Incomplete classes

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Hello all,

I'm currently in an EMT-B Original Course. I was an EMT years ago, but so many years have passed since my cert expired that I opted not to refresh so that I can get a thorough curriculum. However, the Instructor is not using the textbook the company requested the students obtain. Also, he is all too often digressing by throwing in "let me tell you guys about this one time I was on this call and...", and for our CPR class last week, we didn't go into much detail (outside of watching the video), and when it came to practice on the mannequins we didn't do all the moves shown, and for the written test, a few students failed. We, as a group, have spoken to one another outside the class. I'd like to ask feedback from you all on how to approach the Instructor. Even the company itself is a bit unorganized, but they've been in business for years teaching basic and refresher courses. Any advice is welcomed.

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Sounds like a tough situation, Estrella. Suppose a small group of students approached the instructor after class? If you gave a few specific examples of your concerns, he might listen. It's unlikely he'd throw you all out, if he were that kind of guy. You'd all have to be polite and business-like, and not let anything he says make you react emotionally. Best case, he adjusts his behavior slightly without holding a grudge. Worst case, he ends up liking you less than before, and you'd have to work harder to get the same results.

DrParasite

The fire extinguisher is not just for show
speak to the instructor, being as objective as possible (the company requested we buy this textbook, but you aren't using it, the stories aren't helping the learning process, etc). If you don't have a positive outcome, schedule a meeting with whomever is above him at the company, again using objective issues, and have them all written down before you go into your meeting.

NPO

Forum Deputy Chief
My personal advice, is get into a different class if you can.

Unless all you want is your name on a NREMT card that is. From my experience "war story instructors" are more interested in telling you their own anecdotal experiences rather than sound practice. You'll get better education from a different instructor.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
Sounds like a tough situation, Estrella. Suppose a small group of students approached the instructor after class? If you gave a few specific examples of your concerns, he might listen. It's unlikely he'd throw you all out, if he were that kind of guy. You'd all have to be polite and business-like, and not let anything he says make you react emotionally. Best case, he adjusts his behavior slightly without holding a grudge. Worst case, he ends up liking you less than before, and you'd have to work harder to get the same results.

Thanks, MGR. I appreciate the feedback. I will talk with him upon his return, he's out on vacay now so we have an alternate instructor doing practicals with us. I'll heed your advice and approach him gently. If I convey to him that myself (and the other students) are not fully comprehending the content or that we have been tested on things he didn't cover, I'm almost sure he will review the material with us. He's not a bad person, he's just breezing through the course.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
speak to the instructor, being as objective as possible (the company requested we buy this textbook, but you aren't using it, the stories aren't helping the learning process, etc). If you don't have a positive outcome, schedule a meeting with whomever is above him at the company, again using objective issues, and have them all written down before you go into your meeting.

DrParasite, that's a great idea. I'll write the things down for talking points. Thanks.

OP
OP
CityEMT212

CityEMT212

Forum Crew Member
My personal advice, is get into a different class if you can.

Unless all you want is your name on a NREMT card that is. From my experience "war story instructors" are more interested in telling you their own anecdotal experiences rather than sound practice. You'll get better education from a different instructor.

NPO, I've thought about that. I even went so far as to inquire how to possibly request a refund. I was pacified by the agency staff in that they will also speak with the instructor. However, if I still feel nothing will change in the next few classes I will withdraw. I would absolutely want a thorough education, and to not cut any corners and be at risk of failing practicals and my state exam. I'll start looking at other places that teach this course this week. Thanks.