Illegal immigrant to sue First Responders who rescued him for taking too long.

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
And this is what is wrong with this country; we are going to :censored::censored::censored::censored: at lightning speed.

So a person who is not in this country legally is sueing the dive team, rescuers, firefighters, EMTs, police, etc (all first responders) who literally saved his life because they took too long to pull him from his vehicle that he illegally drove into a washed out road. What a piece of :censored::censored::censored::censored:!

Instead of immigration showing up at his door and putting his *** on the deportation bus he's going on national news media outlets to tell his story.
We now have to placate this man, and his extreme case of bulls***itis.

It is early in the process and the case might be shot down, but the fact that this gained any traction at all is enraging to me.

This idiot who placed himself in danger due his own stupidness (not unusual to see in our line of work) should be fined! He should have to pay, not the other way around. He "needs money for bills" W...T...F?!?!?! So does everyone, but I'm not sueing for nonsense for 500k...
He clearly states in probably what little English he knows that he's suing to help pay his bills, which should automatically discredit his "shoulder injury" reason.
Ugh!!!! I'm in disbelief.

Rant over.

http://www.examiner.com/article/ill...rs-who-rescued-him-from-flood-waters-colorado

Video:

http://www.local12.com/news/feature...him-from-flood-waters-wkrc.shtml#.UyX9U6a9K0c

Last edited by a moderator:

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
I'm not going to say what I think because it's not going to be a popular opinion.

But I agree with you

Medic Tim

Forum Deputy Chief
Premium Member
When I was in the us on a student visa I was told I couldn't sue and had no rights / freedoms as I was not a us citizen . I thought it was some bs from the border guard but it blows my mind how an illegal can use us court system for personal gain.

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
One of the stories that I read, said he was in the car with his wife and brother.. His wife and brother were rescued, and notified the FFers that there was still one more family member in the car, which the rescuers denied because they didn't see him..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Colorado-floods-set-sue-rescuers-500-000.html

Ortiz’s wife and brother were both saved before him and the document claims officials ignored their pleas for help for him.

Immigration status aside, I don't care. Human is a human is a human. That'll get sorted out.. I do care if fellow emergency personnel are doing their jobs properly.. What if, WHAT IF, those rescuers really did ignore the family members and they didn't check the car properly?

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
One of the stories that I read, said he was in the car with his wife and brother.. His wife and brother were rescued, and notified the FFers that there was still one more family member in the car, which the rescuers denied because they didn't see him..

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...Colorado-floods-set-sue-rescuers-500-000.html

Immigration status aside, I don't care. Human is a human is a human. That'll get sorted out.. I do care if fellow emergency personnel are doing their jobs properly.. What if, WHAT IF, those rescuers really did ignore the family members and they didn't check the car properly?

You can't rescue what you can't see.

Handsome Robb

Youngin'
Premium Member
We're not playing the what if game. They rescued him. He's alive. He's suing the people that saved him and his family members' lives.

He's a dirtbag.

So he admitted that he's hear illegally, why hasn't ICE scooped him and his family and deported him. Whys he still walking free, he public ally admitted to breaking federal law...

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
You can't rescue what you can't see.

If you look like his wife told them to.. A huge fat man in the backseat of a Grand Prix? It's not like it was a school bus.

I know I have an unpopular opinion on this one. It's hard to not want to automatically be loyal to the people in our field of work.. Maybe I'm a cynical old hag, but looking at the photos just makes me wonder.. I honestly don't think they looked for him until they broke the rear driver's side window and his head popped out.

If it's true that his brother and his wife were pleading with rescuers to go back, and the rescuers refused because they doubted his existence, then that's pretty darned shameful.

If the waters were too dangerous to go back in, that's obviously different..

I want to see what the investigation uncovers on this one. I mean, lookit the dude, he's huge. You'd just have to stick your head in the car and look.

colorado%20flood%20victim%20roy%20ortiz_1394469494655_3351322_ver1.0_640_480.jpg

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
What if what if what if it wasn't safe to go in as rapidly as they could.

Scene safety is number one. I highly doubt they ignored the family and scoffed at them and then cracked open some beers and had a safety nap before going in to rescue him.

Swift water rescue is a dynamic, ever changing, beast of a scene.

How about a "thank you."

I'm tired of this politically correct PR bs by the fire dept too, they ought to suspend their swift water rescue program and put up notices in flood areas like private pools do "Warning, no lifeguard on duty, enter at your own risk!"

