursue a program in MA. The program at my school isn't a nationally accredited program, but I also know that there aren't any nationally accredited programs in MA either, so what would you guys do? I'm finishing up my prerequisites right now, so I guess now is my chance to decide what I want to do. Thanks in advance.

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Really depends on where in MA you go. You could either live in the greater Boston area, or Boston itself. Or you could live in Western or Central MA in Springfield or Worcester. Cost of living is pretty substantial in Boston and the MetroWest area. Also depends on whether or not you are a Sox fan! :p

JPINFV

Gadfly
Weather sucks, but then again I'm spoiled with good weather 360 days/year.

Wombat, does being a fan of the Soxs losing count?

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Wombat; I was thinking about moving to Whitman. Sorry, I should have put that in my original post lol

imurphy

Forum Captain
Well I moved here from Ireland. It's a pretty good place to live really. If you go somewhere outside Boston, but on the T, rent is cheap enough.

boingo

Forum Asst. Chief
Conveniently enough, CMTI inc runs a Paramedic program in Whitman. I believe its cmtiinc.com. The weather doesn't suck, well, maybe a bit. If you like variety, then you'll be happy, probably not way off from coastal OR but not as scenic.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The weather doesn't suck, well, maybe a bit. If you like variety, then you'll be happy, probably not way off from coastal OR but not as scenic.

Enjoy that 44 degree high on Saturday. It's just barely above the low temperature out here. :D

Manic_Wombat

Forum Crew Member
Haha in reality I don't think your sports team allegiance really matters to anyone, but I wouldn't wear a yankees hat to fenway. I wish I could tell you more about southern ma, but I have lived in the metrowest region my whole life. In my town, EMS is provided by a professional fd where all the FFs are also paramedics. There are plenty of private ambulance companies too, namely AMR, Fallon, Armstrong, Cataldo off the top of my head. Some of these are privately contracted to stage ambulances at fire stations to roll with the engine companies to EMS calls but those are mostly paramedics. I took my class at AMR in Natick right outside of Boston and they provide both 911 service and transport for quite a large region. Ems in Boston is provided by a separate entity called Boston EMS which is separate from Boston FD but I can't remember if it is private or not. Hope that helps!

JPINFV

Gadfly
Boston EMS is a government agency just like the police or fire departments.

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
Boston EMS is municipal

It really depends where you want to live. I live and cambridge and work the metro north-ish area.

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
I live in Maine... it's cold, wet, cold, foggy, and cold. Fortunately I'm a cold-weather kinda guy.

It's probably worlds different in the Boston area, but any mention of "private companies" or "BLS ambulances" out here, and EMT's will look at you like you're retarded. It's mostly ALS, hospital-based, as EMS should be. Though there are a few FD's trying to join the fun.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Thanks for all the help so far. I still am really trying to decide where I want to go to paramedic school unfortunately. I would really like to (eventually) work for a FD as a firefighter/paramedic, so I imagine that that is how the smaller towns run their EMS, am I correct?

eveningsky339

Forum Lieutenant
Thanks for all the help so far. I still am really trying to decide where I want to go to paramedic school unfortunately. I would really like to (eventually) work for a FD as a firefighter/paramedic, so I imagine that that is how the smaller towns run their EMS, am I correct?

A town of say, 10,000 souls, is most likely going to be serviced by a regional EMS-only system operating out of a hospital and maybe a few bases scattered elsewhere in the county. Fire departments are all volly save for one pay-by-call. They do operate one ambo, but again, it's only pay-by-call.

Small cities such as Lewiston, Maine do have EMS handled by the fire department. I'm not sure if it's dual-role FF/medic or single-role medic operated ambulances, you would have to contact the various departments.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
A town of say, 10,000 souls, is most likely going to be serviced by a regional EMS-only system operating out of a hospital and maybe a few bases scattered elsewhere in the county. Fire departments are all volly save for one pay-by-call. They do operate one ambo, but again, it's only pay-by-call.

Small cities such as Lewiston, Maine do have EMS handled by the fire department. I'm not sure if it's dual-role FF/medic or single-role medic operated ambulances, you would have to contact the various departments.
Alright, thank you. Yeah, I was planning on moving to Whitman so that's around 14,000 I believe, so I'm guessing they'd be served by somebody out of Boston.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

Are you talking about MA or ME? In MA, that system is not common, outside of parts of northwestern MA.

Whitman FD provides EMS for the town, or at least they hold an ambulance license for 2 Paramedic level vehicles. It appears as though the ambulances are staffed entirely by Career FFs.

MA is the land of the private ambulance service. Privates and Career FFs cover almost every town in MA, and there are no longer many volunteer departments (most common in Western MA).

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
In the Boston area you have cities that are fire department run. Some are ALS and some are BLS and privates to back them up. You also have TONS of tons that are run by privates. Every town does it differently.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Are you talking about MA or ME? In MA, that system is not common, outside of parts of northwestern MA.

Whitman FD provides EMS for the town, or at least they hold an ambulance license for 2 Paramedic level vehicles. It appears as though the ambulances are staffed entirely by Career FFs.

MA is the land of the private ambulance service. Privates and Career FFs cover almost every town in MA, and there are no longer many volunteer departments (most common in Western MA).

Ok, thank you, that's what I was really hoping to hear lol. You guys have been really helpful so far. If I'm not mistaken, Northeastern has a paramedic program, what's everyone's opinion of it?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Um.... Northeastern paramedic program has been around for quite some time, and long ago, as I understand, was regarded well. They have always been one of the most expensive around, and used to send their students to Newark, NJ or NYC for ride time. They had some problems a few years ago, and took a hiatus from paramedic education.
Just recently, they have reopened, with new leadership and evidently a brand new curriculum and staff. We will see how it goes. As of now, I cant speak highly or poorly of the program. Can others?

mikeN

Forum Lieutenant
I wouldn't call it a hiatus.

Go someplace cheaper. Look into pro, boston ems or mass bay.
Yes, word is that BEMS will be throwing together a medic class.