Is EMS a chore or a way of life

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
I Know alot of people who hate doing EMS but do it anyways and they are the ones i dont like working with not to offend them. I love my job im excited to go to work everyday this is the only thing i could do this or be a FF

james

Forum Crew Member
I love EMS as well and if you dont love it then you should not be in it. They are the reason we have so much problems in EMS today. You have to really love what you do or whats the point in doing it. There are alot of other jobs out there that pay better, so you cant tell me they are in it for the money. If you dont love it then you dont put in the time to continue your ED and better the profesion. But thats just my $.2

OP
OP
Jayxbird521

Jayxbird521

Forum Crew Member
Yea i agree it's a hard job even if you love it you know.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
You will find those that love EMS and those that do not. That is life. Usually, the one that totally "love" it are naive and those that "hate" it really never understand the real reason of it.

What I have found from many of those that hate it; is not they hate EMS rather they hate the problems associated with the job. Too many calls, not enough pay, not enough benefits for working in EMS, etc. Then there are those that expected to have the adrenaline rush all the time, and expect all calls to be a true emergency. Again, unrealistic expectation. Many get irritated by the "Peter Principle" of promotion within in EMS, not being based upon education or experience level.

Those the "love" EMS can be as nauseous as well. Most of those have no realism of the profession. They have little or no experience (<10 yrs) of making back to back real emergency calls, providing in-depth care. Then when the reality does sit in; things that was not so bad; become irritable.

A true understanding of the profession needs to be taught in the beginning. This is much more than the few hours taught in any level. A required active participation while in training for the professional organizations, would allow to understand our profession better.

R/r 911

Pittsburgh Proud

Forum Lieutenant
It's who you are. A lifestyle.
I have been in and out of EMS for over 24 years and you never completely get out when you quit and you will always come back to it. Don't fight it, it is who you are. B)

JPINFV

Gadfly
C. None of the above.

EMS is a job/career/employment [let's just use job]. As with any job, it is important to have a life outside of it. If you don't, then you will burn out and start to despise everyone who doesn't take it as serious as you do. That said, there's a fine line between being upset at someone for not taking it serious (too many providers don't take it serious enough) and it's completely different to take it too serious.

On the other hand, I can not imagine going to work in a field where I would resent everyday. If you feel like Peter from Office Space and think that every day is the worst day of your life (i.e. a chore), then you should probably get out. Now it's one thing to not enjoy a specific part of your job. I'm sure that not everyone likes doing things tantamount to station chores, but it is a weighted aggregate. If mopping the floor is a part of your job description and you dislike it so much that it just ruins your day, then maybe it's time to find a different job or place of employment.

certguy

Forum Captain
It's who you are. A lifestyle.
I have been in and out of EMS for over 24 years and you never completely get out when you quit and you will always come back to it. Don't fight it, it is who you are. B)

Well said Pittsburgh ,

We've got a lot in common . I've been in and out too . 6 yrs. fire , 8 yrs. private amb . Took a 15 yr. hiadus , then got recerted . I can't work a rig anymore but I'm working per diem as an ER tech and volunteering for several agencies in the community . Through it all , I've never lost the bug , though I did get burned out for a while . But your batteries naturally recharge and you're good to go again .

By the way , I'm originally from Lock Haven .

paramedix

Forum Lieutenant
I love it and definitely think its a way of life! I do a lot office work, but miss every moment not being on the road. Whenever I hear the vehicles turn out from downstairs, I just want to drop everything and go with!!!

Still work on the PRV/Ambu whenever I can.