If I went to Tijauna, Mexico illegally and did not speak Spanish that well, and got into a situation where I needed to be rescued... I would not expect to be rescued. I would not expect for them to get to me with their shanty training and equipment. I'd say a prayer and kiss my butt goodbye... Furthermore, if I was rescued and attempted to sue them (for anything) I would likely be jailed and/or deported and laughed at by the immigration police as they called me estupido gringo. You know why? Because it would be true... I would be stupid whitey for pulling some dumb stunt like that, and I'd deserve to be laughed at and jailed---- just like this guy should be!

Household6

Forum Asst. Chief
Premium Member
We're not playing the what if game. They rescued him. He's alive. He's suing the people that saved him and his family members' lives.

He's a dirtbag.

So he admitted that he's hear illegally, why hasn't ICE scooped him and his family and deported him. Whys he still walking free, he public ally admitted to breaking federal law...

I know I don't have to tell you of the 4 criteria to be met for negligence.. He says he has shoulder damage as a result of being left in the car. I want to know if the EMS guys breached their duty to act by ignoring the other family members telling them that there was still one more in the car.

Whether or not he has damage as a result of being in there for 2 hours is up to his doc. It's possible.. What if it was a baby in a carseat instead of a fat adult male?

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
His wife.....
Who is likely from a impoverished background too is not going to say "no honey lets not try to get $500,000".... Mind you she'd have to say that in Spanish, because she doesn't speak Engrish. Which is also another possible contributing factor in why they took a little longer than expected. Language barrier.
You'd just have to stick your head in the car and look.
It is not even remotely close to simply sticking your head in and looking while you're in swift water next to an unstable 3500 pound piece of machinery bobbling around under water with who knows what flowing rapidly from upstream that could possibly hit you/wedge you/kill you.... As I stated. It is a beast of a scene, and their are a million factors you don't know when you're an observer.

Brandon O

Puzzled by facies
Doubt it'll go anywhere. Within the standard of care and operating in good faith, most places have liability protection for professional responders.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I'm tending to agree with Household6 IF the story that he posted has merit. We, as rescuers, are tasked with rescuing/saving people's lives. if we just brought two (apparently) competent and coherent people out of the car and they tell us there is a third person still in the car, why should we not believe them? Again, this is based on the side of the story that the daily mail article presents. It is not our job as rescuers to be the judge, jury, and executioner. heck, that constitutes none of our job. We are there to make sure people can get to the judge, jury, and executioner. As to him being able to sue as an illegal. Should he be able to? Probably not. But should we disregard human life and say its okay to let illegals die in a river because they don't have a passport? no.

PotatoMedic

Has no idea what I'm doing.
If you look like his wife told them to.. A huge fat man in the backseat of a Grand Prix? It's not like it was a school bus.[\quote]

The department I was on had a swift water team. It is a VERY dangerous type of rescue. Even "slow" water can be deadly and were talking about flooding land slide conditions. So you have fast water with crap in it and you can't see further then an inch under water if your lucky. And you really don't go under unless you have dive gear on which I saw none of them had. So yeah the guy could have been 500lbs in that van and I can believe that they could not have seen him. And have you ever tried to open a door against a current? And I'm not going down stream of that car to try a door on that side for any reason. Maybe if I see him in there but that would be my last option. Because if that car goes and I'm down stream of it. I get squished. And I don't like being squished. You see a few people in the water. What you don't see is the chief calling the army corps of engineers asking about how many cfm of water is flowing. The many people on shore holding ropes. The team up stream watching for objects and changing conditions and the team down stream in case someone gets loose and has to be rescued. It is a lot of work. Very dangerous and not as easy as you think. And again. You can tell me there is a unicorn in the car and I'll believe you you, but if I can't see it I can't rescue it.

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I didn't say "let illegals die" because "they don't have a passport."

Firstly, having a passport has zero to do with illegally entering,and working, and living and driving without a license/insurance, and contributing to the problem of eating up public welfare while not contributing anything of value to American culture and society, etcetera. (Unless of course he works at a Bertos and makes California burritos. Joke, but I do love Cali burritos.)

What I said was round them up, this dude and his family, and deport them. And perhaps laugh them out, so that others are not inclined to take similar actions with frivolous lawsuits because they have bills to pay and no one but themselves to blame. Especially when they get their (and their family's) life literally saved, and then attempt to turn around and sue the life savers. This isn't some hobo ETOH "oh I'm a hero" transport. These folks acted in good faith and placed their lives in imminent danger to save these clowns who clearly can't drive to begin with. "Oh there should have been a sign!" NO you should have been paying attention to the road, clearly you were not. They are literal heroes, and should be commended for their action. And I will say these things because they cannot.

