Is volunteering work considered a clinical experience?

Imadagha

Forum Ride Along
Good evening,

I'm a 25 year old Industrial Engineer from Lebanon. I've been a volunteer for the Lebanese Red Cross as an EMT and have an experience of more than 2000 hours in dealing with trauma and medical patients (started since 2015). I have done my EMT-B Test within the Lebanese Red Cross supervision, and took a continuious education program developed by the National Association of Emergency Medical Technicians (NAEMT), the Pre-hospital Trauma Life Support (PHTLS).

I am reconsidering a change in my career, and thinking about working in an medical sector.
My questions are the following:

- Is my volunteering experience considered if I ever applied to a job outside lebanon?

- Do I have to take a 3 year bachelor degree to become a certified EMT in another country?

- Is there a possibility to use my experience in another country?

- What do i have options in order to become a paramedic in the following countries? ( Europe - Canada - USA - Australia or New Zealand)

- Do all paramedic schools require huge tuition fees for international students?

I hope someone can provide me with information regarding these questions
And thank you!

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Greetings from a fellow industrial engineer. The following applies to the U.S. only:

1. There's a chance your volunteer experience would help get you into a school or a job, but it wouldn't be sufficient to get you certified as an EMT or paramedic.

2. You don't need a degree to become an EMT. In most (all?) states, you don't need a degree to become a paramedic, either.

3. You know what you know -- no one can take that from you. However, you'd need state EMT certification wherever you plan to work.

4. In most (all?) states, a high school diploma and EMT certification are prerequisites for paramedic school. Whether or not you could get credit for any of your foreign credentials would depend on the school and location; high school -- maybe, EMT -- unlikely.

5. I'm not familiar with tuition surcharges for international students.

Hope that helps.

Jambow

Forum Probie
- Is my volunteering experience considered if I ever applied to a job outside lebanon?
YES - put all experience and certifications on a resume or job application
It is possible that another city or county could not accept your EMT education
and require you to take their class or education

- Do I have to take a 3 year bachelor degree to become a certified EMT in another country?
In US - Most EMT-Basic classes are short duration and non-degree classes. Most last 3-6 months

- Is there a possibility to use my experience in another country?
Yes - Im sure some of the equipment and procedures would be different, I would think most of the job would be the same
Again, depending on where, they may require you to do additional or complete the course work again

- What do i have options in order to become a paramedic in the following countries? ( Europe - Canada - USA - Australia or New Zealand)
US, North Carolina, As an EMT you would have to take a paramedic class, Depending on how the class is organized could be a couple of months to a few years. (degree vs non-degree program) (traditional vs hybrid (online))

- Do all paramedic schools require huge tuition fees for international students?
Again, North Carolina here, Most programs are through the community college system, Bachelors programs are through universities.