In need of some advice

Nikkimerg26

Forum Ride Along
Hi! This might sound silly but just looking for some advice from people in the Ems world.
I've always had a desire to help people, so I took an emt class almost two years ago. Loved everything about it! Unfortunately, I've never been a good test taker and always give myself terrible anxiety! I took the Nremt test and I didn't pass. I didn't get discouraged because I heard that would happen. No excuse but at the time I was going through a terrible relationship, and also working full time as a bar manager. I got distracted and slowly lost the amazing feeling I felt during my clinicals and never retested. Two months ago I took a job at the hospital in the business registration department. I instantly got that feeling and drive back to excel in ems! I've been studying with some of the ER nurses and asking questions and trying to go through my book and notes from class. I know I'm cutting it close with my certification running out but was hoping I get some tips if I'm going in the right direction with studying or any suggestions?

mgr22

Forum Deputy Chief
Nikkimerg26, you mentioned you're not a good test taker. Have you done anything to try and get better at that? If not, you may be setting yourself up for the same outcome, regardless of your enthusiasm.

Do you think anxiety makes you a bad test taker, or does the anxiety come afterwards? Can you think of anything else that contributes to poor performance on tests? What sort of tests are hardest for you? Practical? Multiple choice? Any others?

Have you had any successes taking tests? How did you do with tests in school? How recently?