Is your signficant other in EMS?

Do you date/marry outside of EMS/Healthcare?

• Total voters

Sasha

Forum Chief
A topic came up in the chat. I'm going out on a date tomorrow, and he's not in EMS, people commented that there would be no connection. So I was wondering. Is your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/life partner in EMS? Is that a requirement for you to be interested in them?

Would you date someone in EMS? Would you date someone outside of EMS?

Do you have a lot of relationship problems because of EMS or health care?

Last edited by a moderator:

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
I disagree. I see no reason why there would be no connection. I'm sure that there's something that your date does that you are not involved in, but you can still form a connection.
I have had only one boyfriend involved in EMS, and other boyfriends I've had I still found other connections with. All I request is that they support me with what I do, and at least pretend to show an interest or try to learn. I had one bf who didn't really bother showing any interest and would ignore me if I started talking about anything EMS related, and it didn't work out, at all. But I still supported him in his music, something I really don't know much about but still tried to learn about it.

A plus with dating someone else in EMS is that they can help you study/go over something youaren't quite sure about, or have them talk you through an issue you've had with a call. It also provides some very interesting stories you can learn from, and enjoy because you understant what s/he is talking about.

Good luck on your date, though, I'm sure you can find SOME subject that interests the both of you ^_^

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hmm... let's see.
3 Ex's & all were involved some how in EMS.

# 1 was a EMT/I and then became a RT then a RN
#2 was a Paramedic
#3 (fiance) was a flight nurse.

I swore NO more of those associated within EMS or even health care; but I have to admit dating "normal" people can be boring at times. Discussing world events and politics can only be done so much.. :D

R/r 911

medic417

The Truth Provider
My wife has nothing to do with any health field and we have been married for decades.

daedalus

Forum Deputy Chief
Someone I was talking to decided it was unacceptable that I could not text while in class or at work while I was on a call. They did not understand why on earth I could not stop patient care at work, or while in class sticking my first IV, I couldn't be available ASAP to text back.

Non EMS people are weird...

terrible one

Always wandering
Never had a gf involved in EMS and would prefer not too.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
My ex-fiance/fiance/whatever she is today is an EMT/Dispatcher

EMTinNEPA

Guess who's back...
Only ever had one girlfriend and that was years before EMS.

However, I would have no problem dating somebody on the job.

ResTech

Forum Asst. Chief
I prefer to date outside of EMS. I dont like to live it 24/7 and its nice to be with someone who has other primary interests then EMS. I like EMS to be my own little world. I dont believe what ppl said in chat to be true about the connection. Just because they dont do EMS doesn't mean ne thing. The majority of ppl I've dated have had nothing to do with EMS and we had connection.

Mountain Res-Q

Forum Deputy Chief
Hmmm.... sounds like R/r911 has an opening for #4. So, Sasha, if it doesn;t work out tomarrow, give rid a call.... ^_^

On topic... should I be stupid enough to contemplate marriage I want to be with someone who understands me. Do they have to be in emergency services to understand me? No. But I know too many people who don't understnad why I do what I do, how I deal with it, and why my mind is just a tad twisted. In fact, some of those "friends" and family try to discourage me from doing what I do and in some cases make fun of me for it. They obviously do not understand me or any of you and why we do what we do. I don't need someone in my private life to discuse my professional life with; but I do need someone who understands what my professioanl life is all about and how that factors into my personality and emotions... and accepts the twisted person that Emergency Services has made me... or is it that I was already twisted and therefore attracted the EMS?

reaper

Working Bum
My ex wife is a CCRN. It worked out good, but we grew apart. My current Girl friend is a Paramedic. We have more in common outside of EMS. But, it is nice that they know what is going on. I have dated plenty outside of EMS. Really does not matter to me. Just depends on how well you get along!

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I've been dateless for a year. And it will be 10 more months before it's even a possibility again.

Thanks for reminding me. :sad:

Sapphyre

Forum Asst. Chief
My husband/soon-to-be-ex-husband/whatever he is to me this week, is not in EMS. He does do SAR. We've grown apart, he no longer understands me. It is entirely possible that this is unrelated to me being EMS, and totally related to the fact that we've been together since I was 17.

Should I see the need to start dating again, I could see dating both in and out of EMS. What's important to me is connection, and I have enough interests outside of EMS that I don't need EMS as the connection, and an understanding of who I am as a person, what the job does to us, exactly how sick and twisted we are, and, that, sorry, the only time you can truly plan to do anything with me is on my days off....

Katie Elaine

Forum Probie
Hmmm.... sounds like R/r911 has an opening for #4. So, Sasha, if it doesn;t work out tomarrow, give rid a call.... ^_^

On topic... should I be stupid enough to contemplate marriage I want to be with someone who understands me. Do they have to be in emergency services to understand me? No. But I know too many people who don't understnad why I do what I do, how I deal with it, and why my mind is just a tad twisted. In fact, some of those "friends" and family try to discourage me from doing what I do and in some cases make fun of me for it. They obviously do not understand me or any of you and why we do what we do. I don't need someone in my private life to discuse my professional life with; but I do need someone who understands what my professioanl life is all about and how that factors into my personality and emotions... and accepts the twisted person that Emergency Services has made me... or is it that I was already twisted and therefore attracted the EMS?

I completely understand. My ex, when I first met him, was hanging with my friends when a call came across me and my partner's pager (we're volunteers for the time being). he later on told me that he thought I was crazy because I yelled at them to be quiet as we tried to sign on en route, and thought there was something wrong with me because we rushed to our HQ and needed them out of our way. At first I thought that maybe I was obsessed or doing something wrong, but then I realized that he just didn't understand the hurry behind a call to respond to traumatic injuries due to a snowboarding accident

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Even though I'm young, I've found it difficult to date people that are not somehow involved in public safety... EMS, police, fire, military... I think there's just a sick sense of humor common to all that most people outside those fields just cannot understand. That said, I have a feeling that will change as I get older. I've dated a few firefighters, EMTs and medics (no cops yet :p) , my latest serious-ish relationship being with an Army vet fresh from Iraq (horrible idea), who was a firefighter prior to enlisting.

So you know that song "I'm in Love With a Stripper" ?

I'm doing a remix... "I'm in Love With a Whacker." :sad: It's awful.

JonTullos

Forum Captain
My wife is a teacher. We talk about some stuff I've learned in class, some things that happen on fire calls, etc. She seems interested in what I do and likes hearing about it. I thank God that we're in seperate professions. I'm not opposed to dating inside any profession but I don't think being in the same profession is necessary for the two people to have a connection. EMS people might be a different lot but that doesn't mean that they should all date each other.

sop

Forum Lieutenant
A topic came up in the chat. I'm going out on a date tomorrow, and he's not in EMS, people commented that there would be no connection. So I was wondering. Is your husband/wife/girlfriend/boyfriend/life partner in EMS? Is that a requirement for you to be interested in them?

Would you date someone in EMS? Would you date someone outside of EMS?

Do you have a lot of relationship problems because of EMS or health care?

Keep work problems at work and home problems at home. If someone in the EMS had a crush on me and I had a crush on that person, sure I will date her.

DV_EMT

Forum Asst. Chief
My fiancee is a nurse, I'm currently just working as a Rx tech and an EMT in our County MRC. So.... kinda but not really.