Job application before certification?

Med20

Forum Ride Along
I am an undergraduate student and am looking to work as an EMT this summer in my home state of Indiana.

I will be taking the national practical (in the state of Connecticut) and written test in a few weeks. Assuming I pass both, how long does it take for the national website to show me as EMT certified?

And how long does the reciprocity process usually take for someone applying for a state license who already has NREMT, who's certification is in a different state?

Finally, can one apply for an EMT job in a state DURING the reciprocity process?

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
1: as soon as you pass the national written (computer test) you will find out in roughly 24 hours. As soon as you find out it will show you as nationally registered. You will receive stuff in the mail about 5-7 business days later.

2: going to completely depend on the state you are trying to get certified/licensed with. Could be 2 days or it could be 2 months.

2a: it's also going to depend on if said state uses the NREMT as their platform for entrance or if they have any state/county specific you need to do.

3: going to depend on the company. Some will allow it while others won't. In some areas you have to be employed before you can get a license.

TLDR: it's all going to depend on the specific state and agencies you are applying to.

OP
OP
M

Med20

Forum Ride Along
1: as soon as you pass the national written (computer test) you will find out in roughly 24 hours. As soon as you find out it will show you as nationally registered. You will receive stuff in the mail about 5-7 business days later.

2: going to completely depend on the state you are trying to get certified/licensed with. Could be 2 days or it could be 2 months.

2a: it's also going to depend on if said state uses the NREMT as their platform for entrance or if they have any state/county specific you need to do.

3: going to depend on the company. Some will allow it while others won't. In some areas you have to be employed before you can get a license.

TLDR: it's all going to depend on the specific state and agencies you are applying to.

Thank you so much.

I am looking to work in the state of Indiana, which does use NREMT.

But the Indiana EMS website says:

"Any nonresident of Indiana who possesses a certificate or license as an emergency medical technician that is valid in another state, or a valid registration issued by the National Registry, upon affiliation with an Indiana certified provider organization may apply to the agency for temporary certification as an emergency medical technician. Upon receipt of a valid application and verification of valid status by the agency, the agency may issue temporary certification, which shall be valid for the duration of the applicant’s current certificate or license or for a period not to exceed six (6) months from the date that the reciprocity request is approved by the agency, whichever period of time is shorter. A person receiving temporary certification may apply for full certification after completing Indiana examination requirements."

So does this mean that I'd have to have a job before I could even apply for reciprocity/Indiana license?

Most of the jobs in Indiana I've seen require an Indiana EMT license. So would I be able to even get one of these jobs if I haven't gotten the license yet?

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
Seems to be a 'Catch 22'. Looks like if you are a NREMT, or certified as an EMT by another state, you must be affiliated (hired by, member of) a certified EMS department or company to receive temporary reciprocity. Once temporary reciprocity is approved, it is good for up to six months. During that six month time frame Indiana assumes you will complete the requirements to be certified as an Indiana EMT by passing their examination. Depending on the company, they may hire you with the requirement to obtain reciprocity and then full certification in Indiana, or they may not accept your application. It is up to the service or company. I would call the organization in advance and ask what their internal requirements are before applying for the job.