Light bar

vamike

Forum Crew Member
I am NOT a wanker. I live in a very rural mountain community and respond to calls at night from home quite often. Anyone have a dash light bar they want to sell for a very reasonable (cheap) price?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I am NOT a wanker. I live in a very rural mountain community and respond to calls at night from home quite often

If it's that rural why do you need a light? At night, there should be next to no traffic in such an isolated area. Just speaking as someone who was on rural departments for much of his ground EMS career.

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I get all of my equipment from there.

My friend, that is something you should not say publicly. LOL

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
If it's that rural why do you need a light?

'cause then the police will recognise your vehicle and undersatnd why you're driving like a maniac to the ambulance station rather than pull you over. We're rural too and we're actually required to have lights in our POVs and be registered with the police.

OP
OP
vamike

vamike

Forum Crew Member
Thank you Arctic. Usaf, I asked if anyone had a lightbar for sale, not for a smart assed answer. I loved reading this site but sarcasm and know-it-all attitudes just get old.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
Thank you Arctic. Usaf, I asked if anyone had a lightbar for sale, not for a smart assed answer. I loved reading this site but sarcasm and know-it-all attitudes just get old.

It's not sarcasm nor a know-it-all attitude. It was a simple question. Just because the fact that you don't like having your motives or line of thinking questioned does not imply that the person doing so is either being sarcastic or anything else other than the fact that they are asking why.

'cause then the police will recognise your vehicle and undersatnd why you're driving like a maniac to the ambulance station rather than pull you over. We're rural too and we're actually required to have lights in our POVs and be registered with the police.

Ah, here in the states you'll still get pulled over for driving like that. They are courtesy lights and don't give you the right to violate any traffic laws.

Lady_EMT

Forum Lieutenant

I agree with USAF... People who think emergency lights are excuse to drive like an a**h*** are the people who get themselves killed going to a call.

But back in topic, try your local town garage or PD. They usually will rotate lightbars and lights off if the cruisers, and will sell them/give them away to members or other fire/EMS departments

---
- This post brought to you by Tapatalk

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse

Why are you driving like a maniac? Can't help anyone when you're dead.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

traumaluv2011

Forum Lieutenant
Yea if you talk to your captain, he/she might be able to help. It would just be easier to buy one though. Ebay isn't a bad choice either. Plenty of whackers selling lightbars on there.

My friend, that is something you should not say publicly. LOL

I'm a whacker. I know.

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm a whacker. I know.

Then you should do something about it. Ceasing to feed your addiction would be a good start. ;)

ArcticKat

Forum Captain
Sorry, maniac was a poor choice of terms, and I, for one would be the first to jump onto the maniac bashing bandwagon.

By maniac I actually intended to convey that there might be occasions that the POV might be driven contrary to the Traffic Safety Act. Legally, as it is officially exempted from the act when responding to an emergency. Using the light and siren (if equipped) clearly identifies the vehicle as an emergency vehicle (in the eyes of the law) and that, when activated, is requesting the right of way.

If a police officer sees my car roll slowly through a stop sign, then accelerate away to a speed that might be as much as 25% (our maximum allowed speed) over the posted limit without an emergency beacon flashing, then he'd be far more likely to attempt a stop, whereas, with a light activated he, and everyone else on the road, knows that we are responding to a 911 call.

Edit:
On another related note, we can occasionally find ourselves responding to MVCs or other roadside incidents. Up here there is a law on the books requiring drivers to slow to a maximum of 60kph when passing an emergency vehicle. If we only have our OEM factory flashers activated these vehicles will not slow down, but a couple of LED strobes work wonders.

Last edited by a moderator:

Aidey

Community Leader Emeritus
I am NOT a wanker. I live in a very rural mountain community and respond to calls at night from home quite often. Anyone have a dash light bar they want to sell for a very reasonable (cheap) price?

I can't decide if this is the most hilarious typo ever or not. :rofl:

My suggestion, don't bother. If you insist on getting a light get a small light that plugs into your cigarette lighter port and just use it to mark your vehicle on scene. There are waaaaaaay too many MVCs involving emergency vehicles that are bright colors and have multiple lights and are reflective. The risk of getting into an MVC in your personal vehicle isn't worth it.

MrBrown

Forum Deputy Chief
If it's that rural why do you need a light? At night, there should be next to no traffic in such an isolated area. Just speaking as someone who was on rural departments for much of his ground EMS career.

It is possible that there may be a legislative or ordinance requirement for him to use some form of emergency light on his vehicle?

usafmedic45

Forum Deputy Chief
I can't decide if this is the most hilarious typo ever or not.

I am going with "yes".

It is possible that there may be a legislative or ordinance requirement for him to use some form of emergency light on his vehicle?

Not damn likely. If it were, the department would be telling him what to get or probably providing it.

OP
OP
vamike

vamike

Forum Crew Member
Just wanted to clarify. I dont want a 48" lightbar. Just an itty bitty light that goes on the dash. Thanks for the input all. I just wish i understood what was so funny about my original post.......:sad: LOL

lightsandsirens5

Forum Deputy Chief
Just wanted to clarify. I dont want a 48" lightbar. Just an itty bitty light that goes on the dash. Thanks for the input all. I just wish i understood what was so funny about my original post.......:sad: LOL

It's that wacker (whacker?) :-S is the common colloquialism used to describe the image you were attempting to avoid. Wanker has.....how shall we say....other....connotations?

I wonder though, with the apparent vicious and deep seated abject hatred of said wackers and other overly zealous people that this site seems to posses...I bet the wanker would be more welcome than the wacker. Hmmmmm......

I am just kidding of course.....but if you agree with the above statement, I don't think I want to hear anything about it. :rofl:

JJR512

Forum Deputy Chief
It's not sarcasm nor a know-it-all attitude. It was a simple question. Just because the fact that you don't like having your motives or line of thinking questioned does not imply that the person doing so is either being sarcastic or anything else other than the fact that they are asking why.
Ah, here in the states you'll still get pulled over for driving like that. They are courtesy lights and don't give you the right to violate any traffic laws.
I'm going to agree with vamike and ArcticKat here. Not so much that I think you, usafmedic45, were being sarcastic or know-it-all-ish, but I do think your first post in this thread served no constructive purpose. Vamike asked for help finding something. If it was me, I'd assume he knows why he wants to find that something, and if I can tell him where to look for it, I will, and if I can't, I'll keep my mouth shut. Simple as that.

Furthermore I don't believe when ArcticKat said "driving like a maniac" that he meant that literally (which ArcticKat has himself confirmed above). The lights, whether on a marked municpal ambulance, a private company ambulance, or a POV that is authorized by local law to have and use them for this purpose, do (in conjunction with a siren) give the driver of the vehicle the authority to violate certain traffic laws, as long as the driver still drives with due regard to the safety of others. The laws are different in each state and individual locality, of course, as to what can be violated and to what extent. Perhaps some states or localities are exactly like you say, usafmedic45, and the lights serve no purpose other than decoration. But that is not the case here in Maryland, one of the states where you said emergency lights "...are courtesy lights and don't give you the right to violate any traffic laws".

Finally, being a "whacker" isn't a social disease. It isn't in the DSM-IV. It isn't something that needs to be cured. And just because someone responds in a POV, even one with lights, doesn't make that person a whacker, not if that's just the way things are done in that area.

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Finally, being a "whacker" isn't a social disease. It isn't in the DSM-IV. It isn't something that needs to be cured. And just because someone responds in a POV, even one with lights, doesn't make that person a whacker, not if that's just the way things are done in that area.

...waits for the DSM-V