Just started EMT-I Class, Going ALS!

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
North Carolina beware, soon I'll be running ALS on the streets. IVs for everyone!

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I/99 or I/85? Either way congrats! Good luck in the class, it was definitely more interesting than Basic was, for me at least.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
::rolls up sleeve::

STICK ME, BABY!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show

sweetpete

Forum Lieutenant
Congrats!!! Best move I've made so far in my career!! And now I'm wrapping up paramedic. But I love being an Intermediate. Enjoy it!!

OP
OP
J

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
I/99 or I/85? Either way congrats! Good luck in the class, it was definitely more interesting than Basic was, for me at least.

Somewhere in-between. We use a 99 text but can only test NREMT to 85. NC protocols put us a little above standard 85s, but since I operate in a paramedic system, I can operate almost to the level of a paramedic when i'm with a paramedic, and i'm an intermediate attending alone, if that makes any sense.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
Somewhere in-between. We use a 99 text but can only test NREMT to 85. NC protocols put us a little above standard 85s, but since I operate in a paramedic system, I can operate almost to the level of a paramedic when i'm with a paramedic, and i'm an intermediate attending alone, if that makes any sense.

ETIs or king/combi?

Chief Complaint

Forum Captain
Sounds wacky, but our system is weird here too so who am i to talk. So if you are AIC what meds can you give? And it looks like King/Combi/ETI thing got worked out.

Im assuming the greatest amount of difference between the 2 comes when its time to give meds? No narco's or maybe even benzo's?

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
Another state with a screwed up Intermediate protocol. Welcome to the club.

OP
OP
J

jjesusfreak01

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds wacky, but our system is weird here too so who am i to talk. So if you are AIC what meds can you give? And it looks like King/Combi/ETI thing got worked out.

Im assuming the greatest amount of difference between the 2 comes when its time to give meds? No narco's or maybe even benzo's?

What I was getting at is that because I work in a paramedic system I can pretty much push anything (though its unlikely the medic will want me pushing morphine or cardizem for them) in the presence of the paramedic. I just can't attend on calls when the patient has paramedic level drugs onboard.

Here's the Intermediate drug list:
  • Toradol
  • Beta-Agonists
  • ASA
  • Crystalloids
  • Epinephrine (any form)
  • Glucose Solutions
  • Glucagon
  • Histamine 2 Blockers
  • Atrovent
  • Narcan
  • Nitro
  • Vasopressin

Frozennoodle

Sir Drinks-a-lot
Our 85 skill level includes:

All the basic skills (incl combitube and king)
IV therapy
Fluids
D10