In field amputations

Achilles

Forum Moron
Just a few questions regarding in field amputations....

Does your agency have anything in the protocols regarding in-field amputations? I'm sure it is pretty infrequent that an amputation needs to be performed in the field. But what if it does, Suppose the nearest trauma surgeon is an hour away, Should a department have someone that is trained in amputating? It would be a last resort for an entanglement as you can't always take something apart to where you can get the PT out. Is there even a need for this to be placed in protocols? Use in man made disaster or natural disaster may be beneficial. What are your views on Field amputations.

Thanks,
Andrew

rwik123

Forum Asst. Chief
The only facility we transport to is a Level 1. It falls under major trauma in our protocols...bilateral large bore access, fluid bolus ect.

JPINFV

Gadfly
The only facility we transport to is a Level 1. It falls under major trauma in our protocols...bilateral large bore access, fluid bolus ect.

I believe the topic is about performing prehospital amputation, not management of amputations.

Clare

Forum Asst. Chief
There are several reports of out-of-hospital amputations during the Christchurch earthquakes.

rescue1

Forum Asst. Chief
Just a few questions regarding in field amputations....

Does your agency have anything in the protocols regarding in-field amputations? I'm sure it is pretty infrequent that an amputation needs to be performed in the field. But what if it does, Suppose the nearest trauma surgeon is an hour away, Should a department have someone that is trained in amputating? It would be a last resort for an entanglement as you can't always take something apart to where you can get the PT out. Is there even a need for this to be placed in protocols? Use in man made disaster or natural disaster may be beneficial. What are your views on Field amputations.

Thanks,
Andrew

Maryland allows for the activation of Shock Trauma's Go-Team, which is a team of nurses and doctors from the hospital flown to the scene by the state police helicopter, or transported by private ambulance by ground in inclement weather. The usual reason for the activation is for amputations due to extreme entrapment.

Maryland usually doesn't have the most steller EMS protocols, but being able to get a trauma surgeon in 30 or so minutes from almost anywhere in the state was nice. I never activated the team while I was there though.

VFlutter

Flight Nurse
Maryland allows for the activation of Shock Trauma's Go-Team, which is a team of nurses and doctors from the hospital flown to the scene by the state police helicopter, or transported by private ambulance by ground in inclement weather. The usual reason for the activation is for amputations due to extreme entrapment.

Maryland usually doesn't have the most steller EMS protocols, but being able to get a trauma surgeon in 30 or so minutes from almost anywhere in the state was nice. I never activated the team while I was there though.

Shock Trauma has a new grad RN residency program in their Trauma ICU. I was so tempted to apply and move there just for that

STXmedic

Forum Burnout
Premium Member
I've been a part of one, which was fairly recently. I transported the trauma surgeon to the scene, and was his second pair of hands. Our HEMS medics were in charge of sedation.

As far as a paramedic doing a field amputation, I don't see it happening; there certainly aren't any protocols set forth on it, either.

JPINFV

Gadfly
I know the county hospital that I did my gen surg rotation at (Arrowhead Regional Medical Center) has a go bag in the trauma bay for field amputations. I don't know what the activation procedure is for it though.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
Slip in a couple quarters?

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We don't have a protocol for it but I'm pretty sure that in a situation where we needed one a quick phone call would get a Trauma Surgeon to the scene either by HEMS, PD or one of our supervisors in a timely fashion.

Haven't heard of it happening here though.

FLdoc2011

Forum Captain
I'm not a surgeon or in the field so I can't speak to protocols around here. But generally speaking I don't see this being in the EMS realm. In those rare instances it's needed I think it's going to be a matter of getting a surgeon to the scene, via whatever protocol needs to be activated.

Extreme rural situations may be another issue, if its just not possible to get a surgeon there.

Any reports of EMS performed amputations in rural settings?

EMDispatch

IAED EMD-Q/EMT

I've had the experience of activating them, and having them stand down. We were quoted 45 minutes plus travel time for activation on a Sunday afternoon. Unfortunately with the weather we have here, half the time we would wouldn't be able to fly them, so we'd have a significantly longer wait.

I think FDNY at one point had 1 or 2 designated field surgeons, but I read that many years ago before they implemented their rescue and haz-tac programs.

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
This is of course hear say, and a crazy tale... so cut me some slack,- but cool story.
I know a 20 year veteran Paramedic that I worked with for a while. He came close to doing a field amputation but did not actually go through with it. First on scene, on arrival medic found a man trapped in a car on fire, secondary to an MVA. He was partially engulfed in flames and literary burning to death on arrival. The entire inside of the car was ablaze. Patient appeared to be GCS 15 screaming in agony for help.

The medic I know tried everything he could to free him, including burning his own hands trying to free the man, but to no avail. The man had 1 extremity pined that was keeping him from being extracted. The paramedics ambulance had a "sawzall" and the fire department was no where to be seen. He grabbed the sawzall and returned to the man. He was ready to do a field amputation right then and there, but luckily the extremity had been burned so badly the tissue simply sluffed off. So on one last try the medic pulled him out of the vehicle.

Pretty crazy to think about right? I am sure the chances of this happening are slim, but it can still happen. What would you do?

Last edited by a moderator:

medicsb

Forum Asst. Chief
NJ has 2-3 trauma surgeons on call in fly-car type vehicles that can be called to scenes for prehospital amputations. They also can perform blood transfusions.

http://www.jems.com/article/major-incidents/monoc-program-brings-physicians-ems-call

Those vehicles are staffed by either EM docs or EMS fellows. Regardless, they could do an amputation, But I imagine that they might call in a surgeon if possible.

There is an EM doc in Philly, Dr. David Jaslow, that has done 2 amputations. One while he was an EMS fellow in DC (I might be wrong on this part) and the other was done in Bucks County, PA.

There was a discussion on this topic on trauma.org. There seemed to be a consensus, if i recall correctly, that there should only be protocolization of physician notification and retrieval, but no protocol for the actual procedure. Some suggested a good tourniquet and using anything that could cut the limb (e.g. circular saw or jaws of life if need be).

NJEMT95

Forum Lieutenant
Then of course, there's Chicago Fire where a firefighter uses a saw to amputate a guy's leg and record his dying words to his wife...

ExpatMedic0

MS, NRP
Then of course, there's Chicago Fire where a firefighter uses a saw to amputate a guy's leg and record his dying words to his wife...

say what? source?