Intravenous Acetaminophen?

tydek07

Forum Captain
Ok, this was brought up in the chat room earlier today. A member stated that he saw the local ER giving Acetaminophen intravenously. I had never heard of it given this route before. I tried researching it on the internet and came up empty handed.

Has anyone else heard of, or seen, it given this route?
And if so... can you provide some info on it?

Thanks,

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
Apparently they're looking at it for a number of things from post gynecological surgery analgesia to post-tonsillectomy analgesia in peds... But as far as seeing it actually being used, can't say that I have.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
IV Tylenol NO! But maybe rectally...

R/r 911

fma08

Forum Asst. Chief
IV Tylenol NO! But maybe rectally...

R/r 911

Why don't we see it given IV in hospital? Is it harder on the liver that way? Just curious.

Scout

Para-Noid
flaskor_neu_litenfor-web.jpg

I being the member, it was up on a .5l drip for a Geriatric, dont knwo what was wrong with them only saw it in passing.

Ridryder911

EMS Guru
Hence the problem, I have never heard or seen such. It is apparently not allowed in U.S. also paracetamol is a.k.a. acetaminophen.

R/r 911

Scout

Para-Noid
Vent they are just form a google page,

The vials are sweedish, but it clearly shows paracetamol aka acetaminophen, in IV form.

It was something i had not seen before and i'm kicking myself i did not look into it further

VentMedic

Forum Chief
It doesn't hurt to be familiar with different meds from other countries. This is especially true in parts of the country that have an international population. You will often see them bringing their own meds or list that healthcare providers must decipher and physicians/pharmacists must find equivalents for maintenance.

This could definitely be of value to make notes as a Paramedic when you see different meds with a patient and see if there is something that can give you a clue about their use.

As an RRT, I always download a list of the latest RT meds from Canada since we get the snowbirds in large flocks during the Winter months.

Healthcare providers of all types start watching meds that are being trialed in other countries to see if they are worthy of their facilities applying to do a study when the opportunity arises. It shouldn't be any different in EMS since there are international or European EMS journals like Resuscitation that have articles about new meds or techniques in every issue.

Last edited by a moderator: