In Your Pockets?

Simusid

Forum Captain
Here's my next "Newbie EMT-B" (tm) question. I just had my first real shift on friday night (mostly uneventful but thats ok) so I was officially in uniform for the very first time. As you know, medic pants have LOTS of pockets.... what do you keep in yours? And what other stuff do you carry?

All I had was a pair of gloves and trauma shears.

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
I keep a big button labeled 'SEARCH' in them.

medicdan

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member

ki4mus

Forum Crew Member
walet, phone, knife....i mean "rescue tool", gloves...

el Murpharino

Forum Captain
walet, phone, knife....i mean "rescue tool", gloves...

What is everyone's fascination with carrying a knife on them? In my 10 years, I've never had to use a knife for anything...but I've heard of a few times - not many, but a few - where it has been yanked out of their front pocket (where it is conveniently clipped) and used as a weapon.

Does the benefit outweigh the risks?

TransportJockey

Forum Chief
What is everyone's fascination with carrying a knife on them? In my 10 years, I've never had to use a knife for anything...but I've heard of a few times - not many, but a few - where it has been yanked out of their front pocket (where it is conveniently clipped) and used as a weapon.

To be honest I'm not sure either. I don't carry a knife on duty. I do carry one off duty, but I also carry a firearm off duty as well, so a knife is something I consider a must carry at that point.

medic417

The Truth Provider

I use my knife several times a day. Every time I see dirt under my finger nails I pull my knife out and clean under my nails.

As to them taking my knife then I would have an excuse to fast draw my firearm.:rolleyes: ( Now we wait for Vent and Sasha to come attack me saying I would just provoke the guy with the knife and because I am excited would probably shoot everybody but the guy with the knife and.............):p

Sasha

Forum Chief
Pocket lint.

medic417

The Truth Provider

Barney_Fife

Forum Crew Member
That's great ArkansasFlightMedic. Super.

Maybe get pants with out cargo pockets. I feel more comfortable, in a plain pair of slacks, with no more pockets than a normal pair of pants.

akflightmedic

Forum Deputy Chief
That's great ArkansasFlightMedic. Super.

Maybe get pants with out cargo pockets. I feel more comfortable, in a plain pair of slacks, with no more pockets than a normal pair of pants.

If only AK stood for Arkansas, the joke might of been funny.

Sasha

Forum Chief
If only AK stood for Arkansas, the joke might of been funny.

Don't worry arflightmedic.. no one cares that you're from Arkansas. The south just makes you a little more.... colorful

HotelCo

Forum Deputy Chief
I carry a knife and use it often. When on duty it's clipped inside a slot that is inside my cargo pocket. Easy access for me, but a patient wouldn't even know it's there. So, I'm not overly concerned about a patient taking it. As for other things: wallet, keys, phone and an extra pair of gloves.

Last edited by a moderator:

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
In my scrubs I carry an extra non disposable pulse ox cable (I really hate not having one when I am putting a trauma patient on monitor), my I-Pod touch,pens,lab cheat sheet(for draws),gum, $5.00 for break (if I get one)and an extra pair of gloves. I keep a pair of trauma shears and a roll of tape clipped to my pants with hemostats. When I work peds I also have my stethoscope for counting respiration's on the little ones. I quit wearing mine around my neck after my first orientation shift, tech with stethoscope around neck = tool.

My turnouts are a different story but only the other fire guys would relate to or understand the nifty high tech stuff we carry in our pockets or tucked in our helmets. Maybe some of the other fire guys would like to chime in. For those unfamiliar with the fire service or those interested in someday being a FF there are a couple of threads on firecareers.com titled what do you carry in your turnouts, specifically look for the post by Truckman(a true old school truckie) in case you if you ever wondered whats in a fireman's pants. I meant pockets!

medic417

The Truth Provider
. For those unfamiliar with the fire service or those interested in someday being a FF there are a couple of threads on firecareers.com titled what do you carry in your turnouts, in case you if you ever wondered whats in a fireman's pants. I meant pockets!

Nope never wondered as it is obvious they are compensating for lack of.......

Level1pedstech

Forum Captain
I should have seen that coming. I will be sure to pass that on to the medics in the rehab trailer next time they are standing by on a structure response handing out water to the first in hose line and ventilation crews, Im sure it will get lots of chuckles.

WolfmanHarris

Forum Asst. Chief
I keep more than I probably should; but I also overpack when I go camping.

Shirt pocket: notepad and pen
Front pant pockets: truck keys (my car keys stay in my bag and I stopped clipping the work keys to my shirt awhile ago) and usually random stuff from the course of the day
Rear pant pockets: Wallet
L cargo: I try to keep empty so I lay on that side and so that collected wrappers, extra rhythm strips and electrode backings from call go in a little baggie there and then the garbage rather than get left on scene or tossed in an equipment bag,
R cargo: Penlight, pen and shears in their appropriate slots on the pocket, service field guide, pocket pharmaceutical guide. (Been looking at some great cargo pocket organizers, so that I can leave the stuff on the dash with my steth and just toss it in my pocket when the tones go off)
Belt: Phone, mini leatherman.

That's what's on me for every call; my duty bag has my various issued PPE (the trucks are all stocked as well of course, but to ensure we are never without PPE we are all given our own boxes as needed), flashlights, helmet, info for pt.'s families on community programs or the local hospital locations, hard candies and granola bars, extra pens, camp pillow and blanket (for standby's), a pathophysiology book, Merck manual of Patient Symptoms, novel on the go, copy of the Collective Agreement, rain coat and ANSI vest.

This is the pocket organizer I've been looking at.
http://www.candfsupply.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=255