Is it woth it?

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Okay, you got me. I'm not going to ask the question you think. :rolleyes:

My question for the group is this: Is the EMT-Intermediate level a valuable level, or just a bridge between the basic and paramedic level, and if so, should it be done away with?

I'm specifically talking about the EMT-Intermediate/85 level of the National Registry, or the state equivalent that allows an EMT to start an IV but not to push any drugs, including first-line cardiac drugs.

SafetyPro2

Forum Safety Officer
Can't really say from personal experience. In California, each county (or in a few cases a 2 or 3 neighboring counties together) regulates EMS. None of the urban counties in my area have EMT-2 (our state designation for Intermediate) as part of the system...just EMT-1 (Basic) and Paramedic.

In the rural counties that use it, EMT-2 is generally the highest level readily available and Paramedics are few and far between.

In 2006, the whole state is going to be moving to NREMT for Basic, and I believe they're going to eleminate Intermediate altogether at that time.

MMiz

I put the M in EMTLife
Community Leader
At all the Community Colleges around here, this is how the system works:

First:
EMT-B - 1 Semester

Second
EMT-I - 1 additional semester

Last
EMT-P - 1 additional semester

I'm not sure what being an EMT-I really means in your county. In Michigan, many counties require 2 EMT-Ps, or an EMT-I and EMT-P to be an ALS unit. My county doesn't even recognize EMT-I, and all EMT-Is are only allowed to perform EMT-B skills. My county also requires an ALS unit to have an EMT-P+EMT-P, so in reality the EMT-I designation is just a stepping-stone.

In many rural counties, an EMT-I is extremely valuable. They can push some meds, and start IVs, which can literally save lives in MVCs (AKA MVAs). In michigan they also read EKGs, but can't use ACLS drugs. They can insert an ETA along with the EMT-B OPA, NPA, and Combitube.

I'd talk to peope in your area, as it really is a regional issue. I always believe that the extra education can't hurt.

Just my 2 cents.

OP
OP
ffemt8978

ffemt8978

Forum Vice-Principal
Community Leader
Originally posted by MMiz@Jun 14 2004, 01:24 AM
I'm not sure what being an EMT-I really means in your county. In Michigan, many counties require 2 EMT-Ps, or an EMT-I and EMT-P to be an ALS unit. My county doesn't even recognize EMT-I, and all EMT-Is are only allowed to perform EMT-B skills. My county also requires an ALS unit to have an EMT-P+EMT-P, so in reality the EMT-I designation is just a stepping-stone.

In many rural counties, an EMT-I is extremely valuable. They can push some meds, and start IVs, which can literally save lives in MVCs (AKA MVAs). In michigan they also read EKGs, but can't use ACLS drugs. They can insert an ETA along with the EMT-B OPA, NPA, and Combitube.

I'd talk to peope in your area, as it really is a regional issue. I always believe that the extra education can't hurt.

Just my 2 cents.
I believe I've mentioned before about how many "intermediate" levels my state has (Washington). Also for the record, I was previously certified as a NREMT-I/85 and an Iowa EMT-I. The reason I downgraded my certifications was for ease of reciprocity when I moved to Washington.

The EMT-I level that I'm talking about can't push any drugs, only start the IV line. As far as starting lines in trauma patients, I agree that it is invaluable but you're essentially making pink lemonade if they have some major bleeding going on.

I agree the extra education doesn't hurt, since I am currently a EMT-B with an EMT-I's knowledge. The extra knowledge that I have is basically associated with blood chemistry.

TKO

Forum Lieutenant
I want to go back to do some more training and was going to go the way of Intermediate Care Medic but from talking with ppl in the feild the advice has been skip that step and go straight to Advanced Car and dont waste your money.