Living the dream.

Stephanie.

Forum Captain
Well I am still in orientation. I have a few more FTO rides to do, a couple 911 shifts to pull, and some hospital rotations.

When I went through EMT school in SC we weren't required to do hospital clinical or rotations. We just had to do some ride outs with our local service. Well I am required to do 12 hours ER, 12 hours OB/NICU, 12 hours PEDI, and 4 hours in the comm center. This past Sunday I was scheduled to do my 12 hour PEDI rotation. I had no idea what to expect, and the company they schedule their PEDI clinicals is Children's Medical Center Critical Care Team. I show up thinking I will just be doing ground transfers with them. THINK AGAIN. Depending on the call we will transport by ground, jet, or helicopter. SCORE! The crew consists of a RT, paramedic and RN.

1st call we transferred ground. X 25 week premature now 28 weeks with NEC and respiratory distress. Pt was 500 grams. Her thighs were the size of my pinky, and very fragile.

Then helped Dallas FD with a mass casualty MVA rollover with 2 entrapped. 5 kids and 2 adults. 1 boy had an amputated foot, 3 kids had head injuries and one was unconscious with severe hemorrhage.

Also had a 15 year old boy in DKA, and I ended my shift with a 13 YOF with asthma.

I don't have hardly any pediatric experience, so most of this was a first time for me. Definitely an awesome ride out/fly out and I would suggest to anyone. (including you Linuss!)

emt_irl

Forum Captain
sounds interesting! congrats

ive very limited pedi exposure myself and when i do its always minor stuff( thankfully)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Glad you're having fun :) I'm sitting here at my new station as we speak hoping we get something today. I'm bored :)
If I ever make it up that way I'll poke you and see about maybe trying to get on with a ridealong.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
And here I am taking granny to her nursing home after being treated for a UTI.

Oh the joys of EMS.

emtchick171

Forum Lieutenant
Sounds like you're enjoying yourself. Congrats I know it has to be exciting to see that stuff if you've never been around it before! :)