Magna Fortis Metacardia or better?

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I have done a search and I have not found that much info on Magna Fortis Metacardia on this forum. I just passed my EMT class (last Saturday) and my family wants to get this stethoscope for me. I have found it for about $155. Is this stethoscope worth the money or is there a better one out there?

mikie

Forum Lurker
Is this stethoscope worth the money or is there a better one out there?

No. And yes there are better ones out there. You can spend hundreds if not thousnands on them. As a basic, all we pretty much use them for is BP and lung sounds. Bare in mind that things go 'missing' and do you really want to spend another 150 again?

I understand wanting a nice scope, so get a 3M Littmann, range from $30-500

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
No. And yes there are better ones out there. You can spend hundreds if not thousnands on them. As a basic, all we pretty much use them for is BP and lung sounds. Bare in mind that things go 'missing' and do you really want to spend another 150 again?

Littmann Lightweight SE 2. Specifically made for grunt work EMS. 50-60$.

exodus

Forum Deputy Chief
The Masters version of all the scopes are better than the standard, it only has one acoustic diaphraghm, so there's less intrusion of noises. I have a Littman Masters II SE. I got it for 135. Totally worth it.

OP
OP
ClarkKent

ClarkKent

Forum Lieutenant
I know that I am not an MD, RN nor an EMT-P. Hell I just passed my EMT-B class and have not taken my NREMT test just yet. But you are right, I do want a nice scope for now. I am looking at volunteering for a fire department so I would like to have my own tools.

AJ Hidell

Forum Deputy Chief
I propose a new rule:

Stethoscope thread = automatic lifetime ban

Afflixion

Forum Captain
he did say he searched the previous threads for it. Though it should probably be in equipment section. As for the steth haven't used one personally but I hear their good still a little to pricey for field work imo.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Do you know heart tones/sounds more than the "lub dub" or be able to differentiate murmors, clicks or gallops? Do you plan to within the next year? If not it is to pricey for your needs.

R/r 911

Jon

Administrator
Community Leader
The Masters version of all the scopes are better than the standard, it only has one acoustic diaphraghm, so there's less intrusion of noises. I have a Littman Masters II SE. I got it for 135. Totally worth it.
$135?

Do a search on eBay... you can often find them MUCH cheaper. I think I paid $70 for mine.

medic417

The Truth Provider
I propose a new rule:

Stethoscope thread = automatic lifetime ban

Amen brother. Why not add his question onto one of the thousand or so discussions on here?