Just Another Day

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Do ya ever have that feeling when you start your day, that it isn't going to be a good day. Well I have had that feeling and it was so correct. Well I run for a small local rescue squad and we don't get a lot of calls. Well my pager goes of about 1 in the afternoon so I just jump in my vehicle and drive down to the rescue squad which is 2 min from my house. I jump in the back of the ambulance cause we had two other emts sitting up front. Well we arrive on scene (mind you it was raining ) I go to open the doors of the ambulance and I slip and fall out of the back of the ambulance at the patients house. well if that isn't bad enough I was wearing a skirt. Thankfully it was one that comes down to my ankles. so i had the two emts sitting up front rush to the back saying "are you ok?" "are you sure your ok". I spring up from the ground and say "im good, lets go."
Well we load the pt. and drive to the hospitial. Well we arrive at the ER entrance and I go to get out of the ambulance again, and I trip (again) luckily one of the emts caught me before I smashed to the pavement. So for the remainder of the day I had the two emts with me joking around saying "dont trip"

It was such a lovely day...<_<

Sasha

Forum Chief
You were wearing a skirt...why?

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Well we dont have a dress code so we wear whatever. (they are changing that now) anyways I was dating this guy who thought it was a sin for a woman to wear pants so I wore skirts. ( Had to be a long skirt though). Lets just say I don't do that anymore.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well we dont have a dress code so we wear whatever. (they are changing that now) anyways I was dating this guy who thought it was a sin for a woman to wear pants so I wore skirts. ( Had to be a long skirt though). Lets just say I don't do that anymore.

If you're going to respond to calls, you should wear something appropriate for a call. a skirt, no matter how long, just is not appropriate.

VentMedic

Forum Chief
Well we dont have a dress code so we wear whatever. (they are changing that now) anyways I was dating this guy who thought it was a sin for a woman to wear pants so I wore skirts. ( Had to be a long skirt though).

Were you more concerned about your love life or your safety and patient care? If you know you are on call, you should wear something appropriate or have something easy to change into.

We laugh when we hear about volunteers showing up at accident scenes in flip flops or other inappropriate clothing. I sometimes wonder if they missed the whole scene safety and personal protection section in class.

Lets just say I don't do that anymore.

Glad to hear that. Keep your priorities straight.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Well I sorta went though this phase where I thought that wearing pants was wrong for a woman. (mostly I think it was because he made me feel bad for wearing pants. He had been in ems longer than me and he said other women wear skirts.) Lets just say I don't believe him. I mean I wore my EMT shirt and boots just I wore a skirt too. You can work in a skirt your not really limited but anyways lets just say im back to wearing my pants.

Sasha

Forum Chief
Well I sorta went though this phase where I thought that wearing pants was wrong for a woman. (mostly I think it was because he made me feel bad for wearing pants. He had been in ems longer than me and he said other women wear skirts.) Lets just say I don't believe him. I mean I wore my EMT shirt and boots just I wore a skirt too. You can work in a skirt your not really limited but anyways lets just say im back to wearing my pants.

Ok.. but if you think wearing a skirt is bad and can't wear clothes approrpriate for a call, then you should just stay home. Your patients don't need an injured EMT to distract away from their emergency. And quite honestly.. you fell twice.. that should tell you a skirt is not appropriate work wear.

Hey, if you want to wear skirts all day every day, that is your perogative but you have to deal with the consequences which may include not being able to do everything you want to do.

Last edited by a moderator:

VentMedic

Forum Chief
You can work in a skirt your not really limited but anyways lets just say im back to wearing my pants.

No. There is a big safety issue. You can easily get entangled in equipment. If the skirt is long, it will be dragging through whatever is at the scene including blood and chemicals. If it is short, you risk exposing your skin to blood, chemicals and sharp edges at an MVC or any scene. While you are looking out more for your skirt, you may jeopardize the safety of your partner and/or patient.

You must decide between your personal beliefs and safety. If you want to wear skirts, you might consider another profession.

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
True never thought of it like that. Which then again I haven't been into EMS very long. I haven't had really any bad trauma calls. Actually I have had one trauma call the rest medical.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Do ya ever have that feeling when you start your day, that it isn't going to be a good day. Well I have had that feeling and it was so correct. Well I run for a small local rescue squad and we don't get a lot of calls. Well my pager goes of about 1 in the afternoon so I just jump in my vehicle and drive down to the rescue squad which is 2 min from my house. I jump in the back of the ambulance cause we had two other emts sitting up front. Well we arrive on scene (mind you it was raining ) I go to open the doors of the ambulance and I slip and fall out of the back of the ambulance at the patients house. well if that isn't bad enough I was wearing a skirt. Thankfully it was one that comes down to my ankles. so i had the two emts sitting up front rush to the back saying "are you ok?" "are you sure your ok". I spring up from the ground and say "im good, lets go."
Well we load the pt. and drive to the hospitial. Well we arrive at the ER entrance and I go to get out of the ambulance again, and I trip (again) luckily one of the emts caught me before I smashed to the pavement. So for the remainder of the day I had the two emts with me joking around saying "dont trip"

It was such a lovely day...<_<

Sorry, not to be rude but, you have absolutely no business being dressed in an unsafe manner on a call. It saddles the department with (as you found out) increased risk of injury. Live n learn eh?

