Massachusetts EMT Jobs

chrisp368

Forum Probie
Just became a certified EMT in Massachusetts this past week. Now time to start looking for jobs. Anyone know of ambulance services, hospitals, or any other type of jobs that require an EMT certification out there. Open to anything and everything.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
First, do a search since this is a fairly common thread. I hate when someone says "do a search." and leaves it at that, so I will provide more than that.

It's not likely that a newly certified EMT will be hired as an ER tech at a hospital.

It is possible to get a job at a private ambulance service, despite what some may say. Hull is not that far from Boston so you do have a bunch of places that you could apply to.

Here is a list of companies I applied to in June of this year. I live in the MetroWest area. I did a get a job with one them, and I was/am a 19 year old college student with no experience.

Action--Wilmington
Alert--Hyde Park and Fall River
AMR--Natick, locations everywhere
Armstrong--Arlington
Brewster--Boston (Hyde Park)
Cataldo/Atlantic--Boston and North Shore
Eascare--Boston
Fallon--Quincy
Lifeline--Woburn
Caritas/Norwood Hospital EMS
Events--Millis
McCall--Dorchester
American--Boston (formerly known as General, Mercy, and Samaritan)
South Shore Hospital EMS--Weymouth
Eastern--Woburn

I know that Brewster recently hired a bunch of people since they won the VA contract, not sure what the status with that is now.

CHITOWNMEDIC

Forum Probie
Mass. EMS

Congrats ! You live in the land of pre-hospital opportunity! There are so many privates there, you can almost throw a stone in any direction and hit one. I know Cataldo is good, so is Fallon on the South Shore (Quincy). There's Lifeline all along the western perimeter of the Metro area & Hudson/Marlborough out a little West from Boston. Ahhh what I wouldn't give to come back to Boston :cool:
P.S. Brewster is still in business ? Wow I didn't know that.

Last edited by a moderator:

Steam Engine

Forum Lieutenant
Private IFT is going to be your best bet for a first job with no experience...that list pretty much covers the private services in the Greater Boston area. I'll give you the same advice I give everyone when applying for a job. Apply everywhere, even if the company doesn't appear to be actively hiring. Unless specifically requested, don't turn in any applications online...dress nicely, and turn in all applications in person, and be prepared for an interview on the spot.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Congrats ! You live in the land of pre-hospital opportunity! There are so many privates there, you can almost throw a stone in any direction and hit one. I know Cataldo is good, so is Fallon on the South Shore (Quincy). There's Lifeline all along the western perimeter of the Metro area & Hudson/Marlborough out a little West from Boston. Ahhh what I wouldn't give to come back to Boston :cool:
P.S. Brewster is still in business ? Wow I didn't know that.

The info's a touch out of date, but I like the attitude. Brewster resurrected itself recently and appears to be doing alright.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
The information about companies is always changing... hiring and availabilities are always fluctuating...
Brewster has recently doubled in size in response to a new (Large) contract... so likely isn't hiring now. McCall is steadily growing, and it's worth an application. AFAIK, most other companies are hiring, but do so in cycles, every month or three... I suggest you submit applications broadly, follow up politely but persistently and visit headquarters if possible.

Good Luck!

OP
OP
C

chrisp368

Forum Probie
So it's been almost 3 months since I have received my certification and I still have yet to find a job. I've applied to McCall, Eascare, Brewster and Fallon and have yet to hear anything. What should be my next move?

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I encourage you to follow the advice discussed broadly on other discussions of jobs in Boston and EMS employment elsewhere. Dress nicely, and bring a copy of your application, resume and driving record, and drive around to area companies, looking for an HR person and an on-spot interview.

shanary

Forum Ride Along
So it's been almost 3 months since I have received my certification and I still have yet to find a job. I've applied to McCall, Eascare, Brewster and Fallon and have yet to hear anything. What should be my next move?

Did you follow up with McCall? You should if you haven't because they are hiring pretty regularly. You should follow up with everyone but I know they are bringing in people all the time.

OP
OP
C

chrisp368

Forum Probie
I followed up with McCall, they lady wasn't there and they said to call back tomorrow. Eascare I called today, no answer so I left a message. I've emailed one of the guys over at Brewster about 5 times in the two past weeks and haven't heard anything. Im taking the NREMT in a week and half so hopefully I can pass that and maybe it can give me an edge.

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
St.Vincents hospital in worcester is always looking for Emt-B..my mom works there and so did i before i decided to get into EMS... I know also umass worcester is on a hiring freeze as i was told..And Eascare in worcester ma, i believe is possibly hiring

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
i have a friend that works for brewster hes helping me with studying for my written...i can see whats goin on with brewster if ya like

OP
OP
C

chrisp368

Forum Probie
Yeah that would greatly appreciated if you could. I'm going to give a call over there tomorrow cause apparently they don't respond to emails.

OP
OP
C

chrisp368

Forum Probie
I've already applied to these places. I'm just trying to follow up with them. Anyone know about Fallon or Lifeline or any other company for that matter. I heard Fallon just made some cuts from management and heard that Lifeline is dealing with some problems of its own.

TbArbie

Forum Crew Member
The reason there were management cuts was due to that fallon became reliant, from what i was told by a friend of mine who applied there also