Just passed the NREMT... what else do I need? (CA)

heatherknight1225

Forum Ride Along
Hey all!

I just recently passed the NREMT. To my understanding, my next step is to submit all required documents to my local county EMS in order to get my license to begin working. While I await my certification in the mail (which is taking foreeeeeverrr), I have been looking ahead at what else I may need to start applying once I get my license, with two things being my :
-Ambulance Driver's License
(from DMV)
-Medical Examiner's Card or DL51 (from DMV)

My questions are:

Medical Examiner's card
-Does this have to be a pre-approved medical examiner or could I go to my personal physician?
-Does the physician fill out both the medical examiners certificate (MCSA-5876 form) and the medical examiner's report (DL 51 form)
-What does the physical consist of?

Ambulance Driver's License
-Do I need to have the medical examiner's card prior to applying for this?

Thank you in advance for the help! I wish our last day of class would have gone over this process as my knowledge is based off of extensive googling lol.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
MEC (DL51):
Most primary physicians can do it. Call and ask if they'll do a DMV physical. If they don't know what you're talking about, call around to some occupational health clinics, they will do it.

The exam varies depending where you go. To be honest I'm not sure what it's supposed to consist of because I've never had 2 examinations that were the same.

ADC:
This is like talking an endorsement test at the DMV. There is a little blue book you can buy for $5ish at the DMV to study. Some DMVs won't know what you're talking about when you say you need an ambulance test. When I went and asked for an ambulance test, they actually called an ambulance...

Where will you be working? Some areas have specific local requirements.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
MEC (DL51):
Most primary physicians can do it. Call and ask if they'll do a DMV physical. If they don't know what you're talking about, call around to some occupational health clinics, they will do it.

This is no longer the case. The doctor must have a special certificate from the DMV along with a certificate number in order to preform the DMV physical. Most places that offer the physical from an approved doctor are charging anywhere from $100-$300.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
This is no longer the case. The doctor must have a special certificate from the DMV along with a certificate number in order to preform the DMV physical. Most places that offer the physical from an approved doctor are charging anywhere from $100-$300.
My word...

chrls

Forum Crew Member

Hope that comes with a bunch of extra stuff for that price. I haven’t paid more than 50-60 bucks for one.

And they’re free where we work.

OP
OP
H

heatherknight1225

Forum Ride Along
Ouch..... my wallet is crying as we speak...

OP
OP
H

heatherknight1225

Forum Ride Along
MEC (DL51):

The exam varies depending where you go. To be honest I'm not sure what it's supposed to consist of because I've never had 2 examinations that were the same.

ADC:
This is like talking an endorsement test at the DMV. There is a little blue book you can buy for $5ish at the DMV to study. Some DMVs won't know what you're talking about when you say you need an ambulance test. When I went and asked for an ambulance test, they actually called an ambulance...

Where will you be working? Some areas have specific local requirements.
Thanks for the thorough reply! I’ll be working out of Riverside County. Can’t believe your experience at the DMV....