Maryland Private ALS Services

WestTac1

Forum Probie
Besides Transcare, who are the private and other ALS providers (Interfacility and 911) in Maryland, primarily around the Hagerstown area?

Thanks!

Wayfaring Man

Forum Crew Member
In Hagerstown itself there's Community Rescue Service, Inc., which handles 911 for Hagerstown proper and some of the surrounding areas. My understanding, and maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, is that Washington County does not have a county system like Frederick or Montgomery's DFRS, so the 911 is handled by different independent companies. So look at for example CRS and then also whatever other fire departments run EMS in the county.

Not sure regarding IFT gigs, or who does those ALS. I think Butler might run BLS out there but I don't know if they do ALS.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Yes, we have butler. I have only seen them do BLS though.

In Montgomery County and surrounding areas, we have LifeStar Response, Team Critical Care (TCC), ProCare, Hart to Heart, AMR, East Coast Ambulance,

Wayfaring Man

Forum Crew Member
Frdude1000 what do you know about ProCare Ambulance? I see them hiring basics out in the metro area but haven't heard if they're any good or not for IFT gigs.

frdude1000

Forum Captain
Don't know much about procare. Their rigs seem decent, not sure what hospitals they have contracts with or how their management is. Will see if I can find out more.

dutemplar

Forum Captain
Mildly dated, but with a drive to DC you have both AMR and Lifestar. They are what they are... Commercial for profit IFT companies. AMR pays for experience, most of the rest do not.

East of there, Hart to Hart, Procare, Johns Hopkins, University of Maryland...

I can say I do regret moving down from PA and working in the Philly burbs.

I'll happy to chat privately if people are still looking.

MedicBender

Forum Captain
There are no private 911 services in MD, all 911 is handled by either fire or 3rd service.

The only private "911" service would be Riderwood village. They run an ALS ambulance most days. You need to have MD Paramedic though, they won't sponsor you for your license.

Wayfaring Man

Forum Crew Member
That's not really true. There is some non-fire EMS. I guess you could consider that "3rd Service" but for example CRS in Hagerstown is a private company, that is, it's not governmental.

Additionally, as an update, Butler does run Paramedic and Nursing units, but only has a few out of Hagerstown. They run an SCT-RN bus out of Owings Mill, and a few CCEMT-P ALS units for IFT out of Hagerstown, Owings Mill, and Beltsville.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Just as a point of order, a third service is a governmental agency that is exclusively EMS. Police, fire and EMS would be the third service. Private companies that subcontract to a municipality are NOT a third service. They may work as a PUM, like EMSA or REMSA, but not a third service.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Just as a point of order, a third service is a governmental agency that is exclusively EMS. Police, fire and EMS would be the third service. Private companies that subcontract to a municipality are NOT a third service. They may work as a PUM, like EMSA or REMSA, but not a third service.

However a private contracted by a city doesn't automatically make it a PUM.
It's a complicated system of contracted agencies that I can explain but that's completely off topic.