Just got my EMT Basic I want to prepare for AEMT. How can I prepare?

Integra96

Forum Ride Along
I just received my test results yesterday saying I passed the NREMT written. I am going to register for the AEMT class at my local community college this week for the fall semester. I want to know what should I study to prepare myself in the mean time.
Thank you.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
The best way to prepare for a higher certification is through experience.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
Experience, college level science class, get the book before hand and read it or a mix of the above.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
...or just get your paramedic.

This. AEMT is pretty much as waste. You get some paramedic skills and not nearly enough education to really know what to do with them.

If you want to be a paramedic assistant, become an AEMT. Otherwise, just go to medic school.

OP
OP
I

Integra96

Forum Ride Along
In the state I live in (Nevada) they recently changed the standard to where its required to have your AEMT before paramedic school. I'll definitely get the book before class starts. Thank you.

CLCustom1911

Forum Crew Member
I'm a red headed stepchild of EMS... the AEMT.... be sure you learn about capnography, metabolic versus respiratory alkalosis/acidosis, more on cardiology/ACS, learn about D50, glucagon, epinephrine, oral glucose, nitro, nitrous oxide administration, CPAP, albuterol nebulizer treatments, learn ALOTTA airway stuff and focus on the King LT as the supraglottic of choice for the Psychomotor Exam.

Nevada makes great use of the AEMT level provider.

As a whole, it's slightly more in depth that EMT as far as physiology goes, but not toooo crazy.

What course are you going through? I did a hybrid course through JTM Training Group. I was also a Navy Corpsman for 5 years assigned to Marines units playing around in the assorted deserts of the world from 2003-2008... and certified in TCCC, PHTLS and ACLS, so I had a bit of a head start with advanced medical mumbo jumbo.

Soak it up like a dry sponge.

Cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VentMonkey

Family Guy
be sure you learn about metabolic versus respiratory alkalosis/acidosis
Hmmm, interesting. I don't recall going over any of these disturbances too much in paramedic school. I'm curious why, and/ or how they'd apply to the AEMT.

CLCustom1911

Forum Crew Member
Hmmm, interesting. I don't recall going over any of these disturbances too much in paramedic school. I'm curious why, and/ or how they'd apply to the AEMT.

It could have been the book we were using which was Jones and Bartlett, "Advanced Emergency Care of the Sick and Injured". The course I went through had test questions asking things to the effect of "if a child unintentionally overdosed on antacids, would that cause respiratory or metabolic alkalosis?" What's the normal pH range of the body, past what pH range does cell damage/death begin to occur. Stuff like that. Nothing crazy detailed.

Again, it wasn't asking to calculate dosage of sodium bicarbonate to effect acidosis in a ACLS scenario, etc.

Cameron

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk