IV Lab

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
So, today in lab (I am taking the I 85 course), we started the live stab lab...I have never had an IV before...I do not like it lol. I am proud to say however, that I got all my required sticks for the sign off on the first try, no wiggling needed or restarts. I have marks all over my arms and a few on my hand now though from other students.

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
So, today in lab (I am taking the I 85 course), we started the live stab lab...I have never had an IV before...I do not like it lol. I am proud to say however, that I got all my required sticks for the sign off on the first try, no wiggling needed or restarts. I have marks all over my arms and a few on my hand now though from other students.

That's the only part about medic school I am not going to like already. I my body doesn't like needles. B/P= 62/40 after a TB shot...

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
We weren't allowed to do ivs on each other in class or lab. Something about their insurance.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Its not the blood that bothers me. I used to get bad ...epistaxis lol otherwise known as a blood nose, rather often. Never bothered me. Its the whole 'hey look at that, there is something being stabbed into your arm buddy' that bothers me.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
We weren't allowed to do ivs on each other in class or lab. Something about their insurance.

Insurance is a requirement to be in the class. We were in small groups and before a stick could be attempted, the instructor had to be there.

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
Insurance is a requirement to be in the class. We were in small groups and before a stick could be attempted, the instructor had to be there.

We had insurance as well. However it did not cover us sticking each other as there was not a medical need. My guess is someone a while ago complained.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Ah. I can understand that.

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
I don't feel that anyone should be forced to get stuck by partners or class mates. This is the one thing that I'm wary about as I wait to take my AEMT class in the fall. I've had a few vagal triggered syncopal episodes with IVs and it's just not enjoyable. IVs on others are fine if their willing but not on me.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I don't feel that anyone should be forced to get stuck by partners or class mates. This is the one thing that I'm wary about as I wait to take my AEMT class in the fall. I've had a few vagal triggered syncopal episodes with IVs and it's just not enjoyable. IVs on others are fine if their willing but not on me.

Our policy in class was if you aren't willing to take a live start from a classmate you aren't allowed to practice live starts on classmates. It's a two way street. Why do you get to practice on me if I don't get to practice on you? :ph34r:

Most everyone in my class had pipes for veins so it ended up with us starting random obscure peripheral IVs in places that were less than enjoyable. id wrists, between the thumb and forefinger, a couple biceps. Just to get practice on something you couldn't throw an angiocath at from the other side of the room and hit.

Anjel

Forum Angel
We had to do 15 on each other.

I looked like a junkie.

I had bruises on my forearms, wrists(were the worst), AC, hands, and feet.

Only 2 people were able to get one on me.

I give props to the one who went for the wrist.

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
Honestly? The whole thing is kinda ridiculous. I did it in my class but didn't learn anything particularly enlightening. A lot of insurance policies prohibit it. The only reason it persist is its a low risk deal. What if we all had to RSI each other?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
What if we all had to RSI each other?

I don't think you'd or my classmates would be happy with that idea. There's a reason I've been poking and prodding at our clinical director to get OR time as well as looking for reputable airway classes within reasonable distance of me.

Self admitted the biggest problem I have when it comes to skills. According to an ER doc "You *****foot around with the laryngoscope".

usalsfyre

You have my stapler
There's a fine line between "*****footing" and tincture of brutane though. Never forget its an instrument and should be used as one ;).

OIFXGunner

Forum Probie
We also weren't allowed to start IV's on each other during class...

However I did play a decent practical joke on my instructor. I took the catheter from an 18ga, hooked it up to an extension set, cut the lumen off of the catheter hub, and put it on my buddy's neck with a tegaderm and tape. It looked like a fairly convincing EJ- my instructor about had a stroke when he saw it. :ph34r: :rofl: