Map Test

BubblegumRip

Forum Ride Along
I want to apologize in advance if this is not the correct thread to post this.
Background; I applied to an ambulance service that offered paid training to be an EMT if you met the requirements for their tests. I passed the ACCUPLACER test and next and final is the Physical Agility Test. It consists of a map test (my question), an essay, and push-ups or sit up not judged against anyone.
What will this map test consist of? Has anyone ever had to do an essay? If so, what is this test gonna be like?

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
What will this map test consist of? Has anyone ever had to do an essay? If so, what is this test gonna be like?
If I had to take a guess, I would think the map testis an evaluation of your knowledge of your response area, or your ability to read a map, and provide directions to a place you don't know how to get to. I have no idea what the essay will invovle.

if you wanted a better answer, you should direct it to the ambulance service who is giving your the test.

Jim37F

Forum Deputy Chief
Interesting that a Physical Agility Test includes a map test....

Probably a seperate thing, but anyways, Probably something like they give you a map of their response area and say "Find XYZ address" or "Find ABC Point of Interest" or "If I tell you to look at Map Grid C-4, what is the main intersection there?".

Like for an initial hire map test I doubt it would be "memorize every little side street" and more "Can you read a map so we can give you one and trust you can actually find your way around in the real world with it" type deal

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
This topic has been posted quite a few times over the years but never really answered.

It would be awesome if you could report back on what your map test included.

OP
OP
B

BubblegumRip

Forum Ride Along
If I had to take a guess, I would think the map testis an evaluation of your knowledge of your response area, or your ability to read a map, and provide directions to a place you don't know how to get to. I have no idea what the essay will invovle.

if you wanted a better answer, you should direct it to the ambulance service who is giving your the test.
I contacted them about what the PAT entailed and this was the most info they could give me, thanks for the insight it definitely helps my nerves

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I want to apologize in advance if this is not the correct thread to post this.
Background; I applied to an ambulance service that offered paid training to be an EMT if you met the requirements for their tests. I passed the ACCUPLACER test and next and final is the Physical Agility Test. It consists of a map test (my question), an essay, and push-ups or sit up not judged against anyone.
I would call and ask, there are so many potentials.

My agency does a map test on its entrance exam, the map used is an area of Portland, ME and we are in Colorado. It's ten questions to assess if you can read a map and formulate a route.