Juicing?

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
So........ about a week ago I was browsing Netflix and came across a documentary called "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". I thought I would give it a looksie.

I found myself inspired so I bought a juicer. I was wasn't looking to lose weight per se. I am in great shape, but I thought the idea of being healthier looked interesting.

So, 4 days into semi-juicing I was down six pounds and my energy was through the roof.

I am not doing any type of juice fast. Instead I am adding the juicing to my diet.

Now then, after spending the money on the juicer, I found it to be a ton of work and waste. I ended up getting one of the NutriBullet. Much less waste.

Besides energy being off the charts...... I found I am only drinking one cup of coffee (not one pot) in the morning now. Crazy......

I guess that is why Hippocrates said "Let food be thy medicine". Remember him from the Hippocratic Oath :)

Anyone else seen the movie or tried juicing?

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
Very interesting. I'll definitely be giving it a look. :)

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
A coworker of mine was telling me about this a few weeks ago, I was going to watch the movie, but I never got around to it.

She also said she had been seeing a major energy boost, I figured I would give it a try, but again, I never got around to it lol. What's the difference between a juicer and the Nutribullet?

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
A coworker of mine was telling me about this a few weeks ago, I was going to watch the movie, but I never got around to it.

She also said she had been seeing a major energy boost, I figured I would give it a try, but again, I never got around to it lol. What's the difference between a juicer and the Nutribullet?

The juicer (we bought a Jack Lalane one) takes just the juice and separates the pulp into a waste bin. The NutirBullet grinds everything into more of a smoothie type so there is no waste.

I would imagine any really good food processor would work. These are what I have experience with and the results are nothing less than amazing.

Again, I'm not fasting like they did in the movie. I am doing more like they do in "Forks Over Knives" a movee I watched after a few days of juicing.

Last edited by a moderator:

JakeEMTP

Forum Captain
The Breville juicer is awesome. I had the Jack Lalane for about 6 years but gave it away with no regrets when I got the Breville. I got the Dual Disc model which makes for unlimited possibilities in one machine.

Joe

Forum Captain
Haha i expected this thread to be about roids. But i sure do love regular juice!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
The juicer (we bought a Jack Lalane one) takes just the juice and separates the pulp into a waste bin. The NutirBullet grinds everything into more of a smoothie type so there is no waste.

I would imagine any really good food processor would work. These are what I have experience with and the results are nothing less than amazing.

Again, I'm not fasting like they did in the movie. I am doing more like they do in "Forks Over Knives" a movee I watched after a few days of juicing.

Hmmm, I may give it a shot then, and grab a Nutribullet. At least I can get a little more produce in my diet, especially while on shift.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
Hmmm, I may give it a shot then, and grab a Nutribullet. At least I can get a little more produce in my diet, especially while on shift.

We found a "trick" so to speak. My wife didn't care to much for the green taste...so instead of adding the little bit of water, we use natural apple juice.

using the NutriBulett it goes like this:

50% of the holder is filled with spinach then I add, fresh cucumber, almonds, cherry tomato, grapes, a couple baby carrots, celery a couple of strawberries and some kiwi. Then put a little apple juice in it.

The taste is great! I didn't mind the green taste before, but now even my wife likes it :)

Watch the movies....... (Fat, sick and nearly dead and Forks Over Knives) then see what you think.

The reason I liked both movies is they were not trying to sell me their juicer or diet book. Instead you get to see transformations before your eyes.

What sold me was the people getting off of all the meds they were on. That was impressive!

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
We found a "trick" so to speak. My wife didn't care to much for the green taste...so instead of adding the little bit of water, we use natural apple juice.

using the NutriBulett it goes like this:

50% of the holder is filled with spinach then I add, fresh cucumber, almonds, cherry tomato, grapes, a couple baby carrots, celery a couple of strawberries and some kiwi. Then put a little apple juice in it.

The taste is great! I didn't mind the green taste before, but now even my wife likes it :)

Watch the movies....... (Fat, sick and nearly dead and Forks Over Knives) then see what you think.

The reason I liked both movies is they were not trying to sell me their juicer or diet book. Instead you get to see transformations before your eyes.

What sold me was the people getting off of all the meds they were on. That was impressive!

