Man jumps out of ambulance (news article)

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
RIP Brett, I'll miss you man.

The company transporting him has a policy of all 5150's are restrained. Someone is getting in trouble and they deserve some form of punishment, if they didn't follow protocol. Sad day all around as I am close to the company and knew Brett very well.

JPINFV

Gadfly

The company transporting him has a policy of all 5150's are restrained. Someone is getting in trouble and they deserve some form of punishment, if they didn't follow protocol. Sad day all around as I am close to the company and knew Brett very well.

Pacific Ambulance's restraint policy CANNOT overrule Orange County LEMSA's restraint policy. From the OCLEMSA restraint policy:

"Restraints should be used only when less restrictive techniques are unsuccessful, impractical, or likely to endanger the patient or others."

http://www.ochealthinfo.com/docs/medical/ems/P&P/330.57.pdf

I do not buy that every patient under a 5150 (or 5250 or T-conn) needs to be restrained, and the decision whether to restrain or not should be up to the crew based on the individual circumstances involved. In fact, I had more than one transport when I was working in OC that went off without a hitch where it would have been counterproductive to force a patient into restraints.

Edit: ...and before anyone gets on me for mentioning that it was Pacific Ambulance, look through the pictures in the OC Register article.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

So the 10 year old girl who has PTSD and is suicidal due to a Hx of child abuse should be restrained?

My company has a similar policy. It's a foolish and illegal catch-all so responsibility doesn't land on the company when something like this happens.

If you read the story, he was restrained, and got out.

Your argument is nil.

Sucks that mental disorders can lead someone to do something like this. It's no fault of the ambulance crew, and any punishment that is doled out is unfair and is just the company trying to save face when really, they don't need to.

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
So the 10 year old girl who has PTSD and is suicidal due to a Hx of child abuse should be restrained?

My company has a similar policy. It's a foolish and illegal catch-all so responsibility doesn't land on the company when something like this happens.

If you read the story, he was restrained, and got out.

Your argument is nil.

Sucks that mental disorders can lead someone to do something like this. It's no fault of the ambulance crew, and any punishment that is doled out is unfair and is just the company trying to save face when really, they don't need to.

Who said anything about a 10 year old girl? I didn't. That's a totally different circumstance, clearly I know a lot more about the situation that I will not post, so leave it out. I'm not blaming anyone but fault lands somewhere.

I won't be commenting on this anymore. RIP Brett, we all miss you.

OP
OP
E

eman00

Forum Crew Member
which kind of restraints does pacific ambulance use that the pt was able to get out of them?

JPINFV

Gadfly
Who said anything about a 10 year old girl? I didn't. That's a totally different circumstance, clearly I know a lot more about the situation that I will not post, so leave it out. I'm not blaming anyone but fault lands somewhere.

If the policy is "All 5150s get restrained," then I'm going to assume that it also includes minors under WIC 5585 (since WIC 5150 doesn't apply to minors) and that "restrained" means limb restraints (since everyone should get seatbelts). As such, why wouldn't the 10 y/o girl with suicidal ideations not get limb restraints under the "all 5150s get restrained" policy? Either the presence of a 5150-esq hold is what is used to indicate restraints, or it isn't. The way I interpreted your earlier post was that punishment was due simply because the "all 5150 patients get restrained" company policy (in direct violation of county policy, I might add) was violated, not because of the specifics involved with this patient.

Last edited by a moderator:

BF2BC EMT

Forum Crew Member
If the policy is "All 5150s get restrained," then I'm going to assume that it also includes minors under WIC 5585 (since WIC 5150 doesn't apply to minors) and that "restrained" includes limb restraints (since everyone should get seatbelts). As such, why wouldn't the 10 y/o girl with suicidal intentions not get limb restraints under the "all 5150s get restrained" policy? Either the presence of a 5150-esq hold is what is used to indicate restraints, or it isn't.

They should, and I do agree with everyone it is a judgement call. But in this case it's a company policy. I am way to biased for a debate JPINFV, Merry Christmas.

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

I won't be commenting on this anymore. RIP Brett, we all miss you.

It seems like you knew him, so keep in mind that none of this is said to discount your grief.

Why does fault have to land anywhere? The man had psychiatric issues, and those ended up killing him. It sucks, I know. I've been in a situation where a combative psych patient has gotten out of their restraints and left my ambulance. Fortunately they weren't injured and we were able to regain control of the situation, but its not always going to be like that. This is one of those cases.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk