Las Vegas - somewhat employment related...

0theories

Forum Probie
Hi all, I was recently hired by a private ambulance service in Las Vegas with a start date in Dec. I'll be moving down mid November in order to get to know the city a little bit and jump through all the hoops necessary to get my NV license (paramedic). I was wondering if anyone can give me some advice on the following topics:

1. Tell me a little about the protocol test. We don't have anything like it here. Is it multiple choice? Mostly questions about procedures or locations or drug dosages, etc. (of course, nothing that would resemble cheating...)

2. This is probably most pertinent: where should I live? I don't really know anything about the city so I would love some tips on the different neighborhoods/areas: which to consider and which to avoid.

3. Is there anything else unique to the area that I should know that I don't even know I should ask about?

Thank you in advance for the help. This forum is a great help and I look forward to contributing more...

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What's up?

Welcome.

What agency will you be working for. There are 3 possibilities for 911 operations with 3 different headquarters. That will help me guide you on where to get a place.

The protocol test is a pain in the butt, but passable first round if you know them. They can be found under the SNHD EMS & Trauma website. Just google that and protocols.

It is a multiple choice test. Know the drugs and dosages, in particular with pediatrics and when you need orders, know hospital capabilities, destination criteria, and specifics on trauma catchment areas. Those are the biggies. It's been several years since I took it, but those are the main issues people have. Just read through them a lot and you should be good.

OP
OP

0theories

Forum Probie
Thanks for the reply! I have been thoroughly studying the protocols, but expect to get a better feel for hospital location and capabilities once I get down there and start looking around. I like the way the protocols are laid out in flow charts. Very different than here, especially with the scant info in the "formulary". But I'm taking lots of notes in the margins. This will also be my first full ALS job and full Medic job so there's that to add to the nerves :)

I should be moving down mid-Nov with an early Dec start date, so that'll give me some time to familiarize myself with the geography. I'll be working for MedicWest in N Vegas around Cheyenne and I-15, but everything I read suggests N Vegas and NE Vegas are to be avoided. Henderson is pretty far and Summerlin is pretty expensive, so I'm not sure where that leaves me. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated :) Thanks a lot for taking the time to respond!

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Ok
Welcome to the team. (Gotta say, you're lucky to have gotten MedicWest, the best in LV to work for). Not hating on the others- just sayin'.

New to the area and new to ALS 911 operations is going to land you most likely working as an Advanced EMT on a 911 truck for a little while... Unless you're a super stud.
Many from out of state have too hard of a time tackling all at once the learning the lay of the land, the way we run operations and admin stuff, and adapting to the fast pace and call volume, and report writing. 90% end up working as an Advanced for 3-6 months, so that they can focus on everything except the Paramedic level stuff.

However, you will get a 10 day 3rd rider Medic internship, and if you are dialed in 100% you can go strait to your own truck as the medic.

You're going to want to look for a place near the centennial hills area, summerlin, or aliante.
Mountains edge area is nice as well, but it's a bit of a commute, but we have some folks who live out that way. Henderson is okay, but also a commute and the pockets of good and bad run close. Ultimately it's up to you. When I first moved here I lived at Fort Apache and Sahara. There are several apartments and homes in that area for rent at decent prices in a good area.

Stay out of the East or Central areas, and the southern 3/4 of North Las Vegas.

OP
OP

0theories

Forum Probie
Thanks for the location tips. Tell me more about this A-EMT thing... I specifically asked about it during my interview (after reading about it here in other threads) and the supervisor, rather curtly, told me they don't do that. They only hire paramedics as paramedics. So if that's no the case: Will I have to give up my paramedic license or retest for paramedic at a later time? Will I have to redo NR? Will I have to test for NR AEMT? How much worse is the pay (I'm already talking a pretty big cut to move down there...) Please tell me all you know about this process as the subject was avoided when I asked during the interview. This might actually work better for me and reduce the level of stress. I don't necessarily disagree with the methodology, just want to have all the information. Thank you.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
No... You're still a medic. There's no additional testing. You just work in the capacity of an Advanced... Meaning, you don't do any ALS calls or medic things. You'll only tech and treat at the BLS and ILS levels. That's until you're good to go with all the admin, geography, charting, protocols, operations procedures, policies, etc...

The pay, I have no idea. I've never asked honestly. I'd venture to guess that when you accept your offer, at a given rate, it stays the same. Again, that's a guess.

Typically it lasts like 1-6 months depending on how lost you are. The quicker you are to pick things up and demonstrate that you know what's up, you'll be placed into the role of a paramedic. But you're never not a medic- certificate wise. It's just a company thing, where you aren't signed off to go outside the scope of an intermediate/advanced EMT.

It also depends on staffing needs at any given time. The fire depts are about to take a lot of our medics as their academies begin in the next few months. If there is a dire need for medics at MW, well... You know how supply and demand works. You may more likely get released to the streets as a full fledged medic after your 10 rides. Again, it's all about whether your preceptors think you can handle it. If you're bumbling all over the damn place, still green as can be on shift 6 or 7 or 8 or whatever- no one is going to put you on a truck alone as a medic.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Mods, can we move this thread to employment?

OP
OP

0theories

Forum Probie
Thank you Sandpit. You have significantly reduced my anxiety level concerning this entire process :)

Next I want to pick your brain about remote/international work. But we can do that later and maybe in person, and perhaps over a beer.

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
What's MW paying for medics these days? I'm at $21.50 an hour here in Tejas.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

How many hours a week is your base schedule?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser

Well... Technically with daily OT I'm at that.
What's you're schedule?

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Your*

RocketMedic

Californian, Lost in Texas
48 hours a week, 24/72 scheduling.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Like I said, the opportunity came and I jumped. Did I mention the employee free and 95% family health care, the 7% match and the copious OT?

Meh, TCDRS with a 250% match is still better but that sounds like you've got a solid gig. Good for you man.

My base is right around the same, little less but not much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk