Is long hair professional in EMS?

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Hey Guys,
My hair is getting long. I was in the military for a pretty long time and since I got out I have enjoyed growing my hair out. However it has been getting pretty long lately, about a foot long and still growing. My part time job issued me a hat I must wear on duty. I am the only employee that received one. I am ok with this but I am still looking for fulltime work and hope this does not hurt my chances. Is long hair on male Paramedics unprofessional? I am not interested in working for a fire department, I am aware of there grooming standards.
Any feedback would be great.

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
"And the sign says long haired freaky people need not apply"

...Love that song.

All seriousness tho...I think hair length should not be an issue in EMS as long as it looks clean and is neat but there is that perceived public service look that the public and most management have. Even tho you may be a volly, commercial or municiple dude in EMS most tax payers think they pay your salery and expect clean cut people. As far as me if I called 911 I just want help and don't care if your hair is green, has dreds, or your bald.

Most services expect males to have hair no longer than the collar, women have it up in a bun (rarely enforced) or pony tail.

I think for the hiring process cut it...then grow it out and see what you can get away with (once your on the job).

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Even if your employer allows foot-long hair, you might want to consider Medic One's comments about public perception. People have a right not to like the way you look. You have a right to make your appearance a matter of principle and accept the consequences.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Yes long hair is unprofessional on males. While it is no longer considered as bad as it used to still many still think of professionals being clean cut.

Sadly though check with the services in your area I am sure you will find some that do not care if you are a professional or not.

Smash

Forum Asst. Chief
Professionalism has nothing to do with length of hair, length of nails, facial hair, tattoos, piercings, branding/scarification or any other superficial features.

As professionals we commit ourselves: to the highest standards of patient care; to higher education and to ongoing education; to developing and maintaining stringent standards for ourselves, irrespective of others expectations; to self-regulation; to research and development of treatment modalities that will benefit our patients; to teaching future generations of EMTs (without resorting to 'war stories' ad nauseum); and to treating others as we would be treated.

Medic One

Forum Lieutenant
Professionalism has nothing to do with length of hair, length of nails, facial hair, tattoos, piercings, branding/scarification or any other superficial features.

As professionals we commit ourselves: to the highest standards of patient care;

True statment about professionalism but............

Length of fingernails is an issue, can break through gloves and if fake nails/aqrylic etc.. they are proven to carry MRSA. We have a no long fingernail policy for road crews

Facial Hair also an issue....facial hair can cause problems with TB Masks. We have a no gotee past the bridge of chin and mustaches must be to military standard (thin and not go past the outer edge of the lip)
With a doctors note males are allowed beards/neck hair trimmed low if they have "Pseudofolliculitis barbae" - bumps caused from shaving..prodominetly with african americans. We issue special respirators to these crews and they are required to have very frequent fit testing.

We have a Stud only earing policy no facial earings/studs...nose/lip/eye brow piercings must be removed during shift

Tatoos are allowed but if they are offensive such as skull cross bones or what management deems as inappropriate you must cover them during shift or wear the long sleeve uniform year round.

The only things that bother me are the long facial hair and long nails....otherwise I don't care.
Unfortunetly the public views all emergency responders as public servents whether work private, volly, or municiple and they do pay your salary one way or another by either having insurance, pay co-pays or donate/pay city taxes. What they perceive may be professionalism but a sloppy crew. They always remember the sloppy crew part.

I agree with Smash's post that we are professionals but sometimes the public forgets that when we get to their emergency.

Last edited by a moderator:

adamjh3

Forum Culinary Powerhouse
...Mustaches must be to military standard (thin and not go past the outer edge of the lip)

Po-leece that moo-stash!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

clibb

Forum Captain
If you looked like Forrest Gump when he's running cross country in the movie, then it would probably be labeled as unprofessional. But long hair? No way man.

reaper

Working Bum
In real life, it does not matter what we think. There are so many Medics looking for a job, that the employer can choose who they want. If you want the job. Cut the hair.

emt_irl

Forum Captain
personally i think it looks un-tidy for a man to have long hair and most guys dont have it kept asd well as the ladies..(well maybe some do ive seen some guys in hair salons haha)

the ideal set up for me would be short neat hair, clean cut or very well groomed facial hair and on women, hair tied back, no rings or mabye just the wedding band and no make up(or minimal make up) as its a job, not a fashion show.

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief

Agreed!

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
as my gf just said (who has nothing to do with EMS, and works as a career counselor), as she was looking over the shoulder, "of course it does. guys with long hair leave a bad taste in people's mouth." and I am inclined to agree.

come to think of it, that very fact was mentioned back in my college days when speaking to the career counselor.

can you get hired with long flowing blonde hair? absolutely.

will it look better if it's tied back in a pony tail? yep.

would it be even better if it was cut short, if you were clean shaven, and you were dressed in a suit and tie when you went for an interview? well, you make the call on that one.

Just for the record, you can only make one first impression. it's easier to make a good one to gt a job, then a possibly bad one and have to prove you are still worth the job. just saying

CAOX3

Forum Deputy Chief
Professional:

1 a : of, relating to, or characteristic of a profession b : engaged in one of the learned professions c (1) : characterized by or conforming to the technical or ethical standards of a profession (2) : exhibiting a courteous, conscientious, and generally businesslike manner in the workplace

2 a : participating for gain or livelihood in an activity or field of endeavor often engaged in by amateurs <a professional golfer> b : having a particular profession as a permanent career <a professional soldier> c : engaged in by persons receiving financial return <professional football>

3 : following a line of conduct as though it were a profession <a professional patriot>

— pro·fes·sion·al·ly adverb

No mention of appearence.

Now I believe you should be well kept, does that eliminate you from having a beard, long hair or a tattoo? Not in my book.

Call me crazy but I am way more interested in you being able to handle your so called business then if you have a mullet or a crew cut.

Last edited by a moderator:

medic417

The Truth Provider

As professionals we commit ourselves: to the highest standards of patient care; to higher education and to ongoing education; to developing and maintaining stringent standards for ourselves, irrespective of others expectations; to self-regulation; to research and development of treatment modalities that will benefit our patients; to teaching future generations of EMTs (without resorting to 'war stories' ad nauseum); and to treating others as we would be treated.

Actually professional appearance is part of professionalism.

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
Actually professional appearance is part of professionalism.

Agreed 100%

There's also the problem of long hair being able to be grabbed by the patient. Just something to consider.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Agreed 100%

There's also the problem of long hair being able to be grabbed by the patient. Just something to consider.

Long hair and stethoscopes around the neck, both safety issues.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Agreed 100%

Someone can grab my neck, my arms, and my legs. Might as well lose those too, ehh?

No, long hair is not considered unprofessional by people in OUR generation. However, since many of the upper echelon are not of our generation, they still view it as unprofessional.

However, I shudder to think of what the world will be like when baby boomers all retire, and our bosses are us. :unsure:

Aerin-Sol

Forum Captain
No, long hair is not considered unprofessional by people in OUR generation. However, since many of the upper echelon are not of our generation, they still view it as unprofessional.

Probably the most succinct way of stating things.

As far as whether or not you need to cut it for an interview, it really depends on the company. You don't need to be clean-shaven, buzz-cut, and wearing a suit and tie if you're interviewing at a company where the management all wears polo shirts. You'll look out of place. I would try and find other people who work for the specific company you are looking at, and ask them what management looks like, what they wear in the office, and how many other men have long hair.

Personally, I wouldn't worry what my patients thought about my gender presentation.

medic417

The Truth Provider
Personally, I wouldn't worry what my patients thought about my gender presentation.

Wow that is the most unprofessional statement of the year. What we do is about the patients not about us. Odds are most of your patients will be older people that feel men should not have long hair. Why should you cause them stress and aggravation? Do whats best for the patient.

Oh and don't start the well if they don't like white/brown/black people are we going to change medics crap. Hair is a simple item you can control. Race or gender is something that we can not control.

atropine

Forum Captain
Well long hair is not that big of an issue, culture and region can play a pat in the long hair debate, however being over weight as a healthcare provider should more of an issue to be recognized. Nobody wants a fat medic coming to their rescue.