Legalization of Cannabis WA/ CO

Achilles

Forum Moron
I'm sure most of are aware Colorado and Washington state leagalized Cannabis.
I'm pretty sure it's still illegal under fedral law, right?
So if you have it in your possession (not smoking it, inhaling, eating or consuming it in any way) and you're pulled over, can't you still be fined under federal law?
Cannabis being an psychedelic drug and also hallucinate, has a high potential for abuse, which is why it is a schedule 1 drug per the Controlled Substance Act (CSA.) Will the scheduling of the drug ever change? Will federal law ever change? What is your opinion on the legalization.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
I will not try to debate the medical aspect of marijuana but I am of the opinion that there are more dangerous things out there are currently legal. That being said, the fact that marijuana is illegal now really means nothing. It is incredibly cheap and easy to get. Most kids in highschool can get weed easier than he can get alcohol. So why not legalize, regulate, and tax it? You would hopefully cut down on the more dangerous (Laced) product and also cut down on crime related to its sale while creating revenue.

*I personally do not smoke (or ever have) so I don't really care either way but from a public stand point in this it makes more sense to legalize it.

Also I do not think it should be schedule one. I think it was put there based on incorrect information and political propaganda from the past.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
So why not legalize, regulate, and tax it?

/thread. Our government needs money, does this not seem like a good way to help boost income especially with some of the newer information that has come out in regards to marijuana?

Yes under federal law it is still illegal and can be prosecuted as such. Only reason the schedule will change is if it becomes federally accepted for medicinal reasons or if it is legalized all together.

JPINFV

Gadfly
So if you have it in your possession (not smoking it, inhaling, eating or consuming it in any way) and you're pulled over, can't you still be fined under federal law?
Sure, but that would have to be prosecuted by a Federal prosecutor in Federal court. Additionally, nothing is going to force state and local police departments from enforcing Federal law. Basically the states are telling the Feds that they can go have fun enforcing the drug laws.

Cannabis being an psychedelic drug and also hallucinate, has a high potential for abuse, which is why it is a schedule 1 drug per the Controlled Substance Act (CSA.) Will the scheduling of the drug ever change? Will federal law ever change? What is your opinion on the legalization.

The other key part about scedule 1 is that there has to be no acceptable medical use. Hence why marijuana is schedule 1 and cocaine is scedule 2. Will it ever change? I guess it's possible to get it down to 2 or 3 assuming an acceptable use is found. However since it's so hard to do research on it due to it's scheduling, it's rather unlikely. It's schedule 1 because there's no use, and there's no research on use because it's schedule 1.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Yes it is, and yes, I suppose if a federal law enforcement agent stopped you they could fine and/or arrest you...though the number of feds doing car stops is...low to put it mildly. More likely they would be going after larger growers and retailers. Basically the same thing they've been doing to certain suppliers of medical marijuana.
Cannabis being an psychedelic drug and also hallucinate, has a high potential for abuse, which is why it is a schedule 1 drug per the Controlled Substance Act (CSA.)
Please tell me you said that with tongue firmly planted in cheek. Please tell me that...
Additionally, nothing is going to force state and local police departments from enforcing Federal law. Basically the states are telling the Feds that they can go have fun enforcing the drug laws.
Not completely true. What could easily happen would be something similar to what went on back in the day with freeway speed limits. A state (like Idaho which caved, or Montana which kind of did) does something the federal gov't doesn't like, so to get compliance they cut off certain funding to the state until they fall into line.

And to anyone who doesn't live in the Pacific Northwest, pot isn't really legalized in Washington; amounts of under 1 ounce (for dried buds) or higher for edible or liquid forms are legal for anyone over 21 to possess. With the proper state licence it will be legal to grow, process, or sell, but how all that will play out has yet to be determined; it's in the hands of the state liquor board and up to them to decided how to do it and regulate it. There's also a hefty tax on it, and provisions for handing out DUI's for driving after smoking/eating. So if the average person get's stopped with a pound or tries to grow it at home...they are still able to be legally arrested.

Basically the law was a compromise that leaned more towards keeping it ILLEGAL, which is why it pissed off so many pro-legalization groups.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
One thing to consider when pondering the likelihood of coming across a federal officer is that park rangers, game wardens, and fish and game agents are all federal agents, so that fishing trip with a little weed is a state that allows it can go very sour...

