interview attire

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
I know this has been discussed before to some extent. I have a few interviews coming up.

I can not decide if I should go 1) suit, white shirt and tie 2) docker style slacks and button down shirt 3) cargo pants and a plain polo.

I had one interview, I went suit and tie, and I saw people in all three of above.

One concern is if they want to do a practical test on the spot....

I am not considering wearing anything with a logo or EMS/EMT on it :p so don't go there.

I can argue myself into either of those three.

What are your thoughts? I will not post further on the topic after I read everyone's thoughts.

8jimi8

CFRN
suit and tie, shorts and t shirt in the car.

It always amazes me what people wear for interviews. Put your best foot forward. These people are expecting you to try to impress them.

OP
OP
E

emt seeking first job

Forum Asst. Chief
suit and tie, shorts and t shirt in the car.

It always amazes me what people wear for interviews. Put your best foot forward. These people are expecting you to try to impress them.

May I ask what the shorts and t-shirt for ? To change into for a skills or fitness test ?

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Suit and tie.

8jimi8

CFRN

JPINFV

Gadfly
Coat and tie if it's a formal interview. In the end, you are interviewing at a place of business, be it government business or a private business. Dress the part.

LucidResq

Forum Deputy Chief
Oh and for those who are broke and don't have and can't really afford a nice suit... a tip...

I recently bought a very nice, newer wool Banana Republic suit for $6 at a thrift store. It retails for over $300. If I needed to, I could've had it altered for $50 max and it still would've been a steal... but I didn't even need to do that.

DarkStarr

Forum Lieutenant
I wore a full-on suit and tie to my interview Friday.. not sure if it had anything to do with it, but Im in :)

MSDeltaFlt

RRT/NRP
Going for an interview for an EMS position one should dress business casual. Slacks, nice shirt, comfortable shoes or clean/nice boots. No tie, no hat, no t-shirt, no sneakers. Dress for going to work at a business.

Women, business formal is usually frowned upon: strapless tops, high heels, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

thatJeffguy

Forum Lieutenant
Buy a flight suit with lots of reflective tape. Wear a FF hat. Wear your steth. Ask if you can use your own defib on duty. Also, lots of Stars of Life.

:)

Hard to go wrong with a suit and tie. At least nice trousers, a nice pressed shirt and a tie.

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
I have never shown up to any interview with anything less than a suit and tie. Be it for when I was interviewed at Kroger at 17, or my Paramedic position a few months ago.

JPINFV

Gadfly
[joking]
Point of interest, if I interview at someplace now, can I substitute my white coat for a business coat?
[/joking]

reaper

Working Bum
I have never shown up to any interview with anything less than a suit and tie. Be it for when I was interviewed at Kroger at 17, or my Paramedic position a few months ago.

Funny, I have never worn a suit and tie in my life. I have been hired for every job, I have ever interviewed for.

It is not about the attire, it is about how you portray yourself!;)

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
It is not about the attire, it is about how you portray yourself!;)

Which means, as much as we love MrBrown, he'd never get into EMS today if he started now. He's too attached to that Orange jumpsuit with "Doctor" on the back!

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
I vote for shirt and tie. Plenty of people live their lives without suits. Just be respectful.

firetender

Community Leader Emeritus
Ain't you fergetting something?

I vote for shirt and tie.

(I understand you abckidsmom. When you're a medic you're busy and... Though I DO wonder a little about what your kids wear to school.)

underpants (optional unless terribly well hung, in which case make mom's suggestion a very long, wide tie), pants, belt, shined shoes, socks, watch, decent pen in pocket, be sure to have a clean handkerchief, one ring is fine, don't make any tatoos obvious, lose the nose rings and piercings for now, clean/whiten your teeth, shorten and even out your hair just before you go, trim mustache and eyebrows and remove nose/ear hairs, no perfumy stuff, three doses of super aluminum-chlorhydrate unscented deodorant, and most important of all; look 'em in the eye!

abckidsmom

Dances with Patients
(I understand you abckidsmom. When you're a medic you're busy and... Though I DO wonder a little about what your kids wear to school.)

underpants (optional unless terribly well hung, in which case make mom's suggestion a very long, wide tie), pants, belt, shined shoes, socks, watch, decent pen in pocket, be sure to have a clean handkerchief, one ring is fine, don't make any tatoos obvious, lose the nose rings and piercings for now, clean/whiten your teeth, shorten and even out your hair just before you go, trim mustache and eyebrows and remove nose/ear hairs, no perfumy stuff, three doses of super aluminum-chlorhydrate unscented deodorant, and most important of all; look 'em in the eye!

LOL!

We homeschool. Some days we're lucky to get out of pajamas. I'm thankful for the 2 days a week I get up and get in uniform.

Shirt and tie, with pants and shoes. Add in the appropriate undergarments as needed.

And they say I never think I'm wrong...:)