JEMS: The Trade Rag of EMS

VentMonkey

Family Guy
Ya know, I still like and reference Jems and EMS World magazine from time to time. I think perhaps articles like so don't help their cause, nor do the over the top "reaper racing" enthusiasts who swear by them.

That being said, I view them as more of a "dessert" to the "dinner" I may ingest via abstracts, articles, books, and any other further in depth studies and actual journals.

Summit

Critical Crazy
Notice they don't ever have any "Disclosure of Financial Conflict of Interest"

Really, I hope Binder didn't pay much for that article. And who writes about themselves in the 3rd person?

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
JEMS and EMS World are 60% fluff, 20% ads, and 20% OK content. They're like the USA Today for Kids of EMS journalism. The gold standard in EMS journalism is found on the blogosphere, I'd say.

PHEC is the only "real" EMS journal deserving of the name, in the USA, anyway.

If we really want to advance as a field, we should be publishing in PHEC, NEJM, AEM, etc., not in trade rags.

VentMonkey

Family Guy
It's 60% fluff, 20% ads, and 20% OK content. They're like the USA Today for Kids of EMS journalism. The gold standard in EMS journalism is found on the blogosphere, I'd say.

PHEC is the only "real" EMS journal deserving of the name, in the USA, anyway.
Exactly! it's like a tabloid for EMS folk:).

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
Exactly! it's like a tabloid for EMS folk:).
If only it was as fun as the Post.
NY-Post.jpg

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
I had to look up AHLS.

Little did I know that Advanced Hazmat Life Support was a serious enough credential to place behind my name.

Summit

Critical Crazy
I had to look up AHLS.

Little did I know that Advanced Hazmat Life Support was a serious enough credential to place behind my name.

It might only be 16 hours, but if it costs at least $500, well that is pretty serious!

VentMonkey

Family Guy

Carlos Danger

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
I think their problem stems from trying to "over-simplify" our trade so that they can appeal to a broader audience, but hey, whatever sells I suppose...:confused:

That's exactly it. It's why every article has to start with "Medic 1 and Engine 1 were dispatched to.......law enforcement has deemed the scene safe......the 'providers' have donned appropriate PPE.....".

It's utterly ridiculous.

EpiEMS

Forum Deputy Chief
That's exactly it. It's why every article has to start with "Medic 1 and Engine 1 were dispatched to.......law enforcement has deemed the scene safe......the 'providers' have donned appropriate PPE.....".

It's utterly ridiculous.

Engine 1...as long as it's not Medic Engine 1...

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
I had to look up AHLS.

Why do you think I put PHTLS after mine?

I think some of JEMS articles are decent, but you have to remember it's a trade magazine, and sometimes they have advertisers and sponsors that need to get the best bang for their buck. The biggest issue I have with this article (if you can call it that) is that I have no idea what the Binder Lift device does, what it looks like, how it benefits anyone, or what it does. If anything, this looks more like a press release from the company, where JEMS put the who and where, and maybe the why, but forgot to include the what.

In case anyone was wondering, the binderlift is a vest like thing that goes around the patients waist, so providers have handles to help them walk and shoulder some of the weight. nice to have, but not all the special

Bullets

Forum Knucklehead
I had to look up AHLS.

Ive taken this class, it was being offered for free. I thought i was pretty good, got into the molecular level chemistry of common hazmats. it was only open to Medics, MICNs, MDs and the like so i think our instructor was a little more technical than normal. They ran a general course for anyone, including firemen, and i heard bad things.

Certainty not something i would put behind my name, but with the way EMS is now, i could just smash my head into my keyboard to generate postnomials and no one would ever ask about them.

Summit

Critical Crazy
i could just smash my head into my keyboard to generate postnomials and no one would ever ask about them.
hmmm I might have a new signature