Just took a BLS instructor Course confused

okiemedic

BLS Healthcare Provider Instructor
So,

Today I took my classroom part of my bls instructor course. I need some input if anybody else has taken the course.

The entire class was about five hours long, We didn't touch any manikins or actually talk about how to properly give CPR on infants or adults. The whole day was talking about how to teach the course. What confuses me most is. Its almost a polar opposite of what I have been taught in the past. I got re certified through the online course with the manikin on the computer last year.

I just thought it was weird they wouldn't go through scenarios with the dolls that they brought. (they stayed on the cart in packaging the whole time). The entire class was real vague.(done on video) We had three tests at the end. BLS provider, BLS instructor and Heartsaver. I missed questions on the instructor portion she didn't even go over in the class.

Maybe I got a burnt out instructor. She did say at the beginning the less questions we have the faster she'll get to leave....

Next week I teach with her to pass the class....I am googling and searching the web for stuff she never went over...

:eek:

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
It's an instructor class. It's not really supposed to cover how to do CPR. It's supposed to go over how to teach and get information across to students.

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
It's an instructor class. It's not really supposed to cover how to do CPR. It's supposed to go over how to teach and get information across to students.
This. If you're going through the instructor portion, it's often assumed (many times wrongly so) that you know the material. Many of the card classes are set up that way.

OP
OP
O

okiemedic

This. If you're going through the instructor portion, it's often assumed (many times wrongly so) that you know the material. Many of the card classes are set up that way.

Yeah, I'm pretty confident in adult cpr (infant not so). Our hospital teaches all staff using ambubags even with one rescuer cpr. Which is totally wrong and against AHA guidelines. The way i've been taught has been wrong. Its funny the same hospital who's been teaching me for the last couple years. Today said its been wrong and teach it this way. lol I was like WTH?

I've been saying its wrong and nurses just tell me to do it anyway. The chances of you doing one rescuer in a hospital setting is pretty slim though. But, still they need to teach it correctly......

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Welcome to the wonderful world of being an instructor. You have to teach something one way but in the field something differently is done.

johnrsemt

Forum Deputy Chief
The Instructor courses are set up to teach you to teach, not just teach CPR, but to teach about anything. There are too many people who are instructors, who know CPR, but can't teach people. So they are going to the other extreme.

Nice thing is now that you have the basic instructor course, you can now learn to be an ACLS or PALS instructor without too much more classroom stuff

Nightmare

The FNG
That is exactly how my class went, seemed a little confusing at first but as I get ready for my first class I realized that it is about what works best for you. I have found that I teach to the test, get them to pass that and then show them how to actually do CPR and give the practical. My thoughts on this is nobody is going to be giving you a multiple choice quiz on the big one, they are going to want to know that you are able to perform efficient CPR, so give them what they need to pass and then show them what they need to provide the best care possible.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
With all that said I believe the instructor course is supposed to count as your provider renewal, hence the mannequins.

OP
OP
O

okiemedic

I taught my first class today with my teacher. It went better then I thought. We had a bunch of nurses and a doctor. I was surprised at how many didn't give proper compression

Got my instructor card!

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
I taught my first class today with my teacher. It went better then I thought. We had a bunch of nurses and a doctor. I was surprised at how many didn't give proper compression

Got my instructor card!
Congratulations. I'm going to say this, it's not directed at you specifically but all new instructors in general.

You must realize that being a competent instructor is not accomplished solely by being a competent provider and you have an obligation to pass along correct, pertinent info, not war stories or "how it's really done".