Well coolio, thanks for the tips, and for bringing this topic up!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
I added fruit and veggies into my diet using smoothies and it's working well. Along with the much more balanced diet I've also started hitting the gym, cut out most processed sugars, increased my protein intake, and cut out most dairy (I'm already a vegetarian). I've lost 52 pounds and gone from a waist size of 48 to 36.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
I added fruit and veggies into my diet using smoothies and it's working well. Along with the much more balanced diet I've also started hitting the gym, cut out most processed sugars, increased my protein intake, and cut out most dairy (I'm already a vegetarian). I've lost 52 pounds and gone from a waist size of 48 to 36.

That is fantastic! I work out every day as well...... but at 43 it is a little tougher to keep the extra weight off. Kudos for the weight loss! That's fantastic!

bigbaldguy

Former medic seven years 911 service in houston
That is fantastic! I work out every day as well...... but at 43 it is a little tougher to keep the extra weight off. Kudos for the weight loss! That's fantastic!

I'm 37 so I don't have to much of an advantage on you.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
It honestly can't hurt. You lose a lot of the fiber benefits from drinking your veggies but I recall reading a study that found that taking fiber supplements wasn't really enough to prevent colon cancer.

What I do recommend is using your juicer to take in more calories and slowly start weening off bread carbohydrates and bad fats. You'll start to feel much better and see a reduction in weight if you get your energy from lean meat, vegetables, good fats (olive oil, coconut, etc), and fruits (carbs sure, but not processed). A lot of people have success with a paleo or semi-paleo diet and research is starting to point to sugar playing a role in heart disease and possibly cancer.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
And don't be afraid to eat eggs! Just cook them healthily (olive oil is fine) and don't add cheese. Instead add spices/pepper/light salt. Eggs are nutrient rich (mostly all in the yolks), great source of protein and sustenance, and the cholesterol fear is exaggerated.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
And don't be afraid to eat eggs! Just cook them healthily (olive oil is fine) and don't add cheese. Instead add spices/pepper/light salt. Eggs are nutrient rich (mostly all in the yolks), great source of protein and sustenance, and the cholesterol fear is exaggerated.

My diet is pretty clean anyway. (Although I cheat on occasion) I am actually trying to go more of a whole food/plant based diet. The studies they showed (largest ever published by multiple MD's) had strong evidence of cancer cells "turned off" by whole food plant based diet.

I have put my juicer away and have used strictly the NutriBullett for now. I drink several a day, but still eat a meal or two during the day.

Without even trying........down 8 pounds...... have tons of energy....... even did my back/legs workout yesterday that consisted of 100 reps of 135lb squats and 100 pull ups... felt great.

Again....... I am not trying to sell anyone on any product for diet......I'm just saying I have had crazy results without even trying. All because I watched a couple of documentaries.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
That's awesome! I think a lot of people can benefit in terms of weightloss by supplementing calorically dense foods with a liquid meal once a day.

eprex

Forum Lieutenant
You can also add a scoop of unflavored pure whey (like NOW Foods) for added sustanence for those who still consume some dairy.

OP
OP
DT4EMS

DT4EMS

Kip Teitsort, Founder
That's awesome! I think a lot of people can benefit in terms of weightloss by supplementing calorically dense foods with a liquid meal once a day.

I wouldn't have believed it myself........ I am a believer now for sure. It is the energy more than anything for me I think.

I'm still new at it and learning a lot as I go. Heck pro UFC Fighter Mac Danzig eats whole food/plant based. When they had him on "Forks over knives" I jumped up and was like "Hey! That's Danzig!" I figured there must be something to it because those guys are machines!

Here is a link to his diet:
http://www.mikemahler.com/online-li...aining/ufc-fighter-mac-danzig-vegan-diet.html

Last edited by a moderator:

EMT2B

Forum Lieutenant
We watched "Fat, Sick, and Nearly Dead" in my A&P class last semester. It was a really interesting movie. Got me thinking about trying juicing, but, at the moment, I have no spare ca$h to buy a juicer (or anything else for that matter!). I do have a full size as well as a personal size blender, but I doubt either is powerful enough to really do very well with the juicing aspect.
One of the men in my class went on a 10-day juice fast prior to running a half-marathon, and he swears by juicing. He brought in a couple of the juices he drank so we could sample them. The "mean green" tasted really awful. But I'm not exactly the best judge of taste. I have the palate of a six year old. LoL :lol:
I have been trying to get more fruits and veggies into my diet. I do pretty good with getting the fruits in, as fruit is sweet and appeals to my taste buds. The veggies are a whole different matter. :blush:

Where would I find a "NutriBullet" and approx how much are they?