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Sorry, not to be rude but, you have absolutely no business being dressed in an unsafe manner on a call. It saddles the department with (as you found out) increased risk of injury. Live n learn eh?

OOPS..you already got the hint :)

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Ya Im still young so I figure I have a lot of learning to do. At least I haven't ran any calls in flip flops. But hey we all make mistakes right? You just learn from them and move on.

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Ya Im still young so I figure I have a lot of learning to do. At least I haven't ran any calls in flip flops. But hey we all make mistakes right? You just learn from them and move on.

Tell the EMT who tried to tell you, women should wear skirts that you will if he will...LOL ;) Its the most ridiculous (if not discriminatory) thing I've heard so far this year!

OP
OP
Miss EMT

Miss EMT

Forum Crew Member
Well I don't talk to him anymore. Ever since he got a job at an ambulance service he thinks he is better than everybody else. Honestly I don't think he cares about his patient, he is more worried about how he looks because he says things like " well I just saved this persons life" and all that. We all help people and people help us. There is no special recongination needed. He believed a lot of weird things though. Like women had to wear skirts, head coverings, and never cut their hair plus they were supposed to be house wives and all that.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Tell the EMT who tried to tell you, women should wear skirts that you will if he will...LOL ;) Its the most ridiculous (if not discriminatory) thing I've heard so far this year!

Come on rescue, you don't subscribe to the "women on EMS calls should be seen and not heard"? :rolleyes: When I joined SAR, I was asked if I would have a problem taking orders from a woman (as we have many great, compatent women on our team), and I was taken aback... what a stupid question that had never occured to me to be an issue. I don't care who you are as long as you are compatent and know what you are talking about... but, my dear OP, the "experienced EMSer" that gave you that load of crap sounds like a moron that NO ONE should listen to and should not be in EMS... glad you are not with him or listening to him anymore... chose your "friends" and mentors a little better... like some (not all) of the women here on the forums who have been around and know a thing or two...

However, corsets in EMS are a must... IMHO... LOL :rolleyes:

I did, however, have a gal that showed up for a River Rescue SAR Mission in a Denim Skirt... LOL... She was "real" useful... in manning a telephone... LOL... Ya, voluntarily left the team soon after... THANK GOD...

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I gave up wearing skirts years ago....now I only do it on the occasional Friday night...

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
Come on rescue, you don't subscribe to the "women on EMS calls should be seen and not heard"? :rolleyes: When I joined SAR, I was asked if I would have a problem taking orders from a woman (as we have many great, compatent women on our team), and I was taken aback... what a stupid question that had never occured to me to be an issue. I don't care who you are as long as you are compatent and know what you are talking about... but, my dear OP, the "experienced EMSer" that gave you that load of crap sounds like a moron that NO ONE should listen to and should not be in EMS... glad you are not with him or listening to him anymore... chose your "friends" and mentors a little better... like some (not all) of the women here on the forums who have been around and know a thing or two...

However, corsets in EMS are a must... IMHO... LOL :rolleyes:

I did, however, have a gal that showed up for a River Rescue SAR Mission in a Denim Skirt... LOL... She was "real" useful... in manning a telephone... LOL... Ya, voluntarily left the team soon after... THANK GOD...

Well, I am not exactly a liberation freak. I do believe there are some things best left to one gender or the other for reasons known only to our maker!
I'm also all for a man wearing a skirt if he so desires, in the right setting. I hear patent leather shoes really do reflect up! ;)

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
I'm also all for a man wearing a skirt if he so desires, in the right setting. I hear patent leather shoes really do reflect up! ;)

I tried wearing the skirt for a while, but I kept hearing form people that I don't have the legs for the mini... and I dug the mini... :wacko: And when I was told that high heels and the haulter top were making my patients vomit, I didn't have a choice, so I switched to a pants suit and flats... :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
I gave up wearing skirts years ago....now I only do it on the occasional Friday night...

Oh but wont you wear the leather mini for our lunch date, when it finally happens? (You know.. six years from now with the rate this is going.)

rescue99

Forum Deputy Chief
I tried wearing the skirt for a while, but I kept hearing form people that I don't have the legs for the mini... and I dug the mini... :wacko: And when I was told tha high heels and the haulter top were making my patients vomit, I didn't have a choice, so I switched to a pants suit and flats... :p

I am half Irish and half American Indian. Many in our social groups wear clothing reflective of traditional male dress which often includes showing off knee caps. But, they still can't wear em on duty :p