Is this outdated?

G blue

Forum Ride Along
Hello, i am getting ready to go to an EMT class in august. I was given a EMERGENCY CARE seventh edition (1994) curriculum to study before the class starts. Is this still good to use as a study curriculum? or should i find a newer curriculum? Being completely new to this field i did not know how many changes there has been from 1994 to present.
God bless

DesertMedic66

Forum Troll
There has been a decent amount of changes in 20+ years. You would be fine with a text book a couple of years outdated but not 20.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
From what I remember of the 1994 curriculum, parts of it would be considered outdated or incomplete today. Are you saying your instructor gave you that?

OP
OP
G

G blue

Forum Ride Along
Im sorry i should have clarified. This curriculum was given to me by a man at my department as a pre-study book just to have a better understanding before starting emt class. This was the newest he had

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Im sorry i should have clarified. This curriculum was given to me by a man at my department as a pre-study book just to have a better understanding before starting emt class. This was the newest he had

I guess that's ok if you're just looking to get an idea of general EMT stuff.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Honestly, I don't know that I'd even use that to gain a general overview of an EMT. That's horribly horribly outdated

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Honestly, I don't know that I'd even use that to gain a general overview of an EMT. That's horribly horribly outdated

1. It's free.
2. It's available.
3. There are many things about being an EMT that haven't changed since 1994.
4. The book would give the OP a sense of how the field has progressed if he/she proceeds with the current course.

We've advised the OP that the book is outdated. Having made that point, I don't see the harm in having a look. I'm pretty sure I did the same when I got started.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
There are plenty of free or low cost books available with a little searching that are only a few years old. Even some of those may potentially be dated.

I absolutely would NOT recommend using a 25 year old text in order to get an idea or any idea about how the job is now or how it will be in the future. I would only recommend using this book once you have completed school and wanted to view it from a historical perspective.

Akulahawk

EMT-P/ED RN
Community Leader
Such an old textbook wouldn't be completely useless... it will at least give the reader an idea of the level of reading comprehension necessary to get through a class. There will be some things that won't have changed much in, well, pretty much forever but there have been changes in how we provide care to patients since that textbook was printed. Probably the best thing to remember is that few things in medicine are set in stone. Once you start down this journey, you're going to be in for learning new things, relearning old things, and generally finding that being an EMT is usually pretty darned boring most of the time.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
it will at least give the reader an idea of the level of reading comprehension necessary to get through a class.

By the original post, I can tell the user has passed 6th grade and will do just fine.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
First off, that's impressive; my EMT textbook was the 8th edition. I compared it to the current one, and it was literally half the size. Will you be using the Emergency Care book in class? Or are they using a different textbook altogether? You can look to get one from Amazon at https://www.amazon.com/s?k=Emergency+Care&ref=nb_sb_noss or look to get one used. will you need to digital companion? that's extra.

There have been many changes in the past 20 years. more content added. more material to learn. more stuff to study. Different order of stuff. Planning ahead is a good thing; using a 20 year old textbook for class is not something I would recommend doing.

OP
OP
G

G blue

Forum Ride Along
Thank you for the replies, i am currently looking to get a more recent study book.

CCCSD

Forum Deputy Chief
“Hi. My name is Mark Bennett, and I’m an EMT with the Glen Echo Fire Department...”