I've got a hard decision to make...

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Copied from my blog because I don't feel like typing again:
Well... As of early Monday morning I am no longer a paramedic student, nor will I be testing for my National Registry Paramedic anytime soon. My preceptor felt that my assessment was too rough and unorganized, and my 'scene presence' was not good enough, to be turned loose as a practicing paramedic. To say that I feel like my life has just been turned on it's head is an understatement.
One thing I'll say for my program's faculty is that they have been the best since this happened. Another reason I am very glad I started with the program that I did. They have offered me the ability to test for my intermediate licensure at the national level (I85, which will turn into EMT-A) due to the fact that my medic program covers every facet (clinical, skills, and most certainly knowledge) needed for that licensure level. I'm making sure to test for Intermediate mainly so I can get a job for some 911 experience (which I'm thinking might help my deficieits during internship) and to be able to move down to the ED at my hospital job and get the pay raise for that. I think all in all I'll be happier doing the above than I am right now... Not that it takes much to make me happier at this point.
The other thing I need to think about is that I just had my 90 day eval at the hospital. They are very impressed by my performance and have offered to pay 100% of all my nursing school expenses, along with helping me have the state pay for it so I can basically get a stipend to help cover whatever in addition to my salary. This all sounds like a good thing to me, and they would want my commitment to work in the ED as a nurse for 4 years after I graduate with my BSN, which is also the time the state would require me to work in-state to pay off the state for whatever they give me. Doesn't sound like too bad of a deal, especially since I can get a contract stipulating 2 years ED then move up to ICU.
So now I need to decide if I want to redo the medic chohort to be able to redo my internship and then go for nursing after that, or if I want to get my BSN and then challenge the medic testing process. Right now I have no idea which one would be better. I'm kinda leaning towards nursing first, but I love working on an ambulance and don't know how well it would go working as a nurse and going to medic school... I might at that point wind up working so much as a nurse that I wouldn't have time for medic.
My eventual goal is still the same. To fly on either rotor or fixed-wing aircraft. Not picky if I do scene response or IFT. I just want to work in flight medicine, as that branch appeals to me most of all.
Well, that's all I have for now. Time to get back to work I guess. It's time for another round of vitals on my 10 patients.

EDIT: I will say that after talking to my nurses I work with they are all recommending me for nursing school (I currently have 8 letters of recomendation from various nurses of all levels (from Inpt Manager down to my floor charge). The only problem is even with all the pre reqs done (which will be at the end of next semester) it's gonna take a while to get in... at least that's what I was told. So that means I might take medic again while waiting to get into nursing school... I'm just lost on what to do, so any advice would be welcome, especially from people like Rid, Vent, and Medic417

Last edited by a moderator:

dmc2007

Forum Captain
It would seem to me (being new and inexperienced), that you open up a lot more possibilities doing the BSN since you can challenge back to Paramedic (and based on what I've read here will open a lot more doors for flight medicine). Considering the Hospital/state is paying for it, I'd say go for it.

grich242

Forum Crew Member
First any education you can get someone else to pay for is a usually a pretty good idea. As for wanting to fly being an Rn with icu experience as well as a medic license is required in all programs around here with the exception of one. As for wanting to be a medic and work on the road you're right it's fun so here is an example : my wife was a medic and loved it, never wanting to do anything else...until she suffered a back injury on duty requiring surgery it took her 2 years to heal fully. She is still unable to work the road because the risk of reinjury is extremely high. Now as a medic who cant work the road where do you go to get a job?the next logical choice the er. Oh yeah but you're not an rn now and 10 years into your career with kids house etc(I defer to the medic to get ready for med school discussion) and you want to go back to school now? As an rn the ability to do different jobs is almost limitless. in most cases the pay is much better, in Michigan they predict a nursing shortage of about 7k over the next 6 years statewide. As a medic your options besides the road in comparison are pretty limited. As for challenging the medic license I know a couple of rn's who have done it. All had experience in er or icu and did it in a 2 week class. I'm sure its different in other states but it can be done. Lastly as an rn working in a hospital you may have access to a ton of cert programs and extra educational classes or certs like tncc for example all which is a great benefit as well as help build a resume. be a nurse

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
My personal feeling is that if you're looking at going to RN School... you should do it. When you're done, you'll have had 2 years of practicing as a student, working on refining and organizing your assessment further. I think you'll come out ahead of the game then, and you'll be a much better RN for at least having gone through medic school. When it's time, you'll be ready to challenge the Paramedic's License, and you'll go through the field time with far less difficulty.

I'd say: Be a Nurse. It'll do you good in the long run.

Though I'm a Paramedic, I'm going down that pathway myself... it's just a question of when I get to start...

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Considered PA or Nurse Practitioner?

Before you plunge, look at the higher-hanging fruit.
The prep courses for RN, PA and NP are very similar, but they are not steps on a continuum, they are discrete, like RN is not (I found out) a "step above" paramedic or EMT. However, if you found you didn't want the PA or NP, you could use the prereqs for BSN.
Other organizations are willing to pay for you to go to schools also. I don't know about now, but inthe past the VA, Bureau of Indian Affairs, the military and some states are willing to do it. Get with a counselor and look around.B)

OP
OP
TransportJockey

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Before you plunge, look at the higher-hanging fruit.
The prep courses for RN, PA and NP are very similar, but they are not steps on a continuum, they are discrete, like RN is not (I found out) a "step above" paramedic or EMT. However, if you found you didn't want the PA or NP, you could use the prereqs for BSN.
Other organizations are willing to pay for you to go to schools also. I don't know about now, but inthe past the VA, Bureau of Indian Affairs, the military and some states are willing to do it. Get with a counselor and look around.B)

I've definately considered becoming an NP. Not so much for PA though. And trust me I am trying to consider everything... but it all seems to pile up right now nad it's just hurting my head :p

Summit

Critical Crazy
You've got people telling you that you didn't cut the cheese as a medic.

You've got people telling you they think you'd make a rocking nurse AND THEY WANT TO PAY YOU TO BECOME ONE AND PAY FOR YOU TO BECOME ONE.

If you have an interest in RN, do it foo!

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Advil two po q 4 hr prn confusion

Get some sleep.

Seaglass

Lesser Ambulance Ape
You've got people telling you that you didn't cut the cheese as a medic.

You've got people telling you they think you'd make a rocking nurse AND THEY WANT TO PAY YOU TO BECOME ONE AND PAY FOR YOU TO BECOME ONE.

If you have an interest in RN, do it foo!

This. Sleep on it, don't make a hasty decision, explore your options, and all that... but from what you posted, it really does sound like life just whacked you with a clue-by-four.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief

atropine

Forum Captain
I don't know buddy if you couldn't hack it as a paramedic RN may not be the way to go, why don't you take some time off.