Lapel Microphones

Brittany Pollard

Forum Ride Along
The service that I work at has issued lapel mics and stated that they are required to be attached to our WT's at all times. I hate them. I feel like it is a work hazard and is just uncomfortable hanging on your uniform. Can anyone help me find any material that supports this??

Thanks!!!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Considering a lot of law enforcement officers and agents use lapel mics I doubt you are going to find anything helpful. When we do special events we will be given the lapel mics and I have zero issues with them.

OP
OP
B

Brittany Pollard

Forum Ride Along
Considering a lot of law enforcement officers and agents use lapel mics I doubt you are going to find anything helpful. When we do special events we will be given the lapel mics and I have zero issues with them.
Yea I couldn't find anything really online. They just get caught on everything and are uncomfortable hanging off my shirt. I'm probably fighting a loosing battle lol, but thanks!

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Whenever I have used them I tuck them in my shirt so that nothing is showing. That prevents it from catching on anything.

GMCmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
Its squirrelly but I just use my leather radio harness from the fire side. Keeps the radio off my belt and has literally never caught on anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
We have the same policy and some folks I work with fight it like an order to wear two left shoes. I personally dont get it. I dont find them to be a problem, and I average about 40hrs a week actually wearing a radio.

I prefer some method of securing the radio itself to me beyond the belt clip. Ive dropped my radio off my belt perhaps 3.7 million times, but Ive never lost it out of a holster. I personally dont care for the radio straps, but they are accepted at my company and some people go that route. If you do, get the anti sway strap. It's important enough that it should be standard, not an option.

Having a shoulder mic shouldn't be a big deal. Find a compliant way to adjust and move on with your day.

StCEMT

Forum Deputy Chief
I just use the radio strap because otherwise I forget the damn thing and I hate hoping that supply may have a spare clip I can use and stuffing it in a pocket when they dont. And if I don't want my radio on, I just toss it all to the side. Easy on, easy off.

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
When I work in the field as a Leo, they are perfectly fine for me. Take the plastic collar holders for dress shirts and clip it under

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
I use a radio strap. It's easy and when I'm not on a call, I hang the whole thing up. No stress.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Put it behind your back, over your shoulder, and clip it to the top of your shirt. Should keep it out of the way.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Radio strap here. But no, you're not going to find what you're lookign for.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I love my radio strap. I own several (well, several cases for different radios over the years), and swap out the strap to go with the appropriate holster.

when I don't have an extended mic, I use a swivel radio holder.

If I'm using the belt clip and a mic, I put the radio on my hip and take the across the back of my body, over my opposite shoulder, and clip it to my uniform shirt. But that's a last resort thing if I don't have my radio strap with me.

Chimpie

Site Administrator
Community Leader
If I'm using the belt clip and a mic, I put the radio on my hip and take the across the back of my body, over my opposite shoulder, and clip it to my uniform shirt.
Same as above. 20+ years wearing it that way. Never a problem.

One of the battalion chiefs said he was going to buy be a radio strap. We'll see if it happens.