Lancaster County PA

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Curious if anyone here has any experience with EMS in Lancaster County.

I’d like to hear your thoughts.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Not EMS related, FWIW, but it certainly seems like a nice area.
Good dining, activities, etc. in the city of Lancaster and surrounding area!

Kevinf

Forum Captain
No direct experience, just grapevine stuff. Lancaster county is big, almost 1000 sq miles. Are you interested in LEMSA or the rural EMS companies?

The rural areas are pleasant enough to navigate, getting around the city near LGH can be nightmarish as there is always major road construction. If you want to work in the city, be prepared to live there or give up your life commuting. We have a LEMSA medic student getting ride time in with my 911 company, and he doesn't have a great many good things to say regarding their medic program.

The most highly regarded EMS company in the area is probably Life Lion which is based out of Penn State Hershey Medical Center. It's at the edges of Dauphin and Lancaster counties. It's a level 1 trauma center with flight, critical care, and pediatric specialties for EMS. If you're looking to move into the area I'd give them a hard look first.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
No direct experience, just grapevine stuff. Lancaster county is big, almost 1000 sq miles. Are you interested in LEMSA or the rural EMS companies?

The rural areas are pleasant enough to navigate, getting around the city near LGH can be nightmarish as there is always major road construction. If you want to work in the city, be prepared to live there or give up your life commuting. We have a LEMSA medic student getting ride time in with my 911 company, and he doesn't have a great many good things to say regarding their medic program.

The most highly regarded EMS company in the area is probably Life Lion which is based out of Penn State Hershey Medical Center. It's at the edges of Dauphin and Lancaster counties. It's a level 1 trauma center with flight, critical care, and pediatric specialties for EMS. If you're looking to move into the area I'd give them a hard look first.

This is pretty solid info here. We used to bump into and take patient's from LEMSA on a fairly regular basis doing scene work up there. Our base was in York and depending on who was in quarters it would either be us, LifeLion, or dual ship between the two programs. I know a guy who works at LifeLion currently and is very happy with the organization, although he's flight. I know their ground division is equally as well taken care of though. I only worked at that base every so often, but often said if I could ever get my wife to move to PA then Hershey would be a great place to work for.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
If I could convince Cyn to move back to that area of the country, the area you're asking about is high on my list of places to go. I did some research on services in the area a while back (3-4 years) and Lancaster and Susquehanna Valley were both pretty well regarded.