Is hitting 90 mph transporting L&S on interstate acceptable?

Tnaemt94

Forum Crew Member
I often hit 90-95 mph on the interstate transporting out of town 10-33 traffic

Tour 1

Forum Probie
If you're exceeding the posted speed limit, it's idiotic and reckless.This is what inexperienced providers do thinking it's 'cool' and that it makes a difference in the patient's outcome.
Also, your justification that it's rural Tennessee interstate between the hours of 0100-0400 is idiotic, too. As if this somehow matters...

luke_31

Forum Asst. Chief
You would still be a risk to yourself, your partner, and the patient. At those speeds you don't have a lot of time to take corrective action if your path suddenly becomes blocked or obscured. I've worked rural and urban, there is never a time to go at those speeds safely. Don't forget ambulances are more top heavy than most other vehicles and quick changes in direction at those speeds highly increases the risk of rolling over.

CANMAN

Forum Asst. Chief
I often hit 90-95 mph on the interstate transporting out of town 10-33 traffic

No not acceptable, and the fact that your partner tolerates it is also disturbing. You and I would have one "come to Jesus" talk if I was your partner and that would be your only one. All fun and games til you hit and kill a family and get charged with involuntary manslaughter for driving without due regard. Or best case scenario some State Trooper intervenes and writes you a wreckless driving ticket.... Seconds, not minutes is what your saving by driving that fast, nobody's life is worth that...

Last edited:

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
Been there, done that, the novelty wore off quick. we cruised at 80 or so on the interstate when I worked rural ems in nm. That was five over. And 85 on the interstate in rural texas, as that was also five over. But not much above that on a normal basis

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
It is rural Tennessee interstate, usually between the hours of 0100-0400
In the event this is real:

What do you think you're gaining by driving like this?

If you have to ask if it is appropriate, what does that tell you?

When you nail a deer (or worse) at that speed do you think your employer will be pleased?

What will you say to the cop who follows you to the ED? You save lives?

Do you have any ability to critically think and make risk/benefit calculations?

Inquiring minds want to know.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief

Mufasa556

Forum Captain
I get uncomfortable anytime I get up near 88mph, because I'm afraid I'll go back in time.

My second week at work we responded L&S to a hospital for a brain bleed transfer. My partner was doing 100mph, that was as fast as the rig would go, and it was a little frightening. They're cumbersome vehicles and shouldn't be going that fast.

We're governerd by our tracking system. Anything above 72-76mph (it's debated) the Sup automatically gets an email with our rig number and speed. We're also not allowed to use L&S on the freeway unless speeds are sub 40mph.

squirrel15

Forum Captain
Aside from who has started this thread, I'll bring up a point people always tend to forget, tire ratings. Most truck tires are not rated to 100 mph and that's on a vehicle that is not loaded down with a box on the back, or even the weight of a type 2 rig. You start hitting speeds above 80 mph with a vehicle that heavy, with tire ratings of let's say even 90 mph on a regular vehicle. That extra weight will cause those tires to fail sooner. Rubber+air+weight+speed= a three wheel ambulance.

Qulevrius

Nationally Certified Wannabe
It is rural Tennessee interstate, usually between the hours of 0100-0400

Fun fact - try calculating how much time you 'save' by going 90 mph instead of 65-70, then pit it against the amount of risk you put yourself, your partner and your pt in. Especially during the night, while driving a 10,000-14,000 lbs metal box.

Summit

Critical Crazy