International to USA

Dor

Forum Ride Along
HI! I am trained EMT-B in Israel, and have volunteering in ambulances for 3.5 years now. I am planning to move to the USA and wanted to know if I would have to retake the EMT course in order to volunteer/work in the ambulance. Does anyone know?

Never2Old

Forum Crew Member
I am not sure of the type of certification you have in Israel, but unless it is NREMT, you will most likely have to retake an EMT course. Even if it is NREMT, in the US each state has their own requirements, so it would be based on which state you plan to live/practice in. Many of the states now require you to be NREMT certified first in order to get state certification as well. Some states have a separate/additional written and or skills tests. And to confuse matters more, not every state recognizes NREMT, and you can only be certified through the state. So it really depends on the state you are going to, and what their requirements are.

mikeward

Forum Crew Member
Check with the state EMS office that covers the community you are moving to. There are different requirements in every state.

Good luck

MedicBender

Forum Captain
It may be easier (as possibly faster) to retake the EMT-Basic course. Certainly less hassle.

From what I understand, in order to obtain National Registry with an out of country license, you would have to find a school to review and accept your training, then they would authorise you to take the NREMT exams.

twistedMP

Forum Crew Member
Agree with the others take a state side EMT course. Since you are already trained look into one of the emt bootcamps it's a intense 2-3 week course. It will allow you to sit for your licensing exam

hometownmedic5

Forum Asst. Chief
This is the perfect example of when emt boot camp is an acceptable idea. About the only other example I can get my head around is a previously certified person who lapsed and needs to retake. Beyond that, I think its a terrible idea.

I would make a phone call or two to investigate your options re an international transfer of credentials, but I would give up pretty quick and just go find a shake and bake course and get it over with. You could spend a month arguing, negotiating, faxing and emailing and still get denied; or you could spend a month and walk out with a card. Path of least resistance and all that...