Interview Advice

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Hi guys, I'm new here and I just got my EMT-B cert. last weekend. A little background info on me, I'm 19 and I'm pursuing a career as a firefighter/paramedic.

I was fortunate enough to get an interview with a non-emergency ambulance company in my town that I have heard wonderful things about. They are currently hiring EMT-B's and I was wondering if you guys had any advice for me. I know the usual dress nice, be respectful, make eye contact, etc. stuff, but I'm just wondering what kinds of things they might ask me. Thanks in advance. :)

Shishkabob

Forum Chief
Same things as every other job / career.

Bring a resume. Even if it's pretty much empty, bring one.

Some say wear business casual, I say wear a suit. I wore a suit and was leaps and bounds above the other people who showed up... and guess who got the job?

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
just be able to answer questions on why you want to be in the field. what you think you can bring to the agency. Just be yourself and answer every question honestly!

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
wow, thanks for the quick answers guys. I'm pretty excited for the interview, this is a company I really want to work for.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
let us know how it goes! and good luck!! hope you get the JOB

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Thanks, I'll let you know. The interview is tomorrow afternoon so hopefully I'll know sometime next week. :)

Sail195

Forum Lieutenant
First off Good Luck!! all i can say is be honest, don't sell yourself as something your not to get the job because then you will look bad when you cant make good on what you said.... and just relax and be yourself!!

let us know how you make out

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Thanks for all the advice guys, I really appreciate it, and I will let you know how it goes.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Ok, well I just got a call that my interview was moved to next week, so I'll let you guys know next week lol.

atropine

Forum Captain
1- answer the question at hand.

2- give an example if you can.

3- show hiow it realates to the community at large.

Good Luck :p

Sasha

Forum Chief
My only advice is to be yourself, be well articulated, but don't dress yourself up like a product to be sold with no faults.

Be charismatic, and charm the pants off your interviewer and make them like you.

Afflixion

Forum Captain
My only advice is to be yourself, be well articulated, but don't dress yourself up like a product to be sold with no faults.

Be charismatic, and charm the pants off your interviewer and make them like you.

I was under the impression you want to keep pants on during interviews.

But yes like everyone else said be yourself, dress classy, and don't be nervous!

NorthCoastChick

Forum Probie
But yes like everyone else said be yourself, dress classy, and don't be nervous!

Absolutely don't be nervous. Unless there is only one ems provider in your state or you live on the moon, you're going to get an EMS job near where you want to be. I applied to a company I would have given an arm and a leg to work for, but didn't let desperation to work there come through in the interview. I was positive that even if it didn't work out at that specific company as much as I really really really wanted it to, I would get hired by someone somewhere else. That confident attitude carried me through the interview right into the job I wanted.

BTW, what you learned in class, maybe 40% will be immediately applicable on day one. Maybe. Best thing I've found to do is silent coyote; mouth shut and ears open while my medic tells me what he/she does/doesn't want me to do until I can fall into the groove with that particular partner.

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Ok, I just got done with the interview and I think it went pretty well. I dressed nice, was polite, took notes, researched the company, and asked plenty of questions. He started off by asking me what I knew about their company, then he asked about my driving record and if I had any questions. He asked how long I have been an EMT-B, then he took me out and showed me their shop and vehicles. I just finished writing my thank you note and I can't wait to hear back from them. :D

medichopeful

Flight RN/Paramedic
I just finished writing my thank you note

Very, VERY good decision. A thank you note is a fantastic way to say "I am really interested and I took a lot from our interview." It really makes a good impression.

Hope you get good news soon!

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Very, VERY good decision. A thank you note is a fantastic way to say "I am really interested and I took a lot from our interview." It really makes a good impression.

Hope you get good news soon!

Thank you, so do I lol

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
Its great that you think you did well! Keep us updated :rolleyes:

OP
OP
fast65

fast65

Doogie Howser FP-C
Its great that you think you did well! Keep us updated :rolleyes:
Yeah, I figure I did my best and he seemed to like me so hopefully I'll get the job. I'll make sure to keep you guys updated.

EMT11KDL

Forum Asst. Chief
have you heard anything yet on the job?