Intermediate (85) Respiratory Clinical

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
So, this Friday I have a clinical rotation at a hospital's respiratory unit. I know I am allowed to use all the basic level airway stuff as well as the Combitube and few meds for breathing (Albuterol, Epi if its allergy related, and Benidryl). I was wondering what things I should ask, what things should I look out to see, in terms of a good learning experience and so forth. Thanks in advance!

And yes, in lab, I have intubated, only on a dummy of course.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Hasn't anyone here done a respiratory clinical and can share some thoughts with me?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
Only done them at the Medic level. It's just like any other clinical, just geared towards respiratory. Are you shadowing an RRT?

Listen to every patient you can, it's the only way you will get good at listening to lung sounds.

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
Only done them at the Medic level. It's just like any other clinical, just geared towards respiratory. Are you shadowing an RRT?

Listen to every patient you can, it's the only way you will get good at listening to lung sounds.

Not sure yet. And do you think it would be out of line to ask I can try a nasal canulla or Norbie's as I never have?

OP
OP
EMT91

EMT91

Forum Lieutenant
So, I followed an RRT. It was interesting. Got to administer some albuterol a few times (Felt so silly for being all hyped up about finally giving a med), got to listen to some lung sounds, watched a patient on the vent being given a jugular dialysis cath, (venicath I think its called) and general assessment. Saw some Bipap,cpap stuff too.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief

Incorrect. When I was in Intermediate school we did ETT in the OR, etc etc. It was part of our scope.

Tigger

Dodges Pucks
Community Leader
Incorrect. When I was in Intermediate school we did ETT in the OR, etc etc. It was part of our scope.

I don't think he's talking about ETT at all, seeing as ETT is not ever mentioned. I think he's talking about never having done a respiratory clinical for Intermediate school, just medic.

bstone

Forum Deputy Chief
I don't think he's talking about ETT at all, seeing as ETT is not ever mentioned. I think he's talking about never having done a respiratory clinical for Intermediate school, just medic.

That's what I meant, I could have been more clear.