Is EMT a flexible side gig, particularly in greater Boston?

boston ruby dev

Forum Ride Along
I run a one man software consulting business that's either really busy or just dead, sometimes for weeks. Can EMTs generally pick their own hours such as 20 hours one week and 60 the next? I've been fixing software for over a decade and I think I'd love fixing people too.

Flying

Mostly Ignorant
I run a one man software consulting business that's either really busy or just dead, sometimes for weeks. Can EMTs generally pick their own hours such as 20 hours one week and 60 the next? I've been fixing software for over a decade and I think I'd love fixing people too.
If you can find a place that offers per diem scheduling, its definitely possible. 60 hours might be pushing it in that case unless if the company is really hurting for people.

Then again, I know folks out there who take multiple PD jobs and are fairly happy.

OP
OP
B

boston ruby dev

Forum Ride Along
Flying, thank you. I suppose my question is Boston specific then. Per diem is popular with nursing here.

Summit

Critical Crazy
The problem with per diem is that employers typically want you to have an experience base to operate from which requires having worked consistently in the field for a bit... at least around here (which is not Boston)

NysEms2117

ex-Parole officer/EMT
again i can't answer for boston, but i can answer for albany i work 12 hrs a week or 12 hrs every other week(1 shift), and am very happy (as is my employer). I wouldn't see why boston would be any different then any other city in the NE, but i could be wrong.

NomadicMedic

I know a guy who knows a guy.
Agreed. Per diem employees are usually experienced and are "plug and play".

Most places like to have employees work full time before moving to part time. That way they don't waste all the resources on training an employee who may only work a few hours a week.

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
Some companies will hire anybody with any skill level and any availability because they are hemmorraging money in overtime or simply haven't met minimum staffing in longer than anybody can remember. A friendly tip, these are usually the companies to run away from as if they were a pile of dynamite with a burning fuse.

Most companies dont hire perdiems with zero experience. You'll most likely have to work at least part time for a particular outfit for awhile before they'll let you drop to per diem.