You need rescuing, you get rescued. Likewise, you need treatment you get treatment. Regardless of where you come from, your beliefs, your culture, or your skin color. In not being a bigot. I don't care to argue black vs white vs Arab vs Hispanics vs little green men. I treat all of my patients the same, including this very same individual if it was necessary.

However, I do care to have a grown up discussion and to enact a plan to bring to light the toll that illegal immigration is taking, and how said immigrants make irrelevant demands on American society. It's such a hot button discussion in which the opposing parties label you a racist for not just going with the flow if you speak out. It's not a white American problem, it is an American problem. For all those who were Naturalized Citizens and followed the law, and for all of us who pay into systems and programs that we will likely never need or use. It's an integral piece of the healthcare costs debate and Medicaid/Medicare. If I get really sick or injured, guess what... I'll probably go bankrupt, even with my redonkulous health insurance scam of a policy. Meanwhile, illegals are lining up for handouts and getting them. That is not to say it is only illegals, scum who abuse the system are everywhere, but starting with the illegals is a good start, because at least we can legally get rid of them (if we had any balls to do it.)

My compare and contrast was to that point. You think they have English DMV tests in Mexico (if they have any at all?) No. They don't change their society for us... You think if I was on TV as an identified illegal (criminal) immigrant that I would not be immediately jailed in Sonora? I assure you I would, and they wouldn't pay for my healthcare or pay much attention to my safety/well being while I was locked up abroad either.

I apologize for swinging this into a debate about immigration, but it is a part of this news story highlighting a growing problematic trend.

MonkeyArrow

Forum Asst. Chief
I would've quoted you, but it was a lengthy post, so I will just respond to you. I do not think that anyone here is arguing with you about illegals being here and how they shouldn't. It is not a coincidence why they are called illegals. I think the issues that many of us were responding to was the story about the standard of care that he did or did not receive. All I'm saying is that the crew should not have blown off the family's claims according to Household6 which you agreed with earlier. So, I'm not quite sure what were disagreeing about anymore?:unsure:

OP
OP
SandpitMedic

SandpitMedic

Crowd pleaser
I don't think they blew off claims.

I think they didn't understand HP (Hispanic panic) Spanish and had to gear up and possibly wait for more personell or maybe there was a shopping cart or a log coming downstream their way and couldn't go in right away. I don't blame the responders whatsoever. They get the benefit of the doubt from me; not the illegal idiot.

I'm just fired up man. The guy should be accosted and deported instead of put on TV as some sort of validation or immigrant rights demonstration. It gets me mad man. That's all.

Christopher

Forum Deputy Chief
This man's lawsuit is nowhere near the most frivolous I've seen or heard about.

You should be celebrating it anyways, the most American thing you can do is sue somebody. Get ahead by stepping on others: 'Murrica.

Unpopular opinion time: If you're wronged, you're (possibly) due your day in court (and any damages) regardless of immigration status. Just because somebody isn't "Amurrican" (luck? fortune? divine intervention?) doesn't mean we should treat them as subhuman.

(blah blah blah constitution blah blah blah, white folk sure got it hard)

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
While even perfect I has private reservations about people I think I will not to stop to help, I know I will anyway. If I predicate medical treatment upon any personal aspects like country of origin, religion, sexual orientation etc., I'm not being a medical person, I'm being an ICE agent, cop, or at least an armchair moralist. One more rock on the road to EMS professional status.

Anyone who hasn't been threatened by distraught patients or others, in the midst of helping them, has a lot of experiencing to do. ;)

Otherwise, I've known people who reluctantly sued because their medical bills would ruin them.

Read Grisham's "King of Torts" for a good read and a hard look at how the lawsuit industry works. Remember that every suit which progresses was brought by a lawyer and entertained by a judge.

mycrofft

Still crazy but elsewhere
When I was in the us on a student visa I was told I couldn't sue and had no rights / freedoms as I was not a us citizen . I thought it was some bs from the border guard but it blows my mind how an illegal can use us court system for personal gain.

It was some border officer'ss BS.

CALEMT

The Other Guy/ Paramaybe?

He's a dirtbag.

Agreed.