Las Vegas Fire ready in case of AMR strike

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
Interesting. I hadn’t heard about this. Just out of the loop I guess.

OP
OP
Amberlamps916
Interesting. I hadn’t heard about this. Just out of the loop I guess.

Hopefully somebody on here can fill us in on what's going on. This will be interesting to watch unfold.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
Ah. Thanks. So fire could handle most transports if AMR walks.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
Well, considering 97% of LVFDs calls are medical in nature, and LVFD has many ambulances (which often respond alongside AMR), my suspicion is they will just approve OT for all their ambulances, and detail people from suppression to ambulances if needed.

So it's kind of like a non-issues.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
So I did get some scoop on this. The history behind this is not a new occurrence: AMR Vegas has been having on-going issues with their staff trying to go union and fighting for better working conditions for the past several years. There has been a lot of resistance (as one would imagine) from corporate. Adding to the pressure on AMR over the past few years, local FDs have started transporting more and more of their own patients and other private competitors have swooped in to take pieces of the 911 area and transport contracts. All the while AMR/MW Vegas has demanded more and more from their field crews with little to no benefit to them. Minimal raises if any, and the standard BS- here's a bbq and oh look, a station dog to make you feel nice... Nothing of substance to either a.) improve moral or b.) increase retention of field crews and even some lower levels of management. As such, people have gone to work for competitors, making them an even larger threat to AMR and causing AMR to lose assets.

The latest push for improved conditions for last 6 months or so have seen dramatic changes in local leadership. The GM was terminated and replaced (along with a lot of his trash policies) and AMR/MW Ops mangers have come and gone. The only manager worth a damn, a field guy who made his way up over the years at MedicWest, was switched between AMR<->MW several times once AMR really took control of MW. Recently he lost his position also and now works for one of those competitors. Currently, both operations (AMR/MW) are without Ops managers as of this writing.

AMR Vegas, much like AMR in most other divisions, is being run into the ground by bad leadership and poor policies from the corporate level on down. They refuse to pay what they need to, and this is the same song of most every other for profit private ambulance company. Overall, there is a corporate failure to acknowledge that the best assets a company has are its employees. Nothing new to see here.

The local fire departments are very well equipped to handle the 911 system should AMR corporate continue to shoot themselves in the foot. MedicWest and Community Ambulance (which is not owned by AMR) appear to running normal operations.

Last edited:

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
Funny how different parts of the country work.
When I worked in Indianapolis we had 9 private EMS services in Central Indiana.
Here in Northern Utah/Salt Lake City (approx. the same population) there is 1 private service.