MA company info

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Results of my own forum searches may follow. For the moment, I took a look at Boston EMS's most recent service zone plan.

It includes a list of the services that they recognize as backup and their ambulance counts. The relevant info is reproduced below. I wouldn't suggest calling the contact numbers.

Action Ambulance: 23
Alert Ambulance: 48
American Ambulance: 16
American Medical Response: 178
Armstrong Ambulance: 56
Brewster Ambulance: 6
Cataldo Ambulance: 76
EasCare Ambulance: 72
Fallon Ambulance: 72
Lifeline Ambulance: 31
McCall’s Ambulance: 8
Professional Ambulance: 13

Page 46 also has a list of facility contracts by provider within the city; it appears incomplete and out of date.

The rest of the document seems to contain a lot of non-provider-relevant info, including photocopies of all of the privates' agreements with Boston EMS, and a number of pages of radio standards and voice procedure (starting on p. 108) that include directions for communicating with CMED.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Results of my own forum searches may follow. For the moment, I took a look at Boston EMS's most recent service zone plan.

It includes a list of the services that they recognize as backup and their ambulance counts. The relevant info is reproduced below. I wouldn't suggest calling the contact numbers.

Action Ambulance: 23
Alert Ambulance: 48
American Ambulance: 16
American Medical Response: 178
Armstrong Ambulance: 56
Brewster Ambulance: 6
Cataldo Ambulance: 76
EasCare Ambulance: 72
Fallon Ambulance: 72
Lifeline Ambulance: 31
McCall’s Ambulance: 8
Professional Ambulance: 13

I know at least one of those numbers is inaccurate. More accurate numbers may be found:
http://www.mass.gov/Eeohhs2/docs/dph/emergency_services/ambulance_service_list.pdf

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Any info on vollies in MA?

From what I understand they are virtually unheard of outside of Western Mass and the Islands. I also know there are some departments closer to Boston on a call system. The list I posted above might be helpful.

nemedic

Forum Captain
Figured I wouldn't bump the old Cataldo thread, so I'll post here. Is there anyone that is currently in the hiring process for Cataldo, specifically already having taken the pre hire test and interviewed with HR? I am wondering if anyone that might be has gotten their CORI check results back. IIRC, that needs to come in before they schedule you for a physical.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
Boston EMS still doesn't have openings, but here's their permanent posting for the job: http://agency.governmentjobs.com/bphc/job_bulletin.cfm?JobID=333380

Fallon may be looking for several call-takers. I can't find much more info, so I'd suggest getting in touch with their HR department. I assume that would also be a foot in the door if you wanted to dispatch.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
I finally found a basic position in Boston. I live in the MetroWest area, and I applied to all of the companies that I could think of within 45 minutes or so. Note that I go to school in Colorado so I was only able to give them summer/winter breaks. Here's what I can tell you:

Action Wilmington
Not currently hiring basics (got a "thanks for applying" postcard).

Alert--Boston (Hyde Park) and Fall River
Might be hiring basics, heard that second hand. I couldn't get a hold of anyone via phone, email, or mail. MA/RI certified a definite plus.

AMR--Natick, locations everywhere
Last pre-hire test was in May, I was told that another would happen in June, call the Natick office/MA corporate office for hiring info.

Armstrong--Arlington
Not hiring basics for the summer, but may have openings for year-round positions.

Brewster--Boston (Roslindale)
Just finished a hiring cycle and switching over to orientation for new employees. Consider applying, this company is definitely looking to grow. They are opening a new location in Middleborough in support of their new 911 contract and push into that region.

Cataldo/Atlantic--Boston and North Shore
Not hiring basics with less than 5 years experience at this time.

Eascare--Boston
Never spoke with anyone in person, apply online.

Fallon--Quincy
Could be hiring basics, apply online and then call HR and ask to speak to someone about your app after you submit it. Otherwise you'll never hear anything.

Lifeline--Woburn
At one point they were conducting interviews for basics, but their upper level management is currently embroiled in an OEMS investigation and they are moving their corporate offices so getting in touch with HR can be tough.

Caritas/Norwood Hospital EMS
Not hiring basics, but are looking for medics.

Events--Millis
Not currently hiring basics.

American--Boston (formerly known as General, Mercy, and Samaritan)
Were "evaluating their need for basics" two weeks ago, I have no idea what they need now.

South Shore Hospital EMS--Weymouth
Position could be opening the near future, check the hospital's employment website.

Eastern--Woburn
Basic position could be opening soon, call their office on a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to talk to the guy that does the hiring.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Also, McCall is hiring basics, not sure about if they want experience.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I finally found a basic position in Boston. I live in the MetroWest area, and I applied to all of the companies that I could think of within 45 minutes or so. Note that I go to school in Colorado so I was only able to give them summer/winter breaks. Here's what I can tell you:

Action Wilmington
Not currently hiring basics (got a "thanks for applying" postcard).

Alert--Boston (Hyde Park) and Fall River
Might be hiring basics, heard that second hand. I couldn't get a hold of anyone via phone, email, or mail. MA/RI certified a definite plus.

AMR--Natick, locations everywhere
Last pre-hire test was in May, I was told that another would happen in June, call the Natick office/MA corporate office for hiring info.

Armstrong--Arlington
Not hiring basics for the summer, but may have openings for year-round positions.

Brewster--Boston (Roslindale)
Just finished a hiring cycle and switching over to orientation for new employees. Consider applying, this company is definitely looking to grow. They are opening a new location in Middleborough in support of their new 911 contract and push into that region.

Cataldo/Atlantic--Boston and North Shore
Not hiring basics with less than 5 years experience at this time.

Eascare--Boston
Never spoke with anyone in person, apply online.

Fallon--Quincy
Could be hiring basics, apply online and then call HR and ask to speak to someone about your app after you submit it. Otherwise you'll never hear anything.

Lifeline--Woburn
At one point they were conducting interviews for basics, but their upper level management is currently embroiled in an OEMS investigation and they are moving their corporate offices so getting in touch with HR can be tough.

Caritas/Norwood Hospital EMS
Not hiring basics, but are looking for medics.

Events--Millis
Not currently hiring basics.

American--Boston (formerly known as General, Mercy, and Samaritan)
Were "evaluating their need for basics" two weeks ago, I have no idea what they need now.

South Shore Hospital EMS--Weymouth
Position could be opening the near future, check the hospital's employment website.

Eastern--Woburn
Basic position could be opening soon, call their office on a Monday, Wednesday, and Friday to talk to the guy that does the hiring.

Which company did you get hired onto? Pm me if you don't wanna say it.

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Also, McCall is hiring basics, not sure about if they want experience.

As far as I'm aware they will hire basics with or without experience. Can't speak to hiring for ALS.

american paramedic

Forum Ride Along
See my addition/changes above. I largely agree.
Good Luck!

Okay to clarify a few points.

Eascare does not provide CCT. Yes they do transfer really sick patients, from one BMC campus to another (0.4 miles), but they often must take an RN

American Ambulance has changed hands a few times. The company is based out of Florida, and recently acquired Samaritan EMS, which was a company formed by the buy out and merger of Mercy, General, and Response. The new company, American, is very financially secure, and is growing steadily in Boston markets. They run bases out of Hyde Park, Brighton, East Boston, and Needham. They are upgrading there service to Critical Care, on Jan 1 2012. The paramedics and EMTs are already in school receiving their training. They will be the only private company, other than AMR (which no longer runs a team) to provide CCT level service in the state. Oh and there are no longer any ties to the russian community.

shanary

Forum Ride Along
Rumor has it that Brewster is going to need to add a lot of people this month if anyone is out there looking.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Rumor has it that Brewster is going to need to add a lot of people this month if anyone is out there looking.

Brewster picked up the VA contract for Boston and Brockton, lot's more employees needed.

Meursault

Organic Mechanic
I forgot about Spaulding. As you might have guessed, they're the in-house IFT service for the Spaulding facilities. They're small, and a partner of mine mocks them as the only 9-5 ambulance service in Boston, but I've never had any issues with them. Jobs are posted through the Partners careers site; I don't see any at the moment, but searching for "EMT" should bring them up.

Brewster picked up the VA contract for Boston and Brockton, lot's more employees needed.

So Alert's BLS side has just lost its reason to exist? Maybe Brewster will buy them out and take over RI next.

Oh and there are no longer any ties to the russian community.
Yay! I thought your employees looked like they were getting their entire paychecks. Thanks for the info, and I'm impressed.

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
Does anyone here work for Brewster? If so, would you mind shooting me a PM?

SuperScarlett

Forum Probie
For those that are interested, Brewster is holding an employment open house at their HQ tomorrow from noon-7pm. The address is 258 Hyde Park Ave, Boston 02130.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Brewster is adding an additional 12 trucks to their current 14 BLS... essentially doubling in size in response to getting the VA contract... it will be fun...

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Okay to clarify a few points.

Eascare does not provide CCT. Yes they do transfer really sick patients, from one BMC campus to another (0.4 miles), but they often must take an RN

Agreed re: American's CCT trucks... but there's rumored to be very little CCT market, compared with SCT-- the difference as I understand (at least compared to MA and CMS guidelines is ECMO, and/or 4+ med infusions).

Several companies in the Boston area do SCT (Specialty Care Transport), and more than just the intra-facillity of BMC or BI, and do so without RNS every day. Those include vented patients (including CPAP and BiPAP), IV infusions involving 90+ meds (with online medical control approval), cardiac monitoring, ICP monitoring, wound vacs, etc.