Just a thought.

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
Don't mind me I'll just be stacking these sand bags over here in front of this comfy lawn chair where I can watch the show :)

Federal law trumps state law by the way so yes you could be arrested for something that is considered legal by the state. As an example pot store owners in California are raided arrested and charged by federal agents on occasion.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
Don't mind me I'll just be stacking these sand bags over here in front of this comfy lawn chair where I can watch the show :)

Federal law trumps state law by the way so yes you could be arrested for something that is considered legal by the state. As an example pot store owners in California are raided arrested and charged by federal agents on occasion.

This isn't nearly as confrontational an opinion as I'd expect from a Texan lol

Summit

Critical Crazy
In some areas, local ordinances specify that the local PD is to make cannabis enforcement the "lowest priority."

Veneficus

Forum Chief
The other key part about scedule 1 is that there has to be no acceptable medical use. Hence why marijuana is schedule 1 and cocaine is scedule 2. Will it ever change? I guess it's possible to get it down to 2 or 3 assuming an acceptable use is found. However since it's so hard to do research on it due to it's scheduling, it's rather unlikely. It's schedule 1 because there's no use, and there's no research on use because it's schedule 1.

The interesting thing about that and THC is that THC does have a use in palliative care.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The interesting thing about that and THC is that THC does have a use in palliative care.

It's use isn't "accepted" enough to change the rating of THC. I state this as a fact, not as a personal judgement one way or the other.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
It's use isn't "accepted" enough to change the rating of THC. I state this as a fact, not as a personal judgement one way or the other.

I know, I was stating a fact also.

Most of the people who claim medicinal uses for THC do not understand the legit uses are for terminal patients where curative medicine is withdrawn and comfort care initiated.

OP
OP
Achilles

Achilles

Forum Moron
I know, I was stating a fact also.

Most of the people who claim medicinal uses for THC do not understand the legit uses are for terminal patients where curative medicine is withdrawn and comfort care initiated.

Isn't it more of a side effect of the drug? Eg. Helping with loss of appetite in cancer Pt's. it's not curing cancer but it's supposedly helping cancer Pt's. Also it seems as it would be more difficult to show that marijuanna or the active ingredient delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol; put you at greater risk for other illnesses due to its legality.

Veneficus

Forum Chief
Isn't it more of a side effect of the drug? Eg. Helping with loss of appetite in cancer Pt's. it's not curing cancer but it's supposedly helping cancer Pt's. Also it seems as it would be more difficult to show that marijuanna or the active ingredient delta-9-tetrahydrocannabinol; put you at greater risk for other illnesses due to its legality.

Your body has endocanniboid in the CNS, the total effects are not yet elucidated, but aside from apetite control, it has several observed effects on the CNS which are beneficial to terminal patients.

Palliative care is not really my thing, but 6 months of adult and peds palliative care was a mandatory class and rotation for me.

Jambi

Forum Deputy Chief
To play devil's advocate here...

Aren't all drugs simply chemicals used for their positive effects/side-effects where whose use is balanced with its toxic effects?

Veneficus

Forum Chief
To play devil's advocate here...

Aren't all drugs simply chemicals used for their positive effects/side-effects where whose use is balanced with its toxic effects?

That is the general idea and near the quote of the father of pharmacology.

patput

Forum Crew Member
I personally see no issue with the legalization of marijuana. I've the lost friends from high school and college to drinking - a DUI accident, stupid decisions (fell into a gorge), and alcohol poisoning. I can't say the same is true about marijuana, at most I've got friends that got fat from too much time with the munchies.

triemal04

Forum Deputy Chief
Actually Marinol has been used for quite awhile in non-terminal cancer patients undergoing chemo. It's not just for comfort care in terminal patients.

One of the original arguements against medical marijuana was that a synthetic THC was allready available, and in use by the population thar was initially pointed to as the likely users.

ThirdCareerMedic

Forum Crew Member
Marijuana vs alcohol....

Where I live, I prefer to deal with pot smokers as patients rather than someone intoxicated with alcohol. I haven't been assaulted by someone high on grass yet but I have come close on a number of times with drunks.... Hard to figure why one is legal and the other is not.... LOL. (Just to be clear, I don't like dealing with anyone under the influence....)

CFal

Forum Captain

Non-fed LEOs can't enforce federal law, Obama told us that about Arizona's immigration law.