job hunt in the bay area

jodyjones

Forum Ride Along

i'm a new EMT-B, going to start looking for jobs in sf bay area. Any good ideas on how i should approach my application process, and what companies are likely to hire me? your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

MusicMedic

Forum Captain

i'm a new EMT-B, going to start looking for jobs in sf bay area. Any good ideas on how i should approach my application process, and what companies are likely to hire me? your feedback would be much appreciated. Thanks for looking :)

Apply Anywhere and everywhere your willing to drive to... go to the companies main station, fill out and application and turn it in with copies of your certifications...

EMT's are dime a dozen right now in CA and not alot of companies are hiring right now..

Good luck

(btw have all your certifications ready BEFORE you apply)

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Move out of the state

Alas

Forum Crew Member
Not to discourage you, but its been a year since i've certified and I just scored an upcoming interview this week. Most people told me to move when i asked the same question. I've applied to most companies within the bay area, and all of them either "weren't hiring" or you were put on a waitlist to interview. Thats what they told me anyways.
But here are the companies that i've applied to or plan to apply to:
Pro-Transport, Falcon Critical Care Transport, Norcal Ambulance, American Medical Response, and Bayshore Ambulance, Royal Ambulance, and California Pacific Medical Center.
Definately try and get experience and expose yourself while jobhunting through volunteering. Take the Fema ICS 100, 200 and 700 courses online. Volunteer with SF Paramedic Association- assisting medics with their refresher course i believe, but you may learn a thing or two.
Apply in person, apply by email, apply by fax. Call and ask about your application status. Thats all I can think of now, and will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Best of luck to you my brother.

Alas

OP
OP
jodyjones

jodyjones

Forum Ride Along
thanks guys for the input, ive got a list full of them private companies ima shoot for, and if all else fails im gonna go back to school this fall, hopefully i can get into the fire academy @ the city college over here.

OP
OP
jodyjones

jodyjones

Forum Ride Along
Not to discourage you, but its been a year since i've certified and I just scored an upcoming interview this week. Most people told me to move when i asked the same question. I've applied to most companies within the bay area, and all of them either "weren't hiring" or you were put on a waitlist to interview. Thats what they told me anyways.
Pro-Transport, Falcon Critical Care Transport, Norcal Ambulance, American Medical Response, and Bayshore Ambulance, Royal Ambulance, and California Pacific Medical Center.
Definately try and get experience and expose yourself while jobhunting through volunteering. Take the Fema ICS 100, 200 and 700 courses online. Volunteer with SF Paramedic Association- assisting medics with their refresher course i believe, but you may learn a thing or two.
Apply in person, apply by email, apply by fax. Call and ask about your application status. Thats all I can think of now, and will be happy to answer any other questions you may have. Best of luck to you my brother.

Alas

I'll take your word for it bro, my mom tells me that its hard when your first starting out. Are those FEMA classes free? Let me know how your job interview goes so I know what to expect, and best of luck to you on that.

Alas

Forum Crew Member
Ya those classes are free: http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/Is/is100.asp
That one's for ICS-100. Some companies require these classes otherwise, they'll look nice on your resume. "taking the class" consists of just reading a bunch of material then just taking a test at the end. I will definitely post my interview results on the forums.

Thank you,
Alas

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I did ICS 100, 200, and 700 while sitting at work when I picked up shifts doing unit coordinator. They are very easy

EDIT: OP, a thought just occurred to me. Check hospitals for ED tech and floor tech positions. I worked as a tech (started on the floor, then floated everywhere in the hospital) and loved it. A very good learning experience

Alas

Forum Crew Member
I did ICS 100, 200, and 700 while sitting at work when I picked up shifts doing unit coordinator. They are very easy

EDIT: OP, a thought just occurred to me. Check hospitals for ED tech and floor tech positions. I worked as a tech (started on the floor, then floated everywhere in the hospital) and loved it. A very good learning experience

Don't you need Phlebotomy to be an ED Tech/ER Tech?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Not always. I went through a course our ED put on the get my cert to stick before I was an Intermediate. (they recognize in that ED that EMT-I cert allows for starting lines w/out adtl traning) Since some places have a special scope for 'ED Tech' your outside cert doesn't always matter.

The fun part was that once I was trusted all over the hospital I got called to all sorts of floors to stick patients that RNs couldn't get

Last edited by a moderator:

beandip4all

Forum Lieutenant

Alas

Alas- congrats on the interview, good luck!

Others to also try: Silicon Valley, St. Joes up in Marin county, Norcal, Westmed and also there is another NEW company in Foster City (not bayshore) that has plain white rigs. I don't remember their name- but I think it starts with a U? Maybe... united? or something like that. You could check the San Mateo county EMS website, or call SMCo EMS office directly and ask. The fact that they seem to be new/growing makes me think newbies might have a good shot with them... oh- one other company that seems to be expanding into the bay area is called Verihealth. they have a nice sprinter i've seen running calls.

Be persistent!

ps- the calpac rigs you've seen around town are just amr rigs with a flashy paint job ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

slloth

Forum Crew Member
Ill be in your shoes soon! I just started in EMT-B and hope to be looking for a job in Sep/Oct.

MDA

Forum Lieutenant
ProTransport-1 in the Bay Area is constantly hiring.
If you need the right persons contact info